Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
delyrium
Mouseketeer

First trip! Where should I go for my birthday?

Hi! I'm so excited to be finally going to WDW with my family this coming April. I'll be celebrating my birthday on the trip. We will have our five year old and two year old with us, so it has to be somewhere they can be patient and won't disturb other restaurant patrons. I'm not sure how much a nice birthday meal would cost at Disney, but we're not in a position to do much over a hundred dollars. Suggestions?
delyrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
delyrium
Mouseketeer

Oh! And I'd like to have a drink with my meal- that's very important. We don't have a dining plan, and they only thing I've done so far is booked a breakfast at the Crystal Palace. I'd intended to do mostly quick service meals, with maybe three table service meals for the week we're there, the Crystal Palace being one, and my birthday dinner (or lunch) being one of the others. I was thinking Chef Mickey's might be the way to go, but I don't know how much of the experience there is about the characters. What I'm really interested is good food, and a fun but relaxing atmosphere.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delyrium View Post
Oh! And I'd like to have a drink with my meal- that's very important. We don't have a dining plan, and they only thing I've done so far is booked a breakfast at the Crystal Palace. I'd intended to do mostly quick service meals, with maybe three table service meals for the week we're there, the Crystal Palace being one, and my birthday dinner (or lunch) being one of the others. I was thinking Chef Mickey's might be the way to go, but I don't know how much of the experience there is about the characters. What I'm really interested is good food, and a fun but relaxing atmosphere.
Last year, I had my 34th birthday at Biergarten! It hits all of your requirements. Plenty of drinks, good food and fun/relaxing atmosphere. It's pretty loud in there when the oompah band is playing so your kids will probably like that - I know my kids do!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Last year, I had my 34th birthday at Biergarten! It hits all of your requirements. Plenty of drinks, good food and fun/relaxing atmosphere. It's pretty loud in there when the oompah band is playing so your kids will probably like that - I know my kids do!
x2
Old 10-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
delyrium
Mouseketeer

Ha-ha- awesome! My husband is a tuba player, so that should definitely be a winner on all fronts.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
SunshinesOrangeBird
Earning My Ears

Talking San Angel's Inn

There are a lot of great places that won't leave your wallet dry.

My Favorite and I mean "Favorite" restaurant is San Angel's Inn. It is located in the Mexican Pavilion. It is so relaxing because of the dim lightening. If your lucky you may be seated by the water, children are usually mesmorized by the ride that passes by. The food is simply delicious.
If you want a relaxing night, that does cost as high as Le Cellier, than San Angel's Inn is the restaurant for you. It is also kid friendly.

If your willing to not eat in the park, one of the best restaurants that has a relaxing and good environment is Wave at the Contemporary. This Restaurant is walking distance from magic kingdom, and it has great food, it is a little less kid frindly than San Angels Inn though.

Both restaurant have great drink lists
SunshinesOrangeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
delyrium
Mouseketeer

Thank you! The Biergarten sounds like a great idea, though German food is not my favorite. So other suggestions are welcome, too! I also like the thought of having a late-ish dinner as a segue into one of the night-time spectacles- I think we could do that with Biergarten and Illuminations?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
delyrium
Mouseketeer

Ooh, or San Angel's Inn.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Jenny Sanders
DIS Veteran

Olivia's at Old Key West is always a good choice, and in my opinion, a hidden gem. I also think Chef Mickey's is a lot of fun, especially if you will have your little ones with you. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald and Pluto all come around to visit guests.
Jenny Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

I think Kouzzina on the Boardwalk has a lively, celebratory atmosphere and inexpensive but good food. The cuisine combines Greek/Mediterranean flavors and some southern American influence. There are some decent drink options too. It's pretty noisy in there, though, so it might not be the best if the kids are sensitive to that.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
MinnieKitty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you! The Biergarten sounds like a great idea, though German food is not my favorite. So other suggestions are welcome, too! I also like the thought of having a late-ish dinner as a segue into one of the night-time spectacles- I think we could do that with Biergarten and Illuminations?
Biergarten is a really neat place and the atmosphere is super fun, but if you don't like German food, I would not suggest it. We (DH, DD6 and I) ate there for dinner and it cost over $100. I did not like the food at all, and DH (who is a very adventurous eater) said it was "meh". Biergarten may end up being your best bet since it hits everything else on your wish list, but I just wanted to throw my opinion in the mix.

I also really like San Angel Inn, and my DD really liked watching the boat go by. We also love Rose & Crown. Their beer is my favorite and you could watch Illuminations from there.

We also really like Via Napoli. The food is consistently amazing.

I'm not sure what the drink options are at Chef Mickey's, but that is one of our absolute favorites. We've never had a bad experience there with food or service, and the characters are awesome! For me, a birthday dinner isn't complete without some characters.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
delyrium
Mouseketeer

That is very helpful, minniekitty! For the moment, I have a reservation for Biergarten AND one for Chef Mickey's. I have the feeling I'll wind up dropping Biergarten and rebooking it for a non-birthday night if our budget starts to look a little less tight.

Now, if April could just come a bit sooner...
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We will have our five year old and two year old with us, so it has to be somewhere they can be patient and won't disturb other restaurant patrons.
It's Disney, with exception of Victoria & Albert, all places are child friendly.

If your husband is a tuba player, Beirgarten is fun. But it might be too loud for a 2 y.o. Food is good and plentiful, but nothing special.

Any buffet restaurant is going to charge for the 5 y.o. and would likely put your bill over $100.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2016?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2014?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: