Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
stephyamber
Mouseketeer

Red face POR or Art of Animation?

Planning our first trip to Disney World as a family! I've been doing a lot of research, but the one thing that I can't decide on is where to stay. The front runners are AOA (little mermaid room) and POR. We are traveling in the fall of 2014 and hoping for Free Dining. If we stay at AOA we will upgrade to the Mid grade dining plan. Doing that will save us around $200 as opposed to just staying at POR and already having it included. $200 is not a big deal BUT I am just unsure which resort would fit my family the best. The biggest downside for AOA for me are the double beds compared to POR queens. It seems POR is an easy choice but for some reason I keep going back to AOA...

Does anyone have an opinion or preference that can help me decide?!
stephyamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Cubicleprisoner
Mouseketeer

The AOA Little Mermaid rooms are excluded from any discounts that Disney offers. I have stayed in the LM rooms, and my advice would be to splurge and stay at POR. The walk to the LM rooms is a long one from the bus stop and the eco-thermostats at AOA are downright irratating.
Cubicleprisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
bjam12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephyamber View Post
Planning our first trip to Disney World as a family! I've been doing a lot of research, but the one thing that I can't decide on is where to stay. The front runners are AOA (little mermaid room) and POR. We are traveling in the fall of 2014 and hoping for Free Dining. If we stay at AOA we will upgrade to the Mid grade dining plan. Doing that will save us around $200 as opposed to just staying at POR and already having it included. $200 is not a big deal BUT I am just unsure which resort would fit my family the best. The biggest downside for AOA for me are the double beds compared to POR queens. It seems POR is an easy choice but for some reason I keep going back to AOA...

I would strong recommend POR. A couple of weeks ago we stayed in the Little Mermaid Room at AOA for one night before checking in at POR for the week. The previous poster is right. The walk to the bus stop is very long, and I'm not one to complain about walking. That really is the only complaint I have about AOA, but POR has great landscape, boat transportation to Downtown Disney, and a wonderful staff.
bjam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicleprisoner View Post
The AOA Little Mermaid rooms are excluded from any discounts that Disney offers. I have stayed in the LM rooms, and my advice would be to splurge and stay at POR. The walk to the LM rooms is a long one from the bus stop and the eco-thermostats at AOA are downright irratating.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
stephyamber
Mouseketeer

Thank You for the input! I'm pretty sure that POR is our place!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
stephyamber
Mouseketeer

Actually one more question. Does anyone think that a RGR is worth it? It will be an extra $500 dollars if we go with one during our stay. To me the only differences seem to be the decor and fancy beds.. am I wrong? Rooms seem to be the same size and location doesn't seem any better besides having a guaranteed building out of 2.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
BuzzLiteyear
To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at the Contemporary Resort!

Location: 978.19 miles just East of due North of CR (1161 by roads)

I have never been to AoA yet, but would love to at some point. That being said, POR is my favorite moderate resort. We've stayed there three times and it's absolutely beautiful. We love the charm of it and the small resort feel even though it's a pretty large resort. The beds are comfortable and the kids love it too. Good luck with your choice, you can't make a wrong one in this case.
BuzzLiteyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
SuzieN
DIS Veteran

I love love love POR!!!!! Really can't get myself to stay anywhere else - although I have stayed at POFQ and The Dolphin. Have never stayed in a Royal room but have stayed in both Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend. Liked both but having looked at pictures of the new theming, put in a request to be in the bayou on our upcoming trip. POR is a gorgeous resort - wonderful theming, beautiful grounds, great dining options, and the boat ride to DTD is so nice.
SuzieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Poohsmommi
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Go with POR. We have stayed there before, and love it! we just got back from AoA in the Finding Nemo suites. It was ... ok. Just ok. I would pick POR hands down. AoA just felt cheap to me (and it was anything but that price wise!)
Poohsmommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

POR is wonderful. You won't be disappointed

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

I agree with everyone else. Having stayed at both AoA (in a Car's suite) and POR, my kids and I liked POR better. AoA was nice and the theming was great, but POR was quieter and we really enjoyed the resort.

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR, 2/15 (not sure which resort yet)

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH, 2/15 (not sure which resort yet)
CareHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Actually one more question. Does anyone think that a RGR is worth it? It will be an extra $500 dollars if we go with one during our stay. To me the only differences seem to be the decor and fancy beds.. am I wrong? Rooms seem to be the same size and location doesn't seem any better besides having a guaranteed building out of 2.
I find the RGR to be worth the added expense but only because my daughter is a huge princess fan, though I will admit that even if I didn't have a little one I would have booked one at some point in time because the rooms just look awesome (and they are). They're very well done and I wanted to steal the headboards for our beds at home. It was definitely a very magical stay for my then 3-year-old. All of the rooms are the same size, 314 sq ft, regardless of whether it's a standard or RGR.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
WDGPCFR
WDGPCFR

Kids age?

You didn't mention how old your children are. If they are young they would like AoA better but if they are not giving additional bonuses skip it. We stayed at POP summer of '12 and walked over the bridge to AoA. Maybe look at that, you get two resorts for the price of one. We stayed at POR in'07 and it was very nice but I don't feel it is very Disneyfied. For adults I feel POR is better but little one's like the over the top Disney.

Also research your food needs. We got the QS dining plan with our room. I kept the receipts and found we saved a good bit of money. There was a but to it though. With every meal we got a dessert and a number of them got thrown away. There were times that we weren't very hungry and shared meals. When we checked out we used unused snack credits for a bunch of snacks to bring home. Just paying cash would have been cheaper for us if we had been paying for it.
WDGPCFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I vote for POR!
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: