Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
Tormania
Mouseketeer

The "value" of the DDP differs for every family, however I believe the most vocal folks that say it's not worth it are thinking back to the days when you got $50 worth of food for probably $25-30 in cost of the DDP. Now the "average" amount of savings is more like spending $45-48 and getting $50 worth of food. There is still some small savings to be achieved, but compared to what folks got via the DDP 5+ years ago, it's night and day. Obviously this varies on your party and food choices.

We will be doing the DDP for the first time this Dec and it's me, my wife, and our 3½ yr old son. I ran the numbers for all of our meals, best guesses on what we would order (rather than maximum savings) and I think we come out about $50-75 ahead with the DDP, which will cost us about $900. Would we eat as much paying OOP compared to the DDP? Maybe not, but we are also on vacation and to be honest we won't be able to try a fraction of all the places and items we'd like to try so we will use the full value of the DDP. Our son is a bit young to fully enjoy all of his food, but his plan is the most cost effective of them all so that's ok.

All you can do is either do extensive cost analysis and see if one is better than the other for YOUR dining plans, or just pick OOP or DDP and enjoy that option and don't fret over whether the other option would have saved you money. In the grand scheme of things and taking into account the total cost of WDW vacation, the DDP delimma is becoming a non-issue anymore as the actual savings to be had is so small as to almost be irrelavant.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: