Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #436
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith1026 View Post
Hi everyone, does anyone have experience taking the Magical Express to AKL? I know the timing varies, but we land next Thursday at 7:30, pm. I've planned on at least an hour and a half to get through MCO, to the busses and to the hotel. Does that seem realistic at that hour of day? Also, do they stop at other hotels, or does it go straight to the Animal Kingdom Lodge?
Stops vary depending on the crowds but I doubt it will be close to 1:30 mins. Last time we stayed at AKL and used DME we stopped at pop/AoA and CSR before heading to the lodge and was still their about an hour after landing in mco
Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #437
icicleVT
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith1026 View Post
Hi everyone, does anyone have experience taking the Magical Express to AKL? I know the timing varies, but we land next Thursday at 7:30, pm. I've planned on at least an hour and a half to get through MCO, to the busses and to the hotel. Does that seem realistic at that hour of day? Also, do they stop at other hotels, or does it go straight to the Animal Kingdom Lodge?

::waves:: Hi!
We're getting in at 6pm that day and are staying at AKL for the first time too. Hopefully we'll catch the bus right before yours. From what I've been reading on the forums, it seems to take about an hour from MCO to AKL.
See you there
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #438
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicleVT View Post
::waves:: Hi!
We're getting in at 6pm that day and are staying at AKL for the first time too. Hopefully we'll catch the bus right before yours. From what I've been reading on the forums, it seems to take about an hour from MCO to AKL.
See you there
....give-or-take.....mebbe a little less, but if you're including sign-in time [at MCO] to actually stepping off the bus at AKL's portico, then yup....BTW ~ JAMBO!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #439
Hulagirlie2003
Earning My Ears

A few questions

December will be our first time staying at AKL. Has anyone heard, does AKL have problems with bedbugs or cockroaches? I've heard a rumor or two about that (along with POR/POFQ, All-Stars, etc.). I'm not going to lie, it kind of freaks me out. Excited despite being slightly nervous about potential bug issues.
Also, is there any special Christmas stuff that we should see at the resort?

Thank you for your help
Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #440
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

Just booked my trip for marathon weekend....no AKL. I'm at the YC right now but so sad. I will keep watching!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #441
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulagirlie2003 View Post

December will be our first time staying at AKL. Has anyone heard, does AKL have problems with bedbugs or cockroaches? I've heard a rumor or two about that (along with POR/POFQ, All-Stars, etc.). I'm not going to lie, it kind of freaks me out. Excited despite being slightly nervous about potential bug issues.
Also, is there any special Christmas stuff that we should see at the resort?

Thank you for your help
I've never heard of bed bugs but I will say that both my SiL and I had a cockroach in our rooms, seperate rooms far away from each other. There's lots of foliage around the resort, I'm not sure it's stoppable. That was in September, no other trip I've been have I seen bugs and I've been there in January, March, June, and September.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #442
stainbas
Earning My Ears

We'll be arriving in one week for our first trip (or first trip with us as the adults!) to Disney! So ridiculously excited, as are my 2 and 4 year olds. I have a couple of questions:

1. Laundry - are these coin operated? Do I need to bring my own detergent, or do they have singles to purchase?

2. Can we make requests for rooms (understanding they might not be able to accommodate)? If so, should I do that through my travel agent or through the online process? Any suggestions on what to request? We are staying on the arusha savanna. I've heard that floors 3 and 4 are really good for viewing the animals - do people agree? Are there wings with that view that have better views of some animals than others? Thanks!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #443
maryandtyson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
December will be our first time staying at AKL. Has anyone heard, does AKL have problems with bedbugs or cockroaches? I've heard a rumor or two about that (along with POR/POFQ, All-Stars, etc.). I'm not going to lie, it kind of freaks me out. Excited despite being slightly nervous about potential bug issues. Also, is there any special Christmas stuff that we should see at the resort? Thank you for your help
We have stayed at AKL twice for 10 day trips. Never saw a bug of any kind indoors. I hope that helps!!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #444
Hulagirlie2003
Earning My Ears

Thank you

Thank you to everyone who has answered my questions.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #445
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainbas
We'll be arriving in one week for our first trip (or first trip with us as the adults!) to Disney! So ridiculously excited, as are my 2 and 4 year olds. I have a couple of questions:

1. Laundry - are these coin operated? Do I need to bring my own detergent, or do they have singles to purchase?

2. Can we make requests for rooms (understanding they might not be able to accommodate)? If so, should I do that through my travel agent or through the online process? Any suggestions on what to request? We are staying on the arusha savanna. I've heard that floors 3 and 4 are really good for viewing the animals - do people agree? Are there wings with that view that have better views of some animals than others? Thanks!
1) They are coin operated. The change machines only take ones & fives. There is a machine that sells powdered detergent. I found tide pods worked well... Cycles were about 30 minutes each for wash/dry and only my heaviest stuff was still damp at the edges.

--A
Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #446
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I've never heard of bed bugs but I will say that both my SiL and I had a cockroach in our rooms, seperate rooms far away from each other. There's lots of foliage around the resort, I'm not sure it's stoppable. That was in September, no other trip I've been have I seen bugs and I've been there in January, March, June, and September.
Of course none of us are entomologists, but are you sure they were roaches, or could they have been love bugs? In September, they are everywhere in Orlando.
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
Old 10-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #447
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
Of course none of us are entomologists, but are you sure they were roaches, or could they have been love bugs? In September, they are everywhere in Orlando.
Sadly no, it was a huge cockroach. So big I caught it under a cup because I couldn't bear to crush it.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #448
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:

December will be our first time staying at AKL. Has anyone heard, does AKL have problems with bedbugs or cockroaches? I've heard a rumor or two about that (along with POR/POFQ, All-Stars, etc.). I'm not going to lie, it kind of freaks me out. Excited despite being slightly nervous about potential bug issues....
....I'm with you there, but in all my stays [at AKL] I've never experienced any kind of bugs....can't say the same for the Mods/Values though....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #449
cheermouse
Earning My Ears

Just returned from a trip AKL. All my requests were honored and we had a perfect room. Zebra trail, 2nd floor, 3rd pod, which puts you right in the middle. We had amazing views of the animals. We were also very close to the elevators down to the pool and the quick service restaurant. The room was very clean and no bug sightings at all. The pool area was beautiful, there are a lot of chairs in the shade, so it was hard to find ones in the sun, but there are a lot of little areas outside of pool, that you could find chairs. I would return here in a minute. My 17year old really wanted to stay here and now says he doesn't want to stay anywhere else. He was like a 5 year old. Great resort! Don't hesitate booking here!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #450
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermouse View Post
Just returned from a trip AKL. All my requests were honored and we had a perfect room. Zebra trail, 2nd floor, 3rd pod, which puts you right in the middle. We had amazing views of the animals. We were also very close to the elevators down to the pool and the quick service restaurant. The room was very clean and no bug sightings at all. The pool area was beautiful, there are a lot of chairs in the shade, so it was hard to find ones in the sun, but there are a lot of little areas outside of pool, that you could find chairs. I would return here in a minute. My 17year old really wanted to stay here and now says he doesn't want to stay anywhere else. He was like a 5 year old. Great resort! Don't hesitate booking here!
I have an 11 year old DS who is the same way!!! He doesn't ever want to stay anywhere but AKL! Which I'm ok with but would like to stay at every Disney resort, well at least that's my goal! Lol we love it there! Heading back in May! Mu brother and his girlfriend are coming with us and it will be there first time staying there! I can't wait to see their reaction! It's such an amazing resort!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: