Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
canadawithboys
Earning My Ears

Does AofA Have a Workout/Fitness Room?

Can't seem to find this anywhere on the net. Does Art of Animation have a fitness/workout room with weight machines, etc? And if so, can children use it?
Thanks in advance! :D
canadawithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

No, none of the values have any workout facilities.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
canadawithboys
Earning My Ears

Awe that sucks! But thank you so much for letting me know! Now I'll have time to figure out a way to let my son know beforehand, rather than him getting excited and then being disappointed when we arrive!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

I have been here a long time - and have been surprised at many things that folks find disappointing - but not having a fitness center with weight machines for a child at Disney?
Old 10-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
I have been here a long time - and have been surprised at many things that folks find disappointing - but not having a fitness center with weight machines for a child at Disney?
Fwiw at my YMCA they let kids use the cardio machines starting at 10 with some extra training. My son is looking forward to it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Fwiw at my YMCA they let kids use the cardio machines starting at 10 with some extra training. My son is looking forward to it.
At our Y they have to be 11. My eight year old is counting the days. She is pretty pumped that she is allowed to use the track now, at least. You have to be 8 for that. Not sure she would care at Disney, though... Too much other stuff to do.

TandLMommy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
canadawithboys
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
To me and my toddler, this vacation is all about Disney. My 9-year-old son is in a phase where he is more excited about the thought of using the fitness room in a hotel than visiting Magic Kingdom (it's the first thing he asks about when we go on any vacation.) He was horrified at the thought of our original plans to stay in a Little Mermaid suite, and I figured that news of an available weight room would ease the pain. I'm not sure why it's surprising that a 9-year-old has his own interests and will be disappointed by not having his favorite hotel amenity at the resort, or surprising why I would be mildly disappointed for him? It's not something I'll lose any sleep over and he had a great attitude about it when I told him, but we tend to celebrate "the little things" over here and one of those "little things" are hotels with fitness rooms that allow kids to use the equipment.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawithboys View Post

To me and my toddler, this vacation is all about Disney. My 9-year-old son is in a phase where he is more excited about the thought of using the fitness room in a hotel than visiting Magic Kingdom (it's the first thing he asks about when we go on any vacation.) He was horrified at the thought of our original plans to stay in a Little Mermaid suite, and I figured that news of an available weight room would ease the pain. I'm not sure why it's surprising that a 9-year-old has his own interests and will be disappointed by not having his favorite hotel amenity at the resort, or surprising why I would be mildly disappointed for him? It's not something I'll lose any sleep over and he had a great attitude about it when I told him, but we tend to celebrate "the little things" over here and one of those "little things" are hotels with fitness rooms that allow kids to use the equipment.
Pretty off topic here, but I want to make sure you are aware the Little Mermaid rooms are not suites, but standard hotel rooms with 2 double beds.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
DJFan88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawithboys View Post
It's a good question and a good reason as to why to come to the disboards is to find out about something you have a question about. Don't let any negativity on these boards cloud you.
We have a local Y here too, and I'm not sure what the age is, but I know it is younger than here at disney. However, I did look up on allears the age for the fitness centers on Disney and it lists it as 14 with a parent/guardian, and 17 without.

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
DJFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
canadawithboys
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
Pretty off topic here, but I want to make sure you are aware the Little Mermaid rooms are not suites, but standard hotel rooms with 2 double beds.
Thank you!! We actually did end up booking a Nemo suite rather than a Little Mermaid room... the Little Mermaid room was just the original plan (I appreciate the heads up though ... there is tons of stuff I'm learning about our trip that I didn't realize before.)

Thank you DJFan88!

And thanks to everyone else who mentioned the YMCA as well, I should check into the ages on ours. I remember that he was coming close to an age where he would soon be allowed to go assisted in the weight area. Maybe if that works out, it will ease up his urgency to find weight rooms in every hotel we stay at.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: