Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #1006
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwdisneyfanchris View Post
I stayed at POR last year in May and in October. I had an 8:05am Tusker House breakfast on both trips. In May, we were at the South Depot around 6:55, and waited forever. I don't remember when exactly we arrived, but I know we were several minutes late. I thought this was a fluke or we weren't at the bus stop early enough, so in October, we got to the South Depot by 6:40. Again, we were late. I know we arrived at 8:17am, and that was only because we ran. We will be at POR starting this Sunday, and on Tuesday, we have Tusker House at 8:20am. I have several family members who won't be able to run to the restaurant. Should I even consider trying the bus? Maybe at 6:25am? I have a group of 7 family members, including a 2-year-old, so if we wanted to try a cab, we would need a van with a car seat. I'd still rather take the bus, but I'm probably completely insane for even considering it! Just wondering if I had bad luck last year or if this is standard for early Animal Kingdom buses at POR. FWIW, we had no trouble getting to 8:00am Akershus ADRs at Epcot.
I have noticed and I am sure Disney has also, that Animal Kingdom has slowly dropped in interest for a lot of guests visiting WDW. Yeah there are a few rides, but even our Family has skipped AK on one or two stays. So maybe Disney has downsized buses going to AK for certain hours. That's all I can think of to be it. All I can say is if you need to be there early, tell bell services this. Some times they can borrow a car from the motor pool to possibly get you over there and if not a short Taxi Ride there wouldn't be too pricey either.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #1007
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3littles View Post
We are taking our first trip as a family to Disney in February. I was there when I was 4, but my other family members have never been, including DH. We booked a preferred at POR. What additional room request(s) would you make? I don't know if we should just hope for pixiedust and a decent view, or if we should make a specific request My kids will be almost 10, 7, and almost 4 when we travel. I know everyone wants things to be magical, and I feel a bit of that since I'm not sure when we'll be back. However, I feel like I'm being annoying by making a request even though I know that's pretty standard.

Would you request anything specific in one of the preferred AB buildings? I guess if I don't, I might end up staring at a parking lot for a week.
We booked a preferred for our spring 2013 trip and requested "top floor, pretty view and a corner room" In all honesty, the parking lot views are not that bad and they are much closer to the bus stop in my opinion. You have to walk through the parking lot to get to the bus stop anyways. We did get our requests .
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #1008
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey1968 View Post
For those of you who have gone to the MNSSHP on the sold out nights, how where the buses to get home at night after Midnight? What about earlier after the 2nd parade or after Wishes?

Thanks
We have went to that party 5 times and It is a very crowded night so just have you mind prepared its gonna be packed but its alot of fun
Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #1009
ALD85
DIS Veteran

The previous comments has me concerned. We have a Tusker house Res. For 8:35 am- I'm really hoping getting to the bus by 7 leaves us enough time. How long does it take to get to AK from POR?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #1010
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD85 View Post
The previous comments has me concerned. We have a Tusker house Res. For 8:35 am- I'm really hoping getting to the bus by 7 leaves us enough time. How long does it take to get to AK from POR?
There are buses that should get you there that early but I have no idea of their schedule.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #1011
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD85 View Post
Semi-officially the buses are meant to start running around 6:30am, with a regular 20-minute service officially by about an hour before each park's opening. This should mean you can get to your reservation fine, but the previous comments do seem to indicate that this is not working well. Might be worth calling the bus info people on 407-WDW-RIDE to see what they suggest (and whether that 6:30 start time is official, as I see mixed messages about it)?

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #1012
Li Li
Mouseketeer

Just returned from POR and while it was lovely, the buses really did make me unhappy. Just lots of waiting. I don't know if we were always hitting it at the wrong time or what, but I always seemed to see two busses swing by for places I wasn't going before even one bus I needed showed up.

I didn't make any requests and we got building 34 in AB. It wasn't the walk I minded, it was getting lost! I feel like the signs were confusing and there was really no good direct way to get to my lodge. We found one shortcut where we walked across the grass which helped a bit, but I am sure it is not what Disney intended!

As I said, it's beautiful and I liked our room. I just hated feeling like I could never find our building and the poor bus service.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #1013
POROct2013
Mouseketeer

Oh my, I am starting to feel a bit nervous/sick/excited all at the same time. Our first trip EVER to WDW is in 8 days. EIGHT days! OMG! I feel like I have done a lot but I feel like I have a lot still to do. Our twin daughters are turning 7 while we are there and they are getting super excited as well. They are really looking forward to staying in "Princess Tiana's room" (Royal Guest Room)!

Any thoughts on last minute things I should do before we go (besides packing, faxing in our room request, getting some US cash)?!

Thanks! We all can't wait!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #1014
snorkelyn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwdisneyfanchris View Post
I stayed at POR last year in May and in October. I had an 8:05am Tusker House breakfast on both trips. In May, we were at the South Depot around 6:55, and waited forever. I don't remember when exactly we arrived, but I know we were several minutes late. I thought this was a fluke or we weren't at the bus stop early enough, so in October, we got to the South Depot by 6:40. Again, we were late. I know we arrived at 8:17am, and that was only because we ran. We will be at POR starting this Sunday, and on Tuesday, we have Tusker House at 8:20am. I have several family members who won't be able to run to the restaurant. Should I even consider trying the bus? Maybe at 6:25am? I have a group of 7 family members, including a 2-year-old, so if we wanted to try a cab, we would need a van with a car seat. I'd still rather take the bus, but I'm probably completely insane for even considering it! Just wondering if I had bad luck last year or if this is standard for early Animal Kingdom buses at POR. FWIW, we had no trouble getting to 8:00am Akershus ADRs at Epcot.
We were a party of 7 (4 adults and kids 5,7,9) staying onsite at CSR last month. We like sleep and dislike waiting! So, we called a cab several times during our 11 day stay. They had to pick us up at the front of the resort, as the cabs are not allowed into the guest area for security reasons. We would call concierge a 15-20 minutes before we left the room, and the van (accommodated our party well) was always waiting when we got to the lobby. No car seats are needed in a taxi. Our youngest was 5. If that makes you uncomfortable, I'm sure you could arrange it with the cab company to have one. I once noticed a booster seat in the trunk area of the van once.

From CSR, we cabbed it to GF, Chef Mickeys at CR, Magic Kingdom, and Poly. Never did we pay more than $20 including tip for 7 people. It was a nice way to start the day....not having to wait! Needed much less travel time

9/2010-Poly 9/2013-CSR 3/2014-POR 5/2014-Boardwalk Villas 7/2014-POR 9/2014-Contemporary-CL 9/2014 Yacht Club

Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #1015
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by POROct2013 View Post
Oh my, I am starting to feel a bit nervous/sick/excited all at the same time. Our first trip EVER to WDW is in 8 days. EIGHT days! OMG! I feel like I have done a lot but I feel like I have a lot still to do. Our twin daughters are turning 7 while we are there and they are getting super excited as well. They are really looking forward to staying in "Princess Tiana's room" (Royal Guest Room)!

Any thoughts on last minute things I should do before we go (besides packing, faxing in our room request, getting some US cash)?!

Sounds like you just need to relax. Your going to have a magical time especially your twins for their birthdays! It's ok if you feel like that but just relax it will be fine. Don't forget to mention to them at check in about the birthdays and first visits for everyone. They give you special buttons to help celebrate the time. Cast members will say happy birthday or welcome just walking by you. It will help make it even more special for your daughters.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #1016
POROct2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Sounds like you just need to relax. Your going to have a magical time especially your twins for their birthdays! It's ok if you feel like that but just relax it will be fine. Don't forget to mention to them at check in about the birthdays and first visits for everyone. They give you special buttons to help celebrate the time. Cast members will say happy birthday or welcome just walking by you. It will help make it even more special for your daughters.
Thanks, Venomhatch! You are the wise one in these forums so I will take your advice and try to relax. Maybe a nice glass of wine tonight will do the trick.

We are going to have a magical time, you are right. We will definitely mention to them at check in about their birthdays. We really can't wait. What 7 year old girl (in this case, two 7-year old girls) wouldn't want to spend their birthday at WDW in a RGR! I know I would have!

Thanks again. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #1017
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Thanks, Venomhatch! You are the wise one in these forums so I will take your advice and try to relax. Maybe a nice glass of wine tonight will do the trick.

We are going to have a magical time, you are right. We will definitely mention to them at check in about their birthdays. We really can't wait. What 7 year old girl (in this case, two 7-year old girls) wouldn't want to spend their birthday at WDW in a RGR! I know I would have!

Thanks again. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.
Thank you... Yes I know I spent my birthday there when I was 5 loved it.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #1018
TooBoyz4us
Run! The Tag Fairies are everywhere!
Please stop licking your monitor. It's hard to clean the smudges off, and electrocution sounds painful.

Quote:

I make lists for everything.
List of things I still need to shop for.
List of items to pack (Check things off as they go in)
List of things to do before we leave.

My lists never fail me

9/1997 @ CBR...10/2002 @ CSR ...9/2004@WL...9/2009@ CSR......
11/2013 @ POR
Old 10-16-2013, 02:48 AM   #1019
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBoyz4us View Post
I make lists for everything.
List of things I still need to shop for.
List of items to pack (Check things off as they go in)
List of things to do before we leave.
LOL, and apparently even a List of all the lists you have to make.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #1020
bfamily5
Yes, I need another guide book...it's part of the process

Quote:

Don't forget to notify your credit card company that you are travelling! If you google "Disney ultimate packing list" you will find a very comprehensible list, just cross off the stuff that doesn't apply. Just being on these boards means you are more informed than the average Disney guest . It's cheaper to exchange CDN to US online than going to a tellar. POR is beautiful and my kiddies wouldn't want to stay anywhere else! Make sure to visit Yeehaw Bob! Have a Magical Vacation!!

FANTASY- Oct, 2014 Western Carribean
POR - Mar 2014.. us and the whole state of LA
CBR - Sept 2012..Just the 2 of us
POR - Sept 2011..Honey, I'm Home!
POR - Nov, 2009..Disney Love at first Sight!
Me: DH, DD(20), DD(17), DS (15)..
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: