Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
usacanada2008
Earning My Ears

Deluxe Resorts

We are planning to upgrade our usual stay at Coronado to a deluxe resort. Which one is your favorite? What's worth the extra money?

Thanks!!
usacanada2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

I would decide what parks you'll be spending the most time at and pick from there. Epcot/DHS...then go for Boardwalk, Yacht Club or Beach Club. If MK, then one of the monorail resorts or Wilderness Lodge. Or if you really dig seeing animals out your window, AKL Split stays are fun too depending how long you are staying...see Epcot/DHS and AK from one hotel and then MK from another. Have fun planning.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
usacanada2008
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I would decide what parks you'll be spending the most time at and pick from there. Epcot/DHS...then go for Boardwalk, Yacht Club or Beach Club. If MK, then one of the monorail resorts or Wilderness Lodge. Or if you really dig seeing animals out your window, AKL Split stays are fun too depending how long you are staying...see Epcot/DHS and AK from one hotel and then MK from another. Have fun planning.
I didn't even think of changing hotels! Great idea! Do they move your luggage for you?
usacanada2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by usacanada2008 View Post
I didn't even think of changing hotels! Great idea! Do they move your luggage for you?
Yes you just drop them off at the front of the resort, usually the same place where you drop off your bags for DME, on your way to a bus. Plan to not have them available for at least a few hours though in case it takes awhile to transfer. Then when you arrive to the next resort that evening you can call and have them brought to your room.

I agree with picking a resort near the park you enjoy most. Monorail resorts for MK and EP, and EP area resorts for EP and HS. I fell in love with the yacht club when we visited for brunch in May. So now I am doing a split stay at the Poly and YC!

Oh! and to add, what I do to make splits easier, is I just don't unpack my suitcase. Then at the end I just have to put my toiletries/cosmetic bag in and zip it up! Saves a lot of time.
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by usacanada2008 View Post
Yes, they move the luggage and will even pick it up from your room (just need to call and tip bell services).

We think split stays are the way to do deluxe because, for us, their main advantage over moderate resorts is their location. But there is not one deluxe that is ideally situated for all of the parks (Poly and CR are probably the closest). Along those lines, we don't think it's worth it to pay deluxe prices and still have to rely substantially on busses.

But with a split (say at a MK resort and an EP resort), we hardly have to use busses at all, provided we plan our park days (and meals) around our resort. Plus we get to experience two different resorts, which is sort of like two vacations in one.

And we don't view the transfer day as a "lost day" because, once you've left the bags with bell services, you can still spend the day at a park, etc. (we typically go to EP on our transfer day).
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
DisGirl819
Then I thought about it and realized I'm crazy!!

Our favorite used to the the Beach Club...I still love it due to its proximity to Epcot, awesome pool area and its so pretty, plus loads of food options at BC/YC/BW and into Epcot. However, we just returned from a stay at the Wilderness Lodge and fell in love with it. Its small, its cozy, we had nothing but pleasant experiences with the CMs there, WCC is awesome to eat at with kids. I would recommend either of those. AKL is nice too but its expensive for being in an inconvenient location and being HUGE.

DLR: 2010, 2009, 2008...back to first trip 1990
WDW: 1985, 1996, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CSR, CBR, AKV-K, BCV, BC-CL, POFQ, WL, CR

DisGirl819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

What I love most about BW (Inn or the Villas) is the proximity to Epcot and DHS. We love walking to those two resorts. Not having to rely on a bus makes such a difference in our morning. Want to be at rope drop at Epcot? Leave the room at 8:15 - you are at International Gateway before 8:30! How about DHS? Leave the room by 8:10 - stroll, drink your coffee and enjoy the canal and you are there by 8:30.

The pool at BC/YC can't be beat!

BW will always have my heart but I don't think you can choose poorly when picking from the deluxe resorts at WDW!

[url=http://www.wwydwdw.com/]
LisaCM614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
karenklo
DIS Veteran

Our sons LOVE the AKL and the Poly. I love AKL and WL. My husband loves anywhere at WDW. AKL does not feel to far away to us. CR was OK, but it is just not my fave.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Keep in mind that WL and AKL are kind of an in between step as far as price goes. Less than other deluxes and more than a mod. With the 35% room only discount, both of those two resorts end up being close to rack rate for a mod.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Poohsmommi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger's ally View Post
Keep in mind that WL and AKL are kind of an in between step as far as price goes. Less than other deluxes and more than a mod. With the 35% room only discount, both of those two resorts end up being close to rack rate for a mod.
I wasn't at all impressed with the WL. It's dark and the rooms are small - way too small for a deluxe. We are going to look at a villa at AKL for the next trip. I wanted Poly, but everyone else wants AKL, and it does look nice (biggest pool on WDW property)
Poohsmommi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: