Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

It's very hard when kids see other kids doing it. It's extremely frustrating to me. My kid is 7, he is quiet and shy and follows rules almost too literally at times. For example, have you ever seen that pirate show at Hollywood studios? Well he got picked and they explained he would hold up the key when the skeleton asks who has the key. Well he did that. But no one ever told him to put his hand down and he held it up the entire show, rofl. I couldn't get his attention to tell him to put his hand down, lol.

Anyway, he will wait in lines for things, for example a water slide, and kids will jump in front of him and he doesn't know how to handle it. I'm trying to get him to learn that it's okay to stand up for himself but he is so literal about rules he will never break them. It's so frustrating when other kids just do whatever they want with no manners.

It's a tough lesson to learn that doing the right thing and having manners means they get their way and you miss out. But heck, you can walk in to any theme park, walmart, etc and the adults are no better.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
minniemouse1
Soon to be Member of the Grand Slam Club!

I have 4 children and would not get upset with another adult correcting their behavior if they were doing something wrong. I guess in this day and age what I feel is disrespectful may not be what some parents feel is disrespecting another individual so I would probably get flamed if I corrected another child's behavior.

In my defense I have 4 children and sometimes I get distracted by the whining of my 9 year old or my 5 year olds constant need for 100% of my attention at all times and I my not see my children's bad behavior so if anyone on the Fantasy April 5th cruise feels the need to correct any of my children's behavior go right ahead and I will thank you for it later when I get a second.
Wonder 2001 4 Day
Magic 2003 7 Day Western
Magic 2005 7 Day Eastern
Magic 2007 7 Day Eastern
Dream 2011 4 Day
Fantasy 2014 7 Day
DH me DD13 DD12 DD9 DS5
minniemouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
frugalwitch
Mouseketeer

I feel so sorry for the staff. Since they depend on ratings and tips I think most are afraid of saying "no" to anyone about anything. Both of my parents were disabled and I do not mind telling kids (or adults) who are being a safety hazard to get out of the way and watch were they are going. (wheelchairs are not as agile as feet and cannot stop and turn as quickly)

Actually I didn't see any badly behaved children on the Dream, we were only around them for shows and MDR. I did see a lot of rude adult behavior however.
frugalwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
txtricia
Mouseketeer

My husband and I have 4 children (10, 8, 5 & 5), and it never ceases to amaze us how many parents let their children run wild. Especially on vacation. We were shocked to see how many people let their children run amok with no supervision all over the ship (even as young as 6 or 7). My personal opinion is if I'm not doing my job as a parent and supervising my child and he/she is running, being rude, using bad language, etc. You have every right to either politely redirect them, report them to the CM's, or call it out to my attention.
txtricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #20
klr6773
Earning My Ears

IMO, CM should be stepping in if someone could get hurt by what someone else is doing (guilty adults included!). I also think they should step in if more than one guest has complained about someone's behavior.

I work in retail and I have NO problem adddressing parents if kids are doing something unsafe or bothersome to others. It's our job as representatives of the company to keep our members safe and happy while they shop.I can't recall ever having a parent get mad at me for showing concern about their kid's safety. I would certainly hope that Disney would stand behind a CM's decision to step in and address something they deem unsafe. Feeling like you could lose your job if you thought you should step in is pretty unfortunate. I'll make sure I note that on my comment card if I see something ignored...

Personal experience has shown me adults could use the reminders just as much as the kids...

RCCL "Nordic Empress" '96 & '97 Bahamas x2
Celebrity "Mercury" '99 Western
Celebrity "Zenith" '04 Bermuda
Disney"Wonder" '08 4N Sea/3n land (POFQ)
Disney "Fantasy" '13 Eastern
klr6773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #21
lindylou2_2002
Mouseketeer

If a child is being rowdy and disruptive, I would either go and speak to the parents and inform them that I will be going to a cast member if their Children don't Stop.

Or if there were no parent present I would report to a cast member, and probably speak to the children too.

I hate children at dinner times not behaving correctly and that is the area that is most difficult for me to stop my self saying something.
I have a 8 and 10 year old Girls, Last year my girls got commended for their behaviour as the lady on the next table was A High school Superintendent.
lindylou2_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #22
Donna3271
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauti View Post
Nothing, it's a mind your business situation unless someone is going to get hurt. Some parents just don't care and a stranger saying something will just make them mad, not make them discipline their kids.
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!! This is a sure way to ruin your vacation. The parents may not appreciate it, and react poorly. I would NEVER tell anyone how to parent their child. I would only intervene if my child was directly hit or hurt. We've witnessed things. We walked away and continued to enjoy our vacation.
Donna3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #23
NCConch
Mouseketeer

I am a little over 200 lbs, tattooed and have a goatee. I can usually just shoot a look and help a kid make a better decision. If not, a short and sharp "HEY!" usually does the trick. I am also a youth minister, so I have developed a few other stealthy tricks as well.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #24
Donna3271
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCConch View Post
I am a little over 200 lbs, tattooed and have a goatee. I can usually just shoot a look and help a kid make a better decision. If not, a short and sharp "HEY!" usually does the trick. I am also a youth minister, so I have developed a few other stealthy tricks as well.

I can usually just shoot a look and help a kid make a better decision... LOVE IT!! I can use you when my 3 kids are fighting!
Donna3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #25
wcw57
DIS Veteran

as a Grandparent, you learn quickly not to interfere with the parenting skills of others, even if it your own child who is the parent! However, if other kids are intruding on my DGD enjoyment of an activity/location by being just plain stupid (which means normal kids) I usually just put myself into their way....if they are jumping into pool, I go where they are jumping.....if they are running, I make sure to get in the way....etc, etc.

it doesn't change their behavior for very long, I am sure, but their behavior is better around ME and that's all I can control or worry about.

BTW, I am also the Grandpa who admonishes his DGDs probably a little too much.......you'll see me watching over my herd like a hawk!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: