Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Torinate
Earning My Ears

Best steak on kids menu. TS

Hi there.

My 9 year old son's favorite meal is steak. Bar none.

What TS restaurants offer this. Not signature dining though.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

I can't attest to either being "the best," but the only 1 TS places I can even think of that have steak on kids' menu are Teppan Edo in EP Japan, and Be Our Guest for dinner.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Torinate
Earning My Ears

I'm getting more and more disappointed each time I search the kids menus!

My son is 9. He is all done with shaped chicken nuggets and mac and cheese!

He would like a nice meal. Even a nice chicken breast... Steak is his absolute favourite! We were last at Disney 3 years ago and didn't have this problem at all. He had steak twice that trip - good steaks too. Of course, Le Cellier was regular table service then.

I'd like him to at least have a great steak dinner once while there! Considering upgrading him to an adult, but at another $100 I think i'll pass - 4 night only!. Not quite sure what were getting with the kids plan - paying a lot for a little now. Great for 5 yr olds, brutal for a 9 yr old.

Asking for any help with this...

I shouldn't have to trade my steak with him and eat his mac and cheese for him to get a decent meal...
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Torinate
Earning My Ears

Be Our Guest is booked every night we're there... Guess it's popular...
Old 10-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
WDWFANCBIIIME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinate View Post
Hi there.

My 9 year old son's favorite meal is steak. Bar none.

What TS restaurants offer this. Not signature dining though.

Thanks!
My little brothers 9 - 10 say the best steaks are at:

Flying Fish
Jiko
California Grill
Shula's
One Liked Le Cellier one Did not

They also like Ohana sometimes depends on the night
WDWFANCBIIIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

He would like a nice meal. Even a nice chicken breast... Steak is his absolute favourite! We were last at Disney 3 years ago and didn't have this problem at all. He had steak twice that trip - good steaks too. Of course, Le Cellier was regular table service then.

I'd like him to at least have a great steak dinner once while there! Considering upgrading him to an adult, but at another $100 I think i'll pass - 4 night only!. Not quite sure what were getting with the kids plan - paying a lot for a little now. Great for 5 yr olds, brutal for a 9 yr old.

I shouldn't have to trade my steak with him and eat his mac and cheese for him to get a decent meal...
The kids plan is very cheap- if you want your child to eat better food then you should pay the $100 to upgrade him to an adult. With all the meals for less than $20 a day you shouldn't expect much at Disney prices. What you are saying is I want my child to eat like an adult but pay child prices and Disney doesn't offer that except if you are doing buffets (where they child can eat from anywhere).
Old 10-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
Haygar2
Mouseketeer

I'm sure you know this, but if you upgrade him for the dining plan, you have to upgrade his park tickets as well. We wish we would have upgraded our son last year. He is a really good eater and was very disappointed. We even ate at Hollywood Brown Derby and they didn't have much variety. I figured they would have steak. Nope. Desserts were very disappointing also. We (myself, my husband, & my 13 year old daughter) would have a choice of fabulous desserts. He would get yogurt or plain vanilla ice cream. He wouldn't eat it. He would share mine. Price is definitely different for our next trip. We added a day, upgraded resorts, and he is now a Disney adult. I would have upgraded him anyway.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

For the most part, the dining plan is usually just a convenience.

Forego the dining plan and go where you want to go and order what you want to order. We have gone before on the dining plan and ordered the more expensive items and got a lot of desserts. We have gone without the dining plan, ordered less expensive entrees, and rarely bought dessert.

Keep in mind that everybody in your party either has to be on the dining plan or not be on the dining plan.

Another option would be to leave your child off your room reservation, purchase his ticket as if he were staying off property and buy his food out of pocket. I'm not sure if this would be considered unethical since the charge on the room would not change. On second thought I guess it would be unethical to do that, but one of the more minor offenses I've seen proposed here on the DIS.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:

My children and grandchildren were never "into" kids meals. They ate more like adults. That said, try a walk up for Be Our Guest. They have some good kids meals available.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
Torinate
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post
The kids plan is very cheap- if you want your child to eat better food then you should pay the $100 to upgrade him to an adult. With all the meals for less than $20 a day you shouldn't expect much at Disney prices. What you are saying is I want my child to eat like an adult but pay child prices and Disney doesn't offer that except if you are doing buffets (where they child can eat from anywhere).

Actually, what i'm saying is, the kids menus at Disney are horrible and need a complete remake. The mere fact that a 4 year old chooses from the same menu as a 9 year old is absurd! There should definitely be an "in between" type plan. Sure, increase the price for it! Split the difference between the kids and the adults. A 9 year old will not eat like an adult. But they will eat 3 or 4 times more than that 4 year old! A 9 year old is beyond star shaped processed chicken nuggets and mac and cheese.

I shouldn't have to upgrade to an adult. But if I do, I should certainly not have to pay for increased park tickets too! As a consumer who is paying out of pocket for this, I should have that right. Because a person would enjoy a better meal and is willing to pay for that, what right does anyone or any entity have is now saying that the person is older in age? Should have used thinking when I was 18 and going in to bars... "But I will pay for the drink so make me 19". Why is there not an in-between level?

I agree. You're absolutely right! Don't expect much from the Disney Dining Kids plan.

Lol.. I would LOVE to find a bargain from Disney! But moreover, we are paying for the experience. I'm ok with that. I am not one that likes to be taken advantage of however.

Yes, my frustration cup runneth over...

I have searched this problem on this board and it is extremely evident and rampant.

I apologize to those I may have offended by my candid responses and enthusiastic answers.

After all is said and done, I just want my son to have a good meal. Disney, is that too much to ask?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Art 1
DIS Veteran

I don't see it as a big deal I guess, a good kids meal is called and adult meal. When my son was to the point he no longer wanted kids meals he ordered off the adult menu. I think maybe you are over thinking it all.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

I order my child what she wants. I don't care which menu it comes from. That's why we don't do the ddp. It doesn't work for everyone. If it doesn't work for your family consider OOP.

However the following have steak as option on the kids menu. I just did a simple search for steak on wdwinfo.com:
Les Chefs
grand Floridian Cafe
'Ohana
Raglan Road
Portobello
Fultons
The Wave
Be Our Guest
Rose and crown

This excludes signatures as you said you didn't want those. There are plenty of places that offer items for kids other than Mac n cheese and nuggets. Disney does offer choices from nuggets to more adventurous kids items, you just have to look at all menus.

Last edited by jennylyn_b; 10-19-2013 at 11:03 AM.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I don't see it as a big deal I guess, a good kids meal is called and adult meal. When my son was to the point he no longer wanted kids meals he ordered off the adult menu. I think maybe you are over thinking it all.
I agree; when our 2 DDs didn't see anything they liked on the kids menu, they just ordered off the regular menu. This went for any restaurant not just Disney. As a family we really enjoy the steaks at the Flying Fish restaurant.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
MSLRAC
DIS Veteran

OP, since you're paying for the DDP, have you done a cost analysis? You might be better off if you drop the DDP and pay out of pocket? That way your DS can order whatever he wants from the adult or kids menu.
DCL Fantasy ~ Oct 2013 Oct 2014
AoA ~ Aug 2015
MSLRAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A 9 year old is beyond star shaped processed chicken nuggets and mac and cheese.
I don't know which restaurants you are considering, but I don't think my kids have ever had nuggets or macaroni at any table service restaurant. Definitely at counter service, but not at a sit-down meal.

I have a 9 year old who is also a huge steak fan and he got steak at a couple of places on our last trip (I think Raglan Road was his favorite.) He also had meatloaf, lamb, gourmet pizza and two or three kinds of fish.
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: