Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #76
mikehn
DIS Veteran

We get insurance for our cruises. The premium is so cheap, its not even worth my time to run the numbers. I mean, the premium is a fraction of my cruise bar tab. I buy it and I sleep so well from the day I book the cruise all the way through to the end of the cruise.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #77
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtricia View Post
Just something to think about. We had the same feeling before our parents become elderly and we had children. But life can send you the most unexpected events.

My hubby is 44, very near his idea weight, good cholesterol, never smoked in his life, etc. So we figure what are the odds of something happening. Then last christmas my husband got his yearly flu shot during his employers free flu shot program. A few weeks later he was in ICU with half his face paralyzed, no reflexes, and hooked up to a respiration monitor to ensure his lungs didn't become paralyzed too. He had come down with Gillian Barre Syndrome all from his yearly flu shot because he was trying to stay healthy. He has been sick less than 10 day in the 18 years we have been together prior to this. He ended up out of work and recovering for 8 months. We could never have foreseen it. Travel insurance is like car insurance, or medical insurance, it seems like a waste of lots of money... until you need it than you will never go without it again.

Everyones circumstances are different, and if you get a really good deal on a trip that you are comfortable risking losing than go for it... we still do. But if you are dropping major cash on a trip and you would be upset over losing, the insurance really isn't that great a cost.
YIKES!!! So sorry to hear about what happened to your husband! That must have been seriously scary! I hope he's doing much better now.

The thing that I think a lot of people are missing here is that trip insurance is *not* just in case you have to cancel your cruise (which is important, but not the only factor). Most health insurance does NOT cover you outside of the United States. (Some does, but the majority doesn't). So if something happens to you on your vacation, and you have to be treated on the ship or in one of the ports, there's a good chance you will not be covered for those medical costs. Which can be tens of thousands of dollars or more. Accidents don't only happen to the elderly. What if the PP's husband had developed Gillian Barre Syndrome while on a cruise? I did a Segway tour on one cruise, and one of the folks on the tour fell off her Segway and severely broke her ankle. She ended up in the hospital in Nassau, and the cruise had to leave her and her husband behind. Has nothing to do with being elderly or not. While I *might* be willing to risk the cost of the trip, I would never risk not being covered for Medical expenses. That could ruin you financially!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #78
amomma23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
YIKES!!! So sorry to hear about what happened to your husband! That must have been seriously scary! I hope he's doing much better now.

The thing that I think a lot of people are missing here is that trip insurance is *not* just in case you have to cancel your cruise (which is important, but not the only factor). Most health insurance does NOT cover you outside of the United States. (Some does, but the majority doesn't). So if something happens to you on your vacation, and you have to be treated on the ship or in one of the ports, there's a good chance you will not be covered for those medical costs. Which can be tens of thousands of dollars or more. Accidents don't only happen to the elderly. What if the PP's husband had developed Gillian Barre Syndrome while on a cruise? I did a Segway tour on one cruise, and one of the folks on the tour fell off her Segway and severely broke her ankle. She ended up in the hospital in Nassau, and the cruise had to leave her and her husband behind. Has nothing to do with being elderly or not. While I *might* be willing to risk the cost of the trip, I would never risk not being covered for Medical expenses. That could ruin you financially!

Sayhello
Well said! We are a family of 5 with 3 young kids. If any one of us were to get sick or injured, the medical expenses would be far more than we could afford. We budget and save for months to be able to travel. While we could deal with an extra hotel night or some other minor issues, there is no way we could cover thousands of dollars in medical bills.
It cost $90 to insure our family's cruise next year and I will absolutely sleep better knowing that we bought it.

amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #79
txtricia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

Sayhello

Great point Hello!

And yes.. he is about 90% recovered. Thank you! We are in fact leaving on another Disney Cruise on 12/7

Last edited by txtricia; 10-13-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Add comment
txtricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #80
mschaber
Earning My Ears

Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn View Post
We get insurance for our cruises. The premium is so cheap, its not even worth my time to run the numbers. I mean, the premium is a fraction of my cruise bar tab. I buy it and I sleep so well from the day I book the cruise all the way through to the end of the cruise.
I was feeling a little cheap and figured I would decline trip insurance. I have now decided differently, and will keep it. Not worth the hassle and worry!
mschaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #81
Momto3cuties
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 5 with kids under the age of 10. Not that age matters, but with life circumstances...aging grandparents, etc. we always pay to get travel insurance for our cruises. It has worked out for us each time and we won't travel without it now. In 2011, my 4 year old tripped on the rug at the Marriott on our way out to the shuttle to go to the port...hit his forehead on the door molding and split it open. My husband bandaged it, we got to port, and got right on ship to go to infirmary...he was stitched and eating lunch an hour later. Trip insurance rocked!

On our last cruise in 2012 my IPad was stolen from my carry on which I had packed and put under the bed before dinner our last night. We called DCL and they checked housekeeping...we knew it was long gone, but got a letter from them. Filed a claim and trip insurance paid for a new IPad.

Our insurance for 5 was minimal in comparison to what these situations would have cost us. We won't go without!

Me, (41) DH (43) DS (9), DS (6), DD (4),
Momto3cuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #82
aabrahim
Earning My Ears

2 weeks before our planned trip to WDW my perfectly healthy husband tore his Achilles' tendon and couldn't walk. We had to cancel our trip - the $200 we paid for insurance got us over $5000 back! We always get insurance now - you just never know what is going to happen!
aabrahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: