Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #31
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizney-cruiser View Post

IT'S OCTOBER!! TIME FOR AN UPDATE!!!
Coming right up!
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #32
PrincessTrisha

Yes we NEED a cake

So I told you before that I was going to order a cake against my dad's wishes. The funny thing is I know he just doesn't want me to spend the money, it's not that he doesn't want cake.

Cake is important to our family. My parents owned a bakery for 22 years and even after selling it, my dad continued in the industry as both a baker (for several large industrial bakeries and as a donut maker for Tim Hortons) and for the past 6 years or so has been working at a bakery wholesale company as one of their top salesmen.

Growing up, it wasn't "what do you want for your birthday?" it was "what kind of cake do you want for your birthday?" You see, while it was always my dad's dream to own a bakery (and he makes amazing bread and pies), my mother is the talented artist in the family and could create just about anything out of cake.

My brother was into star wars - you know what he got? A Darth Vadar and R2D2 cake one year - hand done by my mother.

I was into strawberry shortcake - I got a cake with a handdrawn strawberry shortcake and her little pet on top of a cake (and it looked just like the cartoon!)

My mother was so talented at this that when Charles and Dianna were getting married, one of the British pubs in Toronto was holding a wedding party (in their absence of course) commissioned my mother to DRAW CHARLES AND DIANNA'S FACES ON A CAKE and she did an amazing job (was in the newspaper and everything for it).

Now today, big deal because they have all kinds of edible paper where you can use your printer and print an actual picture on a cake but she did it old school - with small, fine tipped icing bags and hours of hard work and hand drawn sketches and stencils she had to create herself.

Anyways - growing up cake was a big part of our lives and it continued forward. I owned a bakery for about a year and half before settling for a nice comfy government job (the bakery was so much work and at the end of the day, I was working to pay the landlord, and the hydro, water and gas companies and my suppliers so not too much leftover for me).

I became pretty good at doing cakes myself (taught at the sleeve of the master of course ). And I've done a few wedding cakes in my time along with birthday cakes, anniversary cakes, retirement cakes, christening cakes and just someone-wants-a-cake cake.

Now, I'm done baking cakes. Maybe for a really, really special occasion I'll whip out the mixer but generally I'd rather buy a decent cake (and with my dad's customers we've found out quickly who makes an awesome cake and who doesn't).

Anyhoo -

On our first cruise my dad was so happy to see "cake of the day" on the room service menu and let's say, it didn't disappoint:

Disney Magic "Cake of the day" October 2010

Fast forward to our Disney Dream cruise - B2B cruises Oct 2011:

Can you see the difference (well, I mean, besides the size of the pictures)?

The first cruise, the cake of the day was, well cake - cake with icing and/or whipped cream (nutrifill - stabilized non dairy whip but still).

On the Dream the "cake" was more mousse, gel topped non-cake type bakery goods (with no baking required and comes from a mix).

it's not cake. Sorry but it's not.

On our April 2012 Disney Magic cruise, my dad was so desparate for cake by the last night that he practically begged the server to find him a piece of actual cake.

What he came up with wasn't bad, but it was actually a brownie (denser than cake and no buttercream icing).

So, despite my dad's protests, I faxed in (well, I got my brother to do it through his company because he only pays pennies for a fax) a cake order form for an 8 inch marble cake with dark chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream icing to be delivered on night 2 in the dining room and it should say, "Happy 65th birthday Bill".

If anyone has late dining and ends up as the same rotation as us - feel free to come by on Formal night for a slice of cake
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #33
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitGB View Post
We will see you at brunch! We too are the 31st at 10:30. There are 7 of us in our group, so look for the big group. We are my DH, myself, my parents, my brother and 2 neighbors. I would tell you you to look for LOUD but we are dropping the kids to the club so volume should be normal. Can't wait!
I'll keep an eye out for you guys (maybe we'll be waiting for our tables in the same place).

I am glad that I was able to book the brunch earlier in the day rather than later - this way, it's not too far after everyone is up and about for the day (have to have the early morning coffee fix) but early enough that we will be ready for late dining (and maybe an ice cream in between ).
Old 10-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #34
PrincessTrisha

Packing has begun!

Packing has begun!

Well, kind of.....

I've started putting together stuff that's going. Our toiletry bag is packed and our medical kit is packed. I just bought some gravol ginger tablets for my mom - regular gravol puts her to sleep and she can't take non-drowsy dramamine for other reasons so I was looking for something to help her in case of motion sickness (if the seas get really bumpy I know she'll take the gravol and sleep it off but if its just a little shaky, it's nice to have the natural ginger tablets).

I've also packed some sharpie markers and 2 Duffy bear outfits to have signed. This is the first time we've ever planned to drop anything off at guest services for signatures. I had originally thought to have my new lands end bag signed but when I tested a sharpie on it, the mark went kind of fuzzy - I can only imagine the difficulty of actually signing the bag for the characters so I decided to nix that one. When I put the idea to my mother, she asked for 1 Duffy bear outfit (they hang on a cord in the corner of our living room around a display of her various collector bears and dolls). She picked the Animal Kingdom Safari outfit since it's one of the lightest in colours (light green shirt, khaki pants) so the signatures would show up well.

We were looking for a second thing (I was thinking a photo mat) but my mother asked if she could have the Disneyland Bear shirt signed. When my Dad and I went to Disneyland for his 60th birthday (late in the year my mother had the stroke so she was unable to travel) we brought her home a Build a bear we'd made for her (she's mostly white with some pink tuffs) and a Disneyland outfit (shirt and mouse ears). The shirt is white with pink trim so again, the signatures should show up well.

I included 2 boxes of Star Wars fruit snacks (there are 5 snack packs in each box) - they are really tasty (I love them in my lunch or an afternoon treat at work), travel well and hopefully there's a CM or two who's a fan

My dad's pirate costume came pretty much complete (he needs his own pants and I think he added an earring) and I've got my mothers costume together - white lace trimmed blouse, black tiered skirt, long pink bandana covered with flowers and skulls and a chunky gold necklace. I of course am going to be a fuddy-duddy and no costume for me . I have a pirate-y type shirt that I may or may not pack but that's as far as I'm going to go.

My list of stuff to buy for this cruise is short but necessary. I have settled on the kind of candy for the Meet and Greet. I'm going to pick up 2 "kinds" (which is actually 7-8 different varieties). I'm going to pick up some Maynards treats - these are mini packs of swedish berries, fuzzy peaches, fruit mania and sour patch kids (these rock - they are always so soft and so fresh from Maynards). These are nut-free, and dairy free. The other pack I'm going to pick up is mini halloween chocolate bar packs of Mr Big, Wunderbar, Caramilk and Crispy Crunch. They are made by Cadbury Canada. Although originally a British company, these treats are pure Canada! They are neither nut free nor dairy free though.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #35
tow-mater-1
DIS Veteran

I just started packing too. I have a ton of shopping to do that I hope to get to some of it tonight. So I'm glad to hear what your bringing for the sweet meet. We are bringing the mixed box of Coffee Crisp, Aeros, Smarties and Kit Kats...all nut free and very Canadian except the Kit Kat which is still a little different from the US ones. I always get a kick out of the Americans reaction to our Smarties since their Smarties are like our rockets.... yik

Oh and I always take the Gravol ginger chews too... I discovered them on our first cruise and that was all that I needed.
tow-mater-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #36
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy šoš
we dont want no stinkin snow in NJ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
My list of stuff to buy for this cruise is short but necessary. I have settled on the kind of candy for the Meet and Greet. I'm going to pick up 2 "kinds" (which is actually 7-8 different varieties). I'm going to pick up some Maynards treats - these are mini packs of swedish berries, fuzzy peaches, fruit mania and sour patch kids (these rock - they are always so soft and so fresh from Maynards). These are nut-free, and dairy free. The other pack I'm going to pick up is mini halloween chocolate bar packs of Mr Big, Wunderbar, Caramilk and Crispy Crunch. They are made by Cadbury Canada. Although originally a British company, these treats are pure Canada! They are neither nut free nor dairy free though.
Not to highjack your thread, but I would like your opinion on this (and anyone else on our cruise. . .). I think you know that I check the Disboards multiple times a day, but I could go a day or two without going on Facebook.

I wanted to get something "special" to take to the "M&G/CE". Last weekend, Linda decided to go to Seaside Heights (that is the Jersey Shore town that had the famous picture of the roller coaster in the ocean after Sandy). I wasn't feeling up to going, so I asked her if she would pick me up 2 pounds of salt water taffy.

Yesterday, I was out of work because I was furloughed. I got on facebook and saw there was some chatter awhile back about the candy people were bringing and there was some talk about salt water taffy.

So, to get to my question, do you think it would be rude of me to bring salt water taffy, since someone else said they would pick it up?

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2004 (Wonder); 2006 (Magic); 2007 (Wonder);
2008 (Magic Double Dip); 2010 (Magic Double Dip); 2011 (Dream B2B);
2012 (Fantasy B2B); 2013 (Fantasy); 2014 (Fantasy);

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
dizney-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #37
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Not to highjack your thread, but I would like your opinion on this (and anyone else on our cruise. . .). I think you know that I check the Disboards multiple times a day, but I could go a day or two without going on Facebook.

I wanted to get something "special" to take to the "M&G/CE". Last weekend, Linda decided to go to Seaside Heights (that is the Jersey Shore town that had the famous picture of the roller coaster in the ocean after Sandy). I wasn't feeling up to going, so I asked her if she would pick me up 2 pounds of salt water taffy.

Yesterday, I was out of work because I was furloughed. I got on facebook and saw there was some chatter awhile back about the candy people were bringing and there was some talk about salt water taffy.

So, to get to my question, do you think it would be rude of me to bring salt water taffy, since someone else said they would pick it up?
My DH could eat salt water taffy until it's coming out of his ears so he, for one, would say "Go ahead and bring it" Personally, I don't think it's rude at all. Coming from the UK, I would imagine we will be bringing much the same as the other UK cruisers (i.e. Cadburys chocolate). I don't see it as a problem - there will be plenty to go round and I doubt there will be much (if any) left over
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #38
PrincessTrisha

Quote:

I don't think it's rude AT ALL. We're not co-ordinating candy (there's no master list to make sure there's no repeats) and this way everyone can have a couple of pieces. Plus, salt water taffy varies in flavours and softness.

(BTW, both my mom and I love salt water taffy so there can never be too much of that stuff when we're around).

I'm also thinking of picking up some little treat bags or ziplocs so that everyone who brings candy to the M&G can fill up a baggie of the various kinds they want to try versus trying to pick up and hold the stuff in your hands. Also, with just having lunch not too long before (and early dinner right around the corner for some), I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to pick up a variety of candy, try one or two pieces there and then save some for trying later.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #39
PrincessTrisha

I will NOT make changes - I won't!!

I have got to stop looking at the Marriott website.

I have mapquested out the route down and the route back, printed off my hotel confirmations, mapped out the locations of the nearest Dunkin Donuts for morning coffees and created my travel booklet.

I saw that I could save $8 by switching hotels this morning and I almost did it.

It is not worth $8 to have to re-work all of the maps and whatnot.

I am on the edge of overplanning and I need to step back from the ledge.

It's funny but I know that I distract myself with hotels, maps, planning etc because I am putting off packing. I have all of our FE stuff, pirate stuff, formal clothes, swimsuits, summer stuff ready to go, I just need to actually put it INTO the suitcases.

I really don't like packing.
Of course, I really, really don't like unpacking either.

I wonder if it would be a problem to just toss everything into green garbage bags and take it onboard that way?

Only 6.5 days of work left (including today)!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #40
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy šoš
we dont want no stinkin snow in NJ!!

Do all three of you drive? Do you switch off?

I have a 9 minute ride to work and cry about that . . . there is no way I could make it that far!

. . . but I do pass 3 Dunkin Donuts on that journey . . .

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2004 (Wonder); 2006 (Magic); 2007 (Wonder);
2008 (Magic Double Dip); 2010 (Magic Double Dip); 2011 (Dream B2B);
2012 (Fantasy B2B); 2013 (Fantasy); 2014 (Fantasy);

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
dizney-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #41
PrincessTrisha

Quote:

Do all three of you drive? Do you switch off?

I have a 9 minute ride to work and cry about that . . . there is no way I could make it that far!

. . . but I do pass 3 Dunkin Donuts on that journey . . .
my mom used to drive but can't since the stroke, I only have my learner's permit so I can't drive in the US, my dad however, LOVES to drive so it's no hardship on him to do the whole thing. When I young, for our family vacation we drove from Toronto, to California, up to British Columbia, back down to Vegas, and all over the USA and Western part of Canada - it was 6 weeks of driving (with short stops in between - like DisneyLand and Expo 86 and the Corn Palace and a couple of days in Vegas - stayed at Circus Circus for my birthday when it was actually a cool place to stay). It's one of the reasons why I like WDW and cruises - no more "driving" vacations, we actually stop and stay somewhere!

I love my Tim Horton's here in Canada but I LOVE dunkin donuts in the US - I think it's so cool that you can add a flavour to your coffee for no charge and at some places you have a choice of 10-15 different flavours - not that it should really matter to me because now I almost always get blueberry flavour! (at Tim Horton's you can add a flabour shot for 50 cents and they only have a couple like vanilla or hazelnut - nothing good like blueberry, raspberry or coconut flavours).
Old 10-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #42
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Ha Trisha, you sound just like me - I change and change our plans, usually because I am putting off doing something else. At the moment, I have got a huge pile of clothes that need to be ironed before we can pack them. However, I am steadfastly ignoring it in favour of rewriting our itinerary or printing yet more magnets
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
tow-mater-1
DIS Veteran

I hear ya about the over planing thing. Although with all my last minute changes to our itinerary and having to book my sisters hotels I feel a little discombobulated! I did use hotwire for our Thursday night so there's no going back now.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #44
PrincessTrisha

My excitement has been dampened - and not because of anything to do with Disney or cruising but because of work.

I took a test earlier this month for the manager's hiring process (yes, in the government we "compete" for jobs by taking tests, extensive interviewing and something called validated self assessments). I got the results back yesterday and I failed . My score was 216 and the pass mark for this hiring process was 225.

So no manager position for me for a couple of years....

Everyone was so sure that I would pass and that I was a shoe in for one of the 2 open positions in my sector.

I guess that it's just not meant to be.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #45
tow-mater-1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
My excitement has been dampened - and not because of anything to do with Disney or cruising but because of work.

I took a test earlier this month for the manager's hiring process (yes, in the government we "compete" for jobs by taking tests, extensive interviewing and something called validated self assessments). I got the results back yesterday and I failed . My score was 216 and the pass mark for this hiring process was 225.

So no manager position for me for a couple of years....

Everyone was so sure that I would pass and that I was a shoe in for one of the 2 open positions in my sector.

I guess that it's just not meant to be.
Darn That stinks! Well this cruise is just what you need then

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: