Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
RosiePA
Mouseketeer

Prepaid Gratuities?

Hi All! So, my husband and I booked a future cruise on board the Dream back in September. I'm trying to move it to a 7nt Med in May, and I think it's adding prepaid gratuities. I'm trying to book a 7A secret verandah room, which is $1848pp regular price. So, I figured the 10% off is $1663.20pp. Taxes are $148.26. So, the total with the OBB discount for 2 adults should be $3474.66. The total the DCL website is giving me is $3,642.66, which is exactly $168 more and exactly equal to 7 nights of gratuities for 2 people. Now, I'm on prepaying them, though I prefer to use the OBC to cover them, because we'll spend more than $200 during the cruise. However, I can't find anything official that says they are included in the quote. In fact, I was reading the terms and conditions, and it still states that the gratuities are excluded from the price. How do I know for sure this additional $168 is for gratuities, and is there a way to not include them? FWIW, the deposit is still only coming up at $332.64, which is 10% of the base fare ($1663.20x2x10%). Anyone else running into this?
RosiePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Call and ask - note that the 10% OBB is not on the taxes - only on the fares...

Have you tried to move your booking? It will tell you straight out what the rates and taxes are including the OBB discount.

If you did this via a TA, give here a call...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
RosiePA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Call and ask - note that the 10% OBB is not on the taxes - only on the fares...

Have you tried to move your booking? It will tell you straight out what the rates and taxes are including the OBB discount.

If you did this via a TA, give here a call...
Thanks, I'm planning to call and ask tonight. I just didn't know if anyone else had noticed this. I'm very aware that the 10% off is only taken from the cruise fares. That's why I included the math. I just want to know for sure that the additional money is the gratuity. I have seen OBB quotes have included them lately, but it makes me nervous that it doesn't make mention of them being included on the DCL website. The cruise fare it's quoting me is exactly 10% off the prevailing rate plus $84 per person, which is the amount of the standard gratuities. However, it's still stating that the gratuities aren't included in the terms and conditions.

I don't use TA's after a HORRIBLE experience last year, so I take care of this on my own. I was just trying to tap the knowledge and experience of everyone on these forums before calling DCL.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Thorb73
Tinker, Pooh and their kids

Hi,
we made an onboard booking back in September and it actually includes the gratuities now. On one of the printouts they give you it was printed clearly and also on the confirmation email we got.
The guy at the future cruise desk didn't ask us if we want to prepay gratuities now - it was just added to the total. It seems to be DCl's new policy.
But again it was listed as prepaid gratuities on the confirmation email.
Don't know how it is when you modify online an existing OBB but most likely the same....

Disney's Hotel Santa Fe February 6th - 9th 2008
Disney's Hotel Santa Fe February 23rd - 27th 2009

WDW:
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort August 21st - September 1st 2011
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside August 29th - September 8th 2013

DCL:
DISNEY Dream Bahamian cruise September 1st-4th 2011
DISNEY Magic NY to Canada September 2nd-7th 2012
DISNEY Dream Bahamian Cruise August 25th-29th 2013

Thorb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
RosiePA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorb73 View Post
Hi,
we made an onboard booking back in September and it actually includes the gratuities now. On one of the printouts they give you it was printed clearly and also on the confirmation email we got.
The guy at the future cruise desk didn't ask us if we want to prepay gratuities now - it was just added to the total. It seems to be DCl's new policy.
But again it was listed as prepaid gratuities on the confirmation email.
Don't know how it is when you modify online an existing OBB but most likely the same....
Yeah, ours said it was included on board, too, but I didn't think it'd carry over to the website. I guess it does (or at least I'm hoping). I'm still going to call and confirm since the T&C haven't been updated, and there's NOTHING on the website to indicate they are prepaid! Thanks!
Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

They included prepaid gratuities with our onboard booking last month. I wasn't asked if I wanted them included or not (I do not) and I didn't notice until after I got home. Does anyone know if they can be removed?

Last month our onboard credit more than covered the gratuities, and I even increased them over the recommended amount. I am not a shopper, and I bought a couple of photos I wasn't even crazy about to use up the rest of the credit.

If I pay the gratuities next time then I'm going to be buying even more stuff I don't want to use up that credit, and I'd rather not do that.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
debsters41
DIS Veteran

I did an on board booking September 1 on the Magic and the prepaid gratuities was not included in the quote. I pre-pay anyway, but it would have been a lovely surprise to have had them added in on the quote already

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: