Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
houseofduck
Mouseketeer

Military discounts/2 rooms

This topic was mentioned on another thread, but I wanted to give it more visibility. In December 2012, DCL put in place a new rule that only allows one stateroom per family with the discounted rate. The exception is when your immediate family requires two rooms (e.g. family of 5). I personally have booked two discounted rooms this way.

Has anyone ever been able to book two rooms (since 12/12) with a military discount when you have included someone else (e.g. grandparents, nanny, ...)?
houseofduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Chernabog#1fan
DVCOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofduck View Post
This topic was mentioned on another thread, but I wanted to give it more visibility. In December 2012, DCL put in place a new rule that only allows one stateroom per family with the discounted rate. The exception is when your immediate family requires two rooms (e.g. family of 5). I personally have booked two discounted rooms this way.

Has anyone ever been able to book two rooms (since 12/12) with a military discount when you have included someone else (e.g. grandparents, nanny, ...)?
I called DCL on Thursday about that and they will not allow it they said. Oh well.
Chernabog#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
TeamH5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofduck View Post

That's good to know. My immediate family would take up two rooms, but then we'd want a 3rd for our moms. Does anyone know who HAS to be in the stateroom, other than the AD member? Both DH and I are AD so one of us could get the 2 rooms for OUR family and the other could get the room for our moms..
DH ME DD-6 DD-6 DS-5 & #4 on the way sometime late April 2014

Disney newbies:
Lived the Dream January 2012
WDW AoA August 2013
Waitin for the Magic WBTA Sept 2014
TeamH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamH5 View Post
That's good to know. My immediate family would take up two rooms, but then we'd want a 3rd for our moms. Does anyone know who HAS to be in the stateroom, other than the AD member? Both DH and I are AD so one of us could get the 2 rooms for OUR family and the other could get the room for our moms..
First, the discount is for all military members, not just the AD ones. Second, though the proper answer would come from Disney, my take is their rule is one stateroom per family (not per member) unless your immediate family (spouse and children) is large enough to require 2 rooms.

Seems clear to me, but of course it never hurts to call the authoritative source (DCL) directly and ask them. Not a TA, not discussion boards, but DCL reservations. (And hope you get the same answer each time you call LOL)
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
TeamH5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post

First, the discount is for all military members, not just the AD ones. Second, though the proper answer would come from Disney, my take is their rule is one stateroom per family (not per member) unless your immediate family (spouse and children) is large enough to require 2 rooms.

Seems clear to me, but of course it never hurts to call the authoritative source (DCL) directly and ask them. Not a TA, not discussion boards, but DCL reservations. (And hope you get the same answer each time you call LOL)
Well, you're wrong on both fronts. It is not for all military members. My father is a wounded Vietnam vet and he does not warrant the discount. Nor do any of our combat Injured veterans of this generation if they are not retired. Also, the only way Reservists qualify for it is if they can produce orders stating they had been in AD for a period of time within the previous 365 days. Retiree's of course warrant the discount as well. I also made no explicit comment that implied the discount was for AD only, I was merely stating what our status was.

Secondly, it IS per military member. Its even stated in their policy. Thus meaning if they will allow 2 staterooms for your immediate family(we have 4 kids and would require 2 rooms) then, according to the policy stated below, so long as DH is also on the sailing, he to can book a room that is separate from my booking. We've both been able to get Salute tickets for the max allowed per military member.

Know what you're talking about before you start telling someone else they don't. The only thing being questioned (that would need confirming) is whether or not 2 staterooms will be given if your immediate family warrants it, and is the only thing that is contradictory from the policy stated below.

Per DCL website:

Special Military rates are available to all retired and active U.S. Military personnel (or spouse), including U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, U.S Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. National Guard, U.S. Army Reserve and U.S. Department of Defense personnel. Active and retired members (or spouse) of the U.S. military must provide valid identification at time of check-in. This offer is limited to a maximum of one stateroom per military member (or spouse), per sailing. A U.S. Military service member (or spouse) is required to sail to take advantage of this offer. Activated members (or spouse) of the U.S. National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve must also show active duty orders (active duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify).
DH ME DD-6 DD-6 DS-5 & #4 on the way sometime late April 2014

Disney newbies:
Lived the Dream January 2012
WDW AoA August 2013
Waitin for the Magic WBTA Sept 2014
TeamH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Good to see the exact quote. As for military members, of course vets are not military members. They were once, but no longer. I have seen Disney offers for vets (prior military) from time to time, but none now that I'm aware of.

Again thanks for finding and posting the real policy!
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
houseofduck
Mouseketeer

I have been given two different responses when I called Disney and asked this question. That's why I was wondering if anyone had actual experience with it.

Here's another question/situation. There are two families that are both eligible for the discount. One family is a family of 5. The other family is a couple. Can the family of 5 put one of their children in the room with the couple?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
jenerra11
Mouseketeer

Just booked with the Military discount for the 11/1/13 cruise. We booked two rooms with the military discount because we have a party of eight. My mom is a military spouse. (Dad is not on cruise) she is in one room along with 3 of her (live in the same house as her) family members. I say this because Disney ask if the family members live in the same household of the Military personnel. Another one of my mom's family members could not fit in the room with her because the room my mother have only allows four people. Therefore, the other family member had to be in my room, so we received the discount for my room as well. Now here comes the tricky part.....At first, they tried not to give us the discount on the 2nd room because they said that the people in my mom's room had to be 17 and under. However, if the 17 and older are in college and lives with her, then they are considered her dependents. Now one of the guest in her room is a 30 year old man (my brother) but because he is mentally disabled, he was able to be included in the 4 persons per room. Lets recap....my mom has 3 people in her room....my mom, her son, and two college kids 17 and over. My room consist of one of my mom's (live in the same house as her) family members, my husband, and my son. I had to wait for Disney to approve the 2nd room....it took about 1 day for the approval. We got a 5 day on the newly re-imagine Magic for $2,600 for eight people.
jenerra11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
slzer0
DIS Veteran

To the both-AD poster...

Seems like youd get one room each. You would only warrant a second room on one of the bookings if there were 5 on it.
Unless grandparents or nanny live with you.

Do you have to show proof that they do?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
houseofduck
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenerra11 View Post
Lets recap....my mom has 3 people in her room....my mom, her son, and two college kids 17 and over. My room consist of one of my mom's (live in the same house as her) family members, my husband, and my son. I had to wait for Disney to approve the 2nd room....it took about 1 day for the approval. We got a 5 day on the newly re-imagine Magic for $2,600 for eight people.
So, it sounds like it is possible, but maybe not the norm.

You got a fantastic deal! Have a great cruise!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: