Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #931
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

k&a&c'smom Well...we did it again!!!! LOL...

Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #932
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Here are some photos to help visualize the distances in the courtyard. This was taken from the 3rd (4th? can't remember) floor of Boca Chica, garden view. The entry to the building is to the left of this photo - the entry to the main bldg. is past the pool.

Courtyard pool (prior to 2013 refurb)

Entry path

Looking right, dormer balconies next door, fire exit stairwell & end of Conch Key beyond

Sugar Loaf in center, windows and large turret of Main Bldg. sort of left of top of photo

Path between Sugar Loaf & Conch Key

This photo is from the club lounge in the main bldg. You can see Boca past the pool.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 10-22-2013 at 11:34 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #933
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
k&a&c'smom Well...we did it again!!!! LOL...
Twice! We should be meeting for coffee (well...something, I don't drink coffee! ) since we seem to be online at the same time. Now I'll go back and read your first post.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 10-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #934
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

Nope, not packing yet, Blue, but itching to!! Gosh, you're down to a week!!!! I KNOW you must have started on your packing....

Old 10-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #935
uagirl
Oh Toodles!

Looks like GF is our top contender for our trip next December. I stayed at the GF in 2000 and walked through on our 2012 trip, but I'm guessing a lot has changed in 13 years.

Our travel group includes: me, DH, DD (will be 4 at the time), mom, step-dad, 28 year old brother. Step-dad is pretty insistent on club level after our wonderful experience at the Poly last year. We stayed CL in an exterior building in 2000, but I don't remember it looking anything like the pictures look now. Should we splurge for RPC, or stick with SL?

Me-33 DH-33 Princess C-Bear-3 Princess #2 - Coming July 2014

Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #936
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Ground level of the paths, taken from the back entry to main bldg. Boca is past the pool.

Taken on the path around the pool, you can see Boca in the background

Standing on grassy lawn in front of Boca, you can see main bldg. in background

Still in front of Boca, turned so you can see Sugar Loaf on right and main bldg. in the center - see how close the buildings are to each other?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #937
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

k&a&c Thanks for posting those beautiful pics...what a view! That courtyard view is just my fave..from any direction! Well I did like it a bit better before the fence! Still lovely...

Our responses are often the same or similar... But I like to add my 2 cents..LOL...

Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #938
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

I have a lot more photos of the paths around the courtyard if anyone wants to see them, I can post later today. My Photobucket connection is running pretty slow this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uagirl View Post
Looks like GF is our top contender for our trip next December. I stayed at the GF in 2000 and walked through on our 2012 trip, but I'm guessing a lot has changed in 13 years.

Our travel group includes: me, DH, DD (will be 4 at the time), mom, step-dad, 28 year old brother. Step-dad is pretty insistent on club level after our wonderful experience at the Poly last year. We stayed CL in an exterior building in 2000, but I don't remember it looking anything like the pictures look now. Should we splurge for RPC, or stick with SL?
It really just depends on what you want from club level. RPC is pretty special, no doubt about that, but if you plan to spend most of your time at the parks or in the pool, SL is a good choice and you can save some cash for dinners, room service, special tours, etc. You get all the same food service and IPO/onsite services as with RPC, you just don't get to be in the main bldg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
Nope, not packing yet, Blue, but itching to!! Gosh, you're down to a week!!!! I KNOW you must have started on your packing....
Just over two weeks to go, you'll be on your way before you know it!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #939
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
k&a&c Thanks for posting those beautiful pics...what a view! That courtyard view is just my fave..from any direction! Well I did like it a bit better before the fence! Still lovely...

Our responses are often the same or similar... But I like to add my 2 cents..LOL...
Absolutely! I think it's great when more than one person agrees, I think the OP gets a sense that the info is accurate and up to date.

I love the courtyard view, too, which is why we never book lagoon. For us, the views of the GF are prettier, more special than those of the lagoon - but that's just us, I know lots of people like looking over the water.

I should have reminded everyone, those photos of the courtyard are from before the fence around the pool. Well, the pool refurb in general.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #940
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
Morning my friend! Half packed...will likely finish up today..then check the weather..and repack stuff..LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uagirl View Post

SL has always been the outer CL building...maybe you are remembering one side of the building over the other...the marina side is a much more compact look.. no big lawns compared to the courtyard side..

The thing that has changed in the last 13 years is that now both club level have the exact same offerings and ammenities...used to be that SL was more of a modified CL..Desk closed earlier..and there were not evening offerings...But all that has changed...

There is a significant difference in the lounge areas though..RPC being very open airy and in the main building..with an atrium view of the lobby..you can also listen to the pianist and band in the evening...there is also a significant price difference in the room rates..LOL...of course!

SL IMO..(and there are varying opinions on this).. is a great building..centrally located..has a small bistro like feel to it..with all of the ammenities of CL that make a vacation all the more relaxing... The lounge is in the lobby of the building..makes grabbing a quick bite or beverage while coming or going very easy to do...It is a good CL value...Did I just use CL and value in the same sentence???

Either way..CL at the Grand is simply Grand! Best of luck choosing...and enjoy your family vacation!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #941
uagirl
Oh Toodles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies

SL has always been the outer CL building...maybe you are remembering one side of the building over the other...the marina side is a much more compact look.. no big lawns compared to the courtyard side..

The thing that has changed in the last 13 years is that now both club level have the exact same offerings and ammenities...used to be that SL was more of a modified CL..Desk closed earlier..and there were not evening offerings...But all that has changed...

There is a significant difference in the lounge areas though..RPC being very open airy and in the main building..with an atrium view of the lobby..you can also listen to the pianist and band in the evening...there is also a significant price difference in the room rates..LOL...of course!

SL IMO..(and there are varying opinions on this).. is a great building..centrally located..has a small bistro like feel to it..with all of the ammenities of CL that make a vacation all the more relaxing... The lounge is in the lobby of the building..makes grabbing a quick bite or beverage while coming or going very easy to do...It is a good CL value...Did I just use CL and value in the same sentence???

Either way..CL at the Grand is simply Grand! Best of luck choosing...and enjoy your family vacation!
I remember facing the marina, so I'm sure we were in SL. I just don't remember the full lounge that is pictured and described now.

My parents enjoy afternoons in the lounge while the "kids" play in the parks, so I may leave the choice up to them. I am looking forward to introducing DH and DD to the GF. Give DD's princess love, I'm pretty sure she will be convinced princesses live there.

Me-33 DH-33 Princess C-Bear-3 Princess #2 - Coming July 2014

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #942
marie8461
Earning My Ears

Probably a silly question, but is the fence around the pool due to the construction? The pool is open, right?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #943
bama belle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Here are some photos to help visualize the distances in the courtyard. This was taken from the 3rd (4th? can't remember) floor of Boca Chica, garden view. The entry to the building is to the left of this photo - the entry to the main bldg. is past the pool.

This photo is from the club lounge in the main bldg. You can see Boca past the pool.
k&a&c'smom, thank you for the photos!! It really helps me visualize how close everything really is

Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #944
danielle2618
Earning My Ears

Ok need to add my two seconds worth.....

We have been four times number five comes in December. We have two rooms as we take Inlaws. We have three times stayed in sago cay and once in conch key. We have had theme park view rooms. There is nothing like waking up to hear the MK wake up and coming home in the pm to sit on the porch and watch the and hear the ppl and park the fireworks and the magic of disney. The walk is really not a good deal. You are enjoying the walk and the area never notice the walk. The pools are a bit but never one complaint from any of my kids The experience is so awesome you don't have time to complain. Looked at the other buildings and CL but just love the theme park view. Either way staying at the GF is like nothing else
Old 10-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #945
Hedobaby
Earning My Ears

Location: I live in Devon England But I am a Floridian who grew up addicted Disney

We are going to be there in a weeks time and I can not wait! I am going to get the suitcases out tomorrow and start to pack! I promised myself I would not pack too soon as I keep adding new things each day and always bring too much stuff! I forget to leave enough room for things we buy and we ALWAYS end up buying another case to take it home in. This time will be different!

I have just completed my Garden grocer order. Who knew you could order $200 in snacks and drinks for such a short amount of time! I doubt we will want it all but hey will be nice to sip and sit on the balcony watching the water parade go past and the fireworks maybe if we are lucky with our lagoon view being at an angle. I hope we get Boca Chica as requested but you never know!

Completed all my travel docs and tickets, Tickets in hand for MNSSHP and done all my ADRS. Just hope the line at immigration doesn't take hours this time! I am going to be jet lagged when I get there and hoping to make it to Epcot to hear Survivor on their last night
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: