Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
kay1864
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent Dragon View Post
However, just because they say that your personal information isn't stored in the band doesn't make it true.
Please tell me, since Disney ALREADY has all my personal info in my MDE profile...

why would they put it on the bands as well?
kay1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #32
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay1864 View Post
Please tell me, since Disney ALREADY has all my personal info in my MDE profile...

why would they put it on the bands as well?
Because a conspiracy theory wouldn't be as fun.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #33
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Ok, I actually had not thought of this until I read this thread, but.......even if they are not keeping your info on the band, could someone with a receiver grab your ID, write it to some other device/media (like stealing garage door codes), and then charge to it later? Is that even possible? Personally I don't care if Disney tracks me (ditto the bus comment and LOL)--maybe I'll get a coupon at some point HA. But I really don't want someone buying a sofa-size print at Art of Disney and charging it to my room....any techies know if this is possible?
cgattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #34
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgattis View Post
Ok, I actually had not thought of this until I read this thread, but.......even if they are not keeping your info on the band, could someone with a receiver grab your ID, write it to some other device/media (like stealing garage door codes), and then charge to it later? Is that even possible? Personally I don't care if Disney tracks me (ditto the bus comment and LOL)--maybe I'll get a coupon at some point HA. But I really don't want someone buying a sofa-size print at Art of Disney and charging it to my room....any techies know if this is possible?
They would need to know your pin, which you choose so it would be nearly impossible. They also wouldn't be able to use it for park admission because you need to scan your finger.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #35
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

If you look at the bottom of the current fastpass tickets, it prints your ticket #. So they know which rides you pulled them for and the times (if you used an AP or KTTW).
Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #36
BuzzBelleMom
DIS Veteran

Old 10-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #37
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

For all those arguing on here, and those trolling...eh em.

I believe there was a post here in the rumors board where someone decoded a magic band and showed exactly what's in it, so rather than arguing over he said she said, maybe use the search function.

I'll save a step. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3171483

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- '13
CSR- '13

Last edited by Son of Gadsden; 10-21-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #38
BayouMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gadsden View Post

I believe there was a post here in the rumors board where someone decoded a magic band and showed exactly what's in it, so rather than attacking each other like a pack of rabid dogs, maybe use the search function.
why you gotta take the fun outta everything?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #39
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
why you gotta take the fun outta everything?
Because I'm a Redskins fan and Bob Costas is still alive.

You asked.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- '13
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #40
BayouMickey

Quote:
Because I'm a Redskins fan and Bob Costas is still alive.

You asked.
answer.... validated!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #41
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Gothel View Post
Has anybody found some affordable RFID blocking bags that are just the right size to hold a magic band or two?

If so, could you please tell me where you found them?
A computer store or electronics store should have them. You are looking for a plastic (Mylar) static bag that they ship computer cards or parts in. They are plastic but have a metallic coating on them. You may even swing by a local computer shop and see if they have one they would be willing to give you. You can also store them in a metal can or anything that is metal all around. You can also get some fine mesh metal window screen and make it into an envelop. The metallic plastic bag or screen creates a Faraday cage that blocks RF signals. If in a pinch, you can also wrap them in aluminum foil...same deal. The bands are passive and active but they usually do not transmit unless told to do so. Blocking the trigger signal keeps them "off" so to speak. They are always listening but only transmitting when asked to do so.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #42
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
The readers can't even read the stupid chip if it is not 100% perfectly lined up. They can't get proper wifi in the parks. And you think they can read whether you are on a bus or in the bathroom ?? It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

And I'd like Disney to read that I'm waiting at the bus stop and have been for 30+ mins. Read it and get a darn bus out there!
So dang true, all of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent Dragon View Post
However, just because they say that your personal information isn't stored in the band doesn't make it true.
But WHY do you think they would put info like CC onto the band? That's just opening themselves up to problems.

And why not just get the card? WHY get the band at all? From the info in the box the bands came in:

"If you prefer, you may alect to use an RF card instead of a MagicBand. The card contains a passive HF radio frequency chip and cannot be detected by the long-range readers. You can learn more about our privacy and data collection policies by visiting MyDisneyExperience.com/privacy."

Instead of getting the bands then blocking them, just use the card.

Quote:

I believe there was a post here in the rumors board where someone decoded a magic band and showed exactly what's in it, so rather than arguing over he said she said, maybe use the search function.

I'll save a step. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3171483
I'll save another. PF said "I would find it highly dubious if Disney put one's address and credit card number in the MagicBand's encrypted storage. In a PCI DSS audit I don't think having the credit card data in there would fly even if it was encrypted. More than likely any credit card data is secured in Disney's servers where they have more control over the encrypted data.

If one were to worry about RFIDs, worry about credit cards that have RFIDs and how easily it would be to steal that information, the data that is kept on one's passport, and the data that's on one's state ID. I would be more concerned with the data mining on me done by every single company I do business with than one RFID chip that could be used to triangulate my location in a theme park that I'm going to attend for a week."

RFID blocking bags are stinkin' heavy. Not something I want to carry around at a themepark! I'd get the cards and not use the bands if I were worried.

And I would trust the legally-vetted info that they give us, which is that our CC info is not ON the bands, but is on the accounts.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #43
Spacepest
Mouseketeer

Just in case this isn't a troll post, and is a legitimate concern...

I work with RFID tags. Something as simple as a small, foil lined lunch tote will interfere with many RFID signals. No need to buy expensive wallets when you could probably get a small insulated lunch bag to stick your band in. These types of bags are easy to find...heck, some grocery stores resell them as re-useable bags in their check out lanes!

Personally, I plan on using my magicband but I also believe in giving people options.
Spacepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #44
Mother Gothel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepest View Post
Just in case this isn't a troll post, and is a legitimate concern...

I work with RFID tags. Something as simple as a small, foil lined lunch tote will interfere with many RFID signals. No need to buy expensive wallets when you could probably get a small insulated lunch bag to stick your band in. These types of bags are easy to find...heck, some grocery stores resell them as re-useable bags in their check out lanes!

Personally, I plan on using my magicband but I also believe in giving people options.

Thanks. My BIL works for the Military and suggested that I line a baggie with heavy duty aluminum foil. He said it will work the same and I already have what I need. Geesh, I should have thought of that.
Mother Gothel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #45
Mother Gothel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot;49889458

And why not just get the card? WHY get the band at all? From the info in the box the bands came in:

"If you prefer, [B
you may alect to use an RF card instead of a MagicBand. [/B] The card contains a passive HF radio frequency chip and cannot be detected by the long-range readers. You can learn more about our privacy and data collection policies by visiting MyDisneyExperience.com/privacy."

What does that mean? I am assuming you mean elect. But why would anybody get MBs for the convenience of FP+ and then select a card?
Mother Gothel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: