Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post

Oh!!!! Good luck! I'm doing my first half at the Princess in February. And yeah, legs itchy for a whole race... not good.

PP mentioned horses. Could it be that? That totally sounds like it could be plausible too.
Hi!!!!

Awww I wanna do the princess run!! But I gotta get in better shape for that. And when ever I run distances my legs get itchy no matter what... Weird lol

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco PJ & Newly Started Trip Report!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012DisneyWorldBride
My dad gets that as well after going to Disney and walking a lot in the heat. His dr originally thought allergic reaction, then maybe something to do with taking Advil and thinning his blood, but neither of that was it.

It's called Golfers vasculitis. Nothing they can really do for it... He could wear compression socks, or if he puts his feet up immediately after being in the parks all day it does tend to help some. He usually has it for a few days and then it fades.

Some one on a previous thread says it happens at MK because the pavement has some kind of reflectors in it... Not sure if that's true or not.

He gets it more at MK I think because its such a large park and we usually walk almost 10 miles at that park and all the other ones are considerably less.

But... I've been getting heat rash on my legs when we have gone recently...
That's interesting, I've never heard of that. The only thing is, even when I'm out in the heat, the only time I had this problem was at MK. We went on DCL before the parks and spent hours out in the sun and there was no problem. My DH and I were also walking 3, 4, 5, even 6 miles in the evening during the summer and I never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Girlfriend
I would think this if it happened in any of the other theme parks. It ONLY happens at Magic Kingdom. Doesn't matter if I shave my legs or not - no matter what I do, if I step foot into that park, it happens.

Won't keep me from going there But I'm scratching my head big time over this.
Same here. We went to other parks on the other days and I never had a problem, it was just after being at MK when the rash showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLgal
Could you be allergic to horses? Main Street has horses frequently. They shed, poop, and drop dander on the ground. Those particles get thrown up in the air as people walk down the street. This might be reaching, but it's all I can come up with.
Hhmmm, that's an interesting point. For me the rash was the back of my leg, just towards the bottom, and it was just one leg. I am allergic to horses though. When I have a reaction I start coughing, my throat feels like it's closing up, and my eyes get really itchy. I've never had a rash from horses, even when I went horse back riding before I knew I was allergic.

Sent from my Galaxy SII
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000,stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time,ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013.Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. Western Caribbean Cruise planned for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Maybe next time you go, try to stay off of Main Street. Walk on the sidewalks when you can and go through the stores all the way down. I usually do this a lot just cause it's so damn hot. LOL

But that would tell you if the actual street area of Main Street is causing your problem. If it doesn't happen, then you know that's it.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012DisneyWorldBride View Post
Hi!!!!

Awww I wanna do the princess run!! But I gotta get in better shape for that. And when ever I run distances my legs get itchy no matter what... Weird lol
I'm in terrible shape. LOL Slowly but surely I'm getting there though. If I can do it, you can do it. You're in better shape than me.

ETA... Try the Wind and Dine! If I am "successful" with the Princess, I want to do that one in November. And by successful I mean not being picked up by the balloon people van.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man
Try not shaving your legs the week before going and see if that stops it.

Believe on one of the Disney Rash threads someone's doctor told them in was most likely from the water at Splash Mtn. getting into their shaving nicks.
That's an interesting theory. Thinking back, it seems like it was after we rode Splash Mtn that the back of my right leg started feeling itchy. Weird how it didn't affect my left leg.

Sent from my Galaxy SII
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000,stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time,ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013.Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. Western Caribbean Cruise planned for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #21
DisneyMountainWoman
Mouseketeer

Well this is good to know about, I get rashes from everything from all metals except gold and plantium and lots of other weird things, so I will diffintly bring some cream with me
DisneyMountainWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

That's exactly what I get on the tops of my feet and on my forearms. Mine only ever flares up at WDW and I first thought it was a sun protection spray that I had tried and stopped using it but have never used that brand again, yet it recurs year after year. I am not prone to heat rash of any description the only logical explanation I can think of is that something I shower with or put on my skin is reacting with water that has got onto my skin (was thinking water rides where usually the forearms and feet are affected? It's a mystery and it clears up within a day or two of getting home.

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
madge
... is soaking in it

I get that rash every year. Usually only at the MK ... but not always. I got it on day 1 of our trip 2 weeks ago, that was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Girlfriend View Post
'm a local, and have walked through the parks for years and years and years without issues. I'm also a runner, and my legs have never once showed signs of heat rash, "golfer's rash", etc.

My past 10 or so visits to the Magic Kingdom has resulted in awful rashes on both of my lower legs. I've read the long thread about the "Disney rash" and I'm not quite sure what in the world is causing this to happen in only ONE park. I can walk around the other 3 WDW parks, the water parks, DTD, Universal Orlando, Sea World, etc etc etc and absolutely nothing happens.

But if I go to Magic Kingdom for more than an hour? THIS happens.

I went to the doctor this morning and she's a bit baffled herself. She's thinking there is something there that is causing an allergic reaction of sorts, but I have no idea what that could possibly be. This stupid rash will be here for a good week or so, be itchy as heck (nothing helps it, nooooottthhiiinngggg), then disappear until I head into Magic Kingdom again.

Anyone else here ever have this type of rash happen in only ONE park? Any remedies you can suggest? (For the record, I've tried wearing pants to cover my legs, skirts, shorts, slathering on sunscreen, slathering on Benedryl cream, Calamine lotion, etc before going INTO the park - nothing prevents it from happening.)

I'm more or less embarrassed by its appearance, and with my running season going into full swing at this point, I hate wearing shorts and capris that show this grodiness. Blah.

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

I've had this rash two times. Once when I went to China 5 years ago. It was very very hot and we were outside walking around most of the day.

The second time I got it was on my last trip to Disney in September. It was hot and humid and we walked around a great deal. I have walked around in the heat and Disney parks many times and this is the first time I saw this on my leg at Disney. I bought cortisone cream at the resort and it faded. It didn't fade entirely until I went home.
MLinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

I thought this was going to be a discussion of the dreaded EPCROTCH. Never mind.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: Disneyland (May 2014) - OKW (Aug 2014) - BLT (Jan 2015)
BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
wdvak
Mouseketeer

I have gotten this rash at wdw, Seaworld in CA, Philadelphia. I think it is an allergic reaction to a cleaning/antibacterial agent in the water rides and the sidewalks. I've gotten it after wet rides and after heavy rains where the water on the grounds splashes onto my legs.

Last year at DLR we rode Splash and the water hit my face. By the time we got off my eye was watering and swollen. I went to first aid and they looked at the eye and rash and confirmed what I had been told before by doctors that it was an allergic reaction.

I make sure to use an antihistamine when I'm at WDW, and have a cortisone cream for the itchiness in case I get the rash.
wdvak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
lucyanna girl
My hair looks like Tigger spit out a hairball!
I have alot of AFV moments in my life.
he was no match for a scared mama with a water ski
I'm a Cheerios Girl Myself

I have had this before at Disney but last summer it got so bad I went to urgent care. The doctor there told me he sees this all the time and he feels like it comes from either - the plants Disney uses to fight bugs, something they spray in the parks, or the sun reflecting off the concrete. He gave me steroids to take and mine cleared up in a few days.

Penny
Old 10-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #28
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyanna girl View Post
I have had this before at Disney but last summer it got so bad I went to urgent care. The doctor there told me he sees this all the time and he feels like it comes from either - the plants Disney uses to fight bugs, something they spray in the parks, or the sun reflecting off the concrete. He gave me steroids to take and mine cleared up in a few days.

Penny
I wish we could find out for sure what it is so that we could then find out if there is anything we could do to pre-treat or prevent it

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #29
flortlebap
Disneyiac!

I got a very similar rash - all over my forehead!!!

It was awful and got worse as the week went on - after a few days it went white and pimply.

Cleared up within 24 hours of getting home.

Maybe I'm just allergic to Florida
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC
flortlebap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #30
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

I get this every time I go in the summer months. I am not sure which park, as we park hop and it seems to develop over time. This year, a smaller version of it appeared on my forearms and back of my hands also. Those were very tiny spots, not the larger red welts that I get on ankles/calves. So much fun!! But it doesn't stop me from going LOL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: