Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Wonder2008
Mouseketeer

Food Allergies on Disney Magic after Dry Dock

Hello,

To anyone who is sailing on the "new" Disney Magic with food allergies, would you please let us know how your dining experiences were? If you've cruised with DCL before, it would be great if you could compare the Disney Magic to another DCL ship, or the Disney Magic before dry-dock. We are booked to sail in May on the Disney Magic, and I eat gluten-free and my sister eats dairy-free.

Any information would be enormously appreciated!
Robert

D23 Gold Charter Member
Walt Disney World Annual Passholder
Disneyland: 2006 (50th Anniversary), 2007, 2009, Dec 2013
Disney Wonder: 2008, 2009
Disney Dream: 2011
Walt Disney World: Numerous!
Wonder2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

It will be a while as the first cruise was cancelled. There will likely be little to no change. The biggest difference between the Classics and Dream class is that the Dream class has a separate kitchen for allergy prep. The Classics do not have this and I don't recall any mention of it being added. There isn't room for one. The biggest factor in your allergy dining experience is your serving team. Some are great, some are mediocre and some will almost get you killed.
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Keggy
So this is a first for us
Thank you everyone for the great welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder2008 View Post
Hello, To anyone who is sailing on the "new" Disney Magic with food allergies, would you please let us know how your dining experiences were? If you've cruised with DCL before, it would be great if you could compare the Disney Magic to another DCL ship, or the Disney Magic before dry-dock. We are booked to sail in May on the Disney Magic, and I eat gluten-free and my sister eats dairy-free. Any information would be enormously appreciated! Robert
We don't have food allergies ourselves but are sailing in November. I am happy to ask questions if you let me know what to ask. I'm not knowledgeable about gluten free, my apologies.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
HiYaPal
Mouseketeer

Gf

Make sure your travel agent lists that your sister is Gluten Free and you're Dairy Free on your reservation and sent to Disney in writing at least 30 days before your cruise. Identify yourselves to the Maitre D and to your head server and anyone serving you food or drinks. If your sister is GF due to celiac then she probably already knows to be aware of "bar wash" and knows what liquors she can drink. I believe they do a great job with food as long as they know in advance...but bars are still a problem. Also, watch for unintentional cross contamination in the buffets by other passengers.

HiYaPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
jenniy
Mouseketeer

I just got off the Dream and my son has a severe peanut allergy. I was so nervous I was in tears before we boarded. It's just scary being in the middle of the ocean if something happened. The first chef I spoke with right when we got on the ship said most good except the desserts should be okay. Ummm sorry but " should be okay" doesn't cut it for me. So I found someone else. He could tell I was nervous and had a specially prepared meal made for him to ensure it was peanut free. Our server for dinner was great and specially prepared his meal for breakfast and dinner. He said if my son had a reaction from food allergies he would lose his job! The Mickey bars were fine ( I could check the packaging) and the ice cream was fine also. But you can't read the ingredients on most other items. So u have to trust what they say is peanut it other allergy free. I prefer to read the labels myself because people often miss processed in peanuts etc. I also packed lots of our own food/ candy just in case. At the show the popcorn was processed on peanuts so they brought me a different bag that was peanut free! We did not eat any desserts besides the 2 I mentioned. They said the cookies were fine but I felt better just avoiding them since desserts are the most dangerous. So you do have to really speak up for yourself or your kid but I felt comfortable enough that I would cruise again. I hope this helps!
jenniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
olenalt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder2008 View Post
Hello,

To anyone who is sailing on the "new" Disney Magic with food allergies, would you please let us know how your dining experiences were? If you've cruised with DCL before, it would be great if you could compare the Disney Magic to another DCL ship, or the Disney Magic before dry-dock. We are booked to sail in May on the Disney Magic, and I eat gluten-free and my sister eats dairy-free.

Any information would be enormously appreciated!
Robert
I have celiac and will be on the November 10 magic cruise. Previous experience dining on both wonder and the dream have been amazing (with the exception of palo brunch which was terrible palo dinner was great). Was supposed to be on today's cruise. I will report back on gluten free experience, but based on my previous 3 cruises, I anticipate it to will be awesome! I am extremely sensitive so I know I have not been glutened. :-) I think both classic and dream class ships do a great job, but I prefer classic ships and the way they treat allergies (even if they don't have a dedicated kitchen). It seems more personalized to my needs. It is one of the main reasons we cruise disney.
olenalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: