Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
mousemamma
Mouseketeer

What is a Magic Band?

We've been off on the Disney Cruise ships the past several years and have been away from the parks. Just out of curiosity...what is a magic band?
mousemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

It's a RFID enabled wrist band being tested in the parks.

It acts as your room key, park ticket, Fastpass and credit card. It's rumored that it will allow some interactivity with rides in the parks at some point.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Hisgirl
DIS Veteran

It is a rubber bracelet that causes panic and many sleepless nights. It tends to be fickle and picky. Many sane logical people have been known to set aside all rational behavior in the pursuit of this band.

I predict its presence will remove all spontaneity from ones' trip as dinners, park choices, ride times, and bathroom breaks will be chosen and encrypted into this oh-so innocent wrist adornment.

We shall become the haves and the have nots. The onsites and the offsites separated by a slim piece of rubber.

And heaven forbid don't lose the band. Mercy! The whole vacation would disappear!

(all said with a twinkle in my eye)
Old 10-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

DD and I spent a week at Disney last month, we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside which is one of the resorts they were testing the Magic Bands at so we did get them.

We were able to customize them a couple of weeks before our trip. We did it on-line and were able to choose the color we wanted and have our names printed on them on the inside of the band. I chose red, and DD chose gray. They also offered green, orange, purple and blue if I remember right.

We received them a few days after ordering them so I just packed them in my carryon bag and we put them on shortly before our plane landed in Orlando. We walked down to the Magical Express bus service and that was the first place we used our bands. There were metal poles with a big Mickey head on top, and your band has a small Mickey head on top so you touch that to the other and if it lights up green, you're good to go.

Everywhere the bands are used there are the metal poles with the big Mickey head on top. The bands are used to get into your room if staying on-site, at the food court to pay for food (if you're not on the dining plan), the entrances to all the parks, fast pass entrances (you can plan your fast passes on-line, days in advance if you have the Magic Bands), restaurants in the parks, etc. Just touch the Mickey head on your band to the other one and they turn green.

Only one time did mine not turn green, it was when we were entering the Magic Kingdom. The CM had to have another CM come over with an iPad and ask me a couple of questions (for the life of me I can't remember what they were, maybe just my name and resort we were staying at, I'm not sure...) and he let me go through. But they both worked every other time, and we did use them a lot.

Much preferred the band over having to dig through my purse to find my "key to the world" card.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: