Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #31
tinkfan160
Mouseketeer
 
tinkfan160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 85

This is so strange...I had the exact same thing on the top of one of my feet this July when we were there. I got it after our first day and it itched like crazy!
tinkfan160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #32
Disnerdette
Earning My Ears
 
Disnerdette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 65

I had a similar situation when I was at MK a few years ago, and now whenever I go to DLR. I'm allergic to a certain kind of grass that's mainly used in (big surprise here) golf courses and theme parks. I was allergy tested a few years ago and it came up on a list among a few other plants. Whenever I walk into Frontierland/Adventureland, my hands immediately start to swell and get itchy. Got a similar skin rash at the marathon a few years ago. I've found that bringing Benadryl and taking one right at the start of the itch usually helps.
__________________
wdw 92/93/94/95/99/01/02/03/04/05/11
dl aug '10/oct '10/nov '11/july '12/nov '12/jun '13

wdw to do list:
*expedition everest *victoria & alberts *maelstrom *spaceship earth *test track *hall of presidents

dl to do list:
*dole whip *enchanted tiki room *casey jr *storybook canal boats *lilly belle
Disnerdette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #33
Charleneluvsdisney
Always Disney Dreaming!
 
Charleneluvsdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Buffalo, NY- NOT the snow capital of the world!
Posts: 641

I get this every year when at Disney, and also when I visited NYC in the summer.

Google polymorphous light eruption - I believe this is what it could be. I can't stand it and have been desperate to find a "cure". For me its starts out on the backs of my legs and by the end of my vacation it is usually on my thighs and the front of my legs also.

I use tons of sun screen and that usually helps it from coming out right away. I also use Cortisone for the evening. I do not get this anywhere else and believe it is because my arm/face are exposed to the sun more throughout the year, where my legs are not.
Charleneluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #34
Bama_C
Artful DISer
 
Bama_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alabama (fairly obvious, huh?)
Posts: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Girlfriend View Post
'm a local, and have walked through the parks for years and years and years without issues. I'm also a runner, and my legs have never once showed signs of heat rash, "golfer's rash", etc.

My past 10 or so visits to the Magic Kingdom has resulted in awful rashes on both of my lower legs. I've read the long thread about the "Disney rash" and I'm not quite sure what in the world is causing this to happen in only ONE park. I can walk around the other 3 WDW parks, the water parks, DTD, Universal Orlando, Sea World, etc etc etc and absolutely nothing happens.

But if I go to Magic Kingdom for more than an hour? THIS happens.




I went to the doctor this morning and she's a bit baffled herself. She's thinking there is something there that is causing an allergic reaction of sorts, but I have no idea what that could possibly be. This stupid rash will be here for a good week or so, be itchy as heck (nothing helps it, nooooottthhiiinngggg), then disappear until I head into Magic Kingdom again.

Anyone else here ever have this type of rash happen in only ONE park? Any remedies you can suggest? (For the record, I've tried wearing pants to cover my legs, skirts, shorts, slathering on sunscreen, slathering on Benedryl cream, Calamine lotion, etc before going INTO the park - nothing prevents it from happening.)

I'm more or less embarrassed by its appearance, and with my running season going into full swing at this point, I hate wearing shorts and capris that show this grodiness. Blah.
I have gotten this several times through the years and it's always at MK. So weird... I always wondered if others got it, if it might be the water at Splash Mtn. or what. Last year, when we went in December, it was cold and I wore long pants every day. Twelve days in the kingdom and I didn't get it. So, I am wondering if it is something either on the pavement related to the horses or the reflections. Have always thought it really strange that it only happens in MK. Will be there one week from today, and I am hoping it will be cool enough to do lightweight long pants again.

__________________
(me drawing Disney, DH keeping focus, DS-21 being cool, DS-19 cartooning, DD-16 dancing!)
FDDP Year 8 at POR Booked 10/2013!!, 12/2012 FDDP, 09/2011 FDDP, 09/10 FDDP, 04/10 ASM KTTK tour w/ DS2, Pop 10/09 FDDP, ASM 01/09, Pop 09/08 FDDP, 01/08 ASM KTTK Tour w/ DS1, 09/07 POR FDDP, 09/06 POR FDDP, 09/05 Pop, 09/02 ASM, '88, '86, & '82 off site


Bama_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #35
stinkpickle
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtoastyman View Post
I thought this was going to be a discussion of the dreaded EPCROTCH. Never mind.
I will find a reason to use this term today.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #36
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran
 
Surfinpiratee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_C

I have gotten this several times through the years and it's always at MK. So weird... I always wondered if others got it, if it might be the water at Splash Mtn. or what. Last year, when we went in December, it was cold and I wore long pants every day. Twelve days in the kingdom and I didn't get it. So, I am wondering if it is something either on the pavement related to the horses or the reflections. Have always thought it really strange that it only happens in MK. Will be there one week from today, and I am hoping it will be cool enough to do lightweight long pants again.

It's got to be something with the heat and humidity. Everyone here has mentioned.it happening in the summer..
__________________
No more ticker!

January 3-9, 2014: Port Orleans Riverside/Coronado Springs

Check out my Pre-trip Report! (completed) Our first Disney World trip is just 'a whim away, a whim away'
Trip Report for above PTR here

Next Disney Vacation in the works!
Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #37
P00H1010
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 686

That is strange that you only get it at MK. I do get the "Disney Rash" every trip, mine looks just like that but a little more red as opposed to pinkish.

We are big park hoppers so it is hard to determine where I normally get it. Mine doesn't really itch (maybe a little when it first starts). But mine actually burns (seems to only burn when I get dirt and whatnot kicked up on it from the ground). I only get it on my lower legs...I know you mentioned you have tried this but the only thing I have found to help mine is Benadryl cream (It calms the burning, lightens the color and goes away within a day or two when using this).

I have noticed that the concrete seems to irritates mine. As I said when I get dirt and particles kicked up on my legs the burn, I have also noticed this if I sit on the ground or on a concrete ledge of sorts. Is it possible that you sit more at MK than the other parks maybe for parades and shows?
__________________
(Me) (DH)

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #38
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".
 
DznyCrzy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 894 miles from the magic!
Posts: 1,595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpiratee

It's got to be something with the heat and humidity. Everyone here has mentioned.it happening in the summer..
I know for me at least, if it were the heat and humidity it wouldn't just happen at MK just this year. We've been to WDW in August in 2009 and in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 we went in September. Also, we walk 3, 4, 5, and a couple times even 6 miles in upper 80's/90 degree weather, along with humidity beforr vacation to get use to walking in the heat and it's never bothered me. Plus, I'm the type that loves laying out in the sun in 80/90 degree weather. It is odd that it was just this year and just one leg!!

Sent from my Galaxy SII
__________________
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000,stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time,ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013.Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. Western Caribbean Cruise planned for 2014.


DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #39
Bama_C
Artful DISer
 
Bama_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alabama (fairly obvious, huh?)
Posts: 541

Yes, and I only noticed mine being on back of my lower calves. It normally happens in September for me... and sometimes it is really hot and humid, but we have had times when it was mild, too. I will be interested to see if I develop it this trip.
__________________
(me drawing Disney, DH keeping focus, DS-21 being cool, DS-19 cartooning, DD-16 dancing!)
FDDP Year 8 at POR Booked 10/2013!!, 12/2012 FDDP, 09/2011 FDDP, 09/10 FDDP, 04/10 ASM KTTK tour w/ DS2, Pop 10/09 FDDP, ASM 01/09, Pop 09/08 FDDP, 01/08 ASM KTTK Tour w/ DS1, 09/07 POR FDDP, 09/06 POR FDDP, 09/05 Pop, 09/02 ASM, '88, '86, & '82 off site


Bama_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #40
dmccarty
DIS Veteran
 
dmccarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 1,227

I wonder if it is from sitting on the benches in the monorail or the ferry to get to MK. Maybe Disney cleans the benches overnight and the chemical residue is still on the seats?

Later,
Dan
__________________
May 2013 VBR
Oct 2009, Oct 2010, Oct 2011 AKV
Mar/Apr 2008, Apr 2009 AKL
Oct 2007 CBR
Apr 1998 and May 1997 CR
70's to 1997 too many trips to count.

Disney is a lens that focuses on people.
Sometimes it exposes the worst.
Most of the time it highlights the best.
dmccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #41
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round
 
elgerber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccarty View Post
I wonder if it is from sitting on the benches in the monorail or the ferry to get to MK. Maybe Disney cleans the benches overnight and the chemical residue is still on the seats?

Later,
Dan
Not for me, I havent ridden the ferry in 13 years, and didn't ride the monorail on this last trip until our very last day.
__________________
Erika
elgerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #42
kstrayer8
Disney Princess at Heart
 
kstrayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Girlfriend View Post
'm a local, and have walked through the parks for years and years and years without issues. I'm also a runner, and my legs have never once showed signs of heat rash, "golfer's rash", etc.

My past 10 or so visits to the Magic Kingdom has resulted in awful rashes on both of my lower legs. I've read the long thread about the "Disney rash" and I'm not quite sure what in the world is causing this to happen in only ONE park. I can walk around the other 3 WDW parks, the water parks, DTD, Universal Orlando, Sea World, etc etc etc and absolutely nothing happens.

But if I go to Magic Kingdom for more than an hour? THIS happens.




I went to the doctor this morning and she's a bit baffled herself. She's thinking there is something there that is causing an allergic reaction of sorts, but I have no idea what that could possibly be. This stupid rash will be here for a good week or so, be itchy as heck (nothing helps it, nooooottthhiiinngggg), then disappear until I head into Magic Kingdom again.

Anyone else here ever have this type of rash happen in only ONE park? Any remedies you can suggest? (For the record, I've tried wearing pants to cover my legs, skirts, shorts, slathering on sunscreen, slathering on Benedryl cream, Calamine lotion, etc before going INTO the park - nothing prevents it from happening.)

I'm more or less embarrassed by its appearance, and with my running season going into full swing at this point, I hate wearing shorts and capris that show this grodiness. Blah.



Are you allergic to cats? Its been said there are cats all over MK that come out at night and help with pest problems..i've seen a thread on here about them before. Sleep during the day, but could have an allergic reaction through the air though? Just a thought.
__________________
kstrayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #43
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast
 
Sydnerella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 772

OMG! I got the exact same thing last week but it did not matter which park. It was there for all and MK was day 3 and no spash until day 6. I assumed it was irritation due to walking so much/blood pumping and possibly a little swelling. It felt like a sun burn. I wore capris which made me wonder but i sunscreened them just like everywhere else.
__________________
No ticker at the moment..... bummer!

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #44
Dr.Girlfriend
DIS Veteran
 
Dr.Girlfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 2,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrayer8 View Post
Are you allergic to cats? Its been said there are cats all over MK that come out at night and help with pest problems..i've seen a thread on here about them before. Sleep during the day, but could have an allergic reaction through the air though? Just a thought.
No, not allergic to cats - have one at home, and have never had a reaction to him before.

I would agree with the heat and humidity - but I'm a local, I'm in all of the other theme parks on a weekly basis, run every other day - and the rash doesn't appear unless I go into the Magic Kingdom.
__________________
COMPLETED:
Wine & Dine 1/2 - 2011 ~ WDW Marathon Relay - 2012 ~ Princess 1/2 - 2012 ~ Tower of Terror 10 Miler - 2012 ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 2012 ~ Goofy Challenge - 2013 ~ Tower of Terror 10 Miler – 2013 ~ Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5k - 2013 ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 – 2013 ~ Family Fun Run 5k - 2014 ~ Minnie Mouse - 10k 2014 ~ Donald 1/2 - 2014 ~ Castaway Cay 5k - 2014

UPCOMING:
Royal Family 5k - 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge – 2014 ~ Everest Challenge 5k - 2014 ~ Dumbo Double Dare - 2014
Dr.Girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #45
EagleScout
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Girlfriend

No, not allergic to cats - have one at home, and have never had a reaction to him before.

I would agree with the heat and humidity - but I'm a local, I'm in all of the other theme parks on a weekly basis, run every other day - and the rash doesn't appear unless I go into the Magic Kingdom.
Given that you get it near entrance, in addition to horse allergy theory (which makes a lot of sense), Maybe an allergic reaction to something at the security checks or the ticket gates? Either the metal itself or the paint? Maybe try to be very careful to avoid contact, and wash hands and legs right after? Or maybe something in bathroom stalls if you (like my wife) always have to stop in bathroom right near city hall as soon as you get in. Another option is if they changed the ink, etc on the newly designed maps at mk, and maybe it affects you on your legs because you have small shaving nicks, etc? They also waft in a slight scent ih the park that is most concentrated in the little tunnels between ticket pavilion and town square, so maybe that is culprit? Good luck!
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: