Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Barcelona DCL ABD 3 day add on... anyone do it? Reviews?

I'm looking into the 3 day add on in Barcelona before the DCL cruise...

Has anyone done it and what did you think?

I'd be traveling alone and I thought it would be good to see Barcelona with a tour.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Have not (and probably won't) done ABD (lots of activities geared to younger kids) but if you would feel more comfortable in a group for the 3 days, I say go for it.

I have visited Barcelona 3 times. We did the hop on/off bus for two days and visited many different areas of the city from the bus.

La Sagrada Familia is doable on your own - there are guided tours and audio guides
We did a "city" sponsored tour of the Gothic / Old Town area that was very good (and inexpensive - met at Placya Catalunya at the top of Las Rambles)
Montserrat is easily accessible via train
Parc Guell - is easily accessible from the Hop On/Off bus - its quite a hike if you take the subway there. I don't know of any public "tours" of the park.

Bottom line - do you like the convenience of a tour, or are you comfortable touring on your own? Pick up Rick Steves guide book on Barcelona and get additional ideas for things you would like to visit (like Pablo Picasso museum, chocolate museum,
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
kiford
Mouseketeer

I wasn't keen on doing a tour on my own myself so was looking into ABD but my TA told me that they weren't doing it on our cruise (June). So she recommended just booking through viator who books with other local agencies. We had two fantastic tours. One was a food and wine tour outside of Barcelona with a small group (7 plus driver/tour guide) which I would do again in a heartbeat. The other was a bus and walking tour of Barcelona. Exhausting but we saw so much. There's a lot of really good tour companies in Barcelona plus really good HOHO busses going to pretty much everything of note. I think we ended up seeing much more than if we'd gone with ABD.

The food and wine tour was fantastic - included a mid-morning snack with local meats, cheeses, wine and bread in a little place in the mountains, a stop at Monserrat, lunch at a little place out in the country on the other side of the mountains that was in the middle of their own olive orchards, and a wine/cava tasting at a winery (and some olive oil tasting there too). Then headed back to Barcelona. I did not eat dinner that night.

I was very nervous but Barcelona is a very tourist friendly city. Lots to see and lots of ways to see it.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I like some guided tours, but I don't feel the need to pay ABD's prices for a package that includes an expensive hotel.

My friend and I stayed in Barcelona for 4 days after our May Transatlantic cruise ended. Barcelona Day Tours (http://www.barcelonadaytours.com/ ) picked us up at the ship and dropped us off at our hotel when our half-day Barcelona tour ended. We also had a 2-day HOHO bus ticket, did a Segway tour, booked La Sagrada Familia timed tickets before leaving home, and took the train to Montserrat - also using Rick Steves' Barcelona guide book.

**If I were going to book a package tour, I'd love to go on one of Rick Steves' tours: http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/sp...rcelona-madrid

Last edited by NancyIL; 10-10-2013 at 05:54 PM.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Thanks for the info... I've got lots of reading to do...

I guess it will depend on how comfortable i feel with being in a foreign city for the first time. My niece went to Barcelona with her college program and said it was her favorite city!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
TexasMouseFan
Mouseketeer

My DDs and I the ABD Barcelona this past summer. It was our first experience with ABD and our first trip to Europe. For us, the ABD add on was perfect! We were nervous about being in Europe so it was comforting to know we were with 40 other people. It was also fun seeing our new friends on the ship later. ABD took a lot of stress off me...my hotel, transportation, entertainment, and most meals were all taken care of. We just had to sit back and enjoy the experience.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
ludari
DIS Veteran

In 2010 before my DCL WBTA cruise I spent five days in Barcelona but I did not arrange my visit through DCL ABD. I met up with friends in the city and we did a lot of the same things jrabbit mentioned plus several more things outside the city. When I return next year to Barcelona for the WBTA I'll be traveling alone as well and I'll be spending three days prior to the cruise visiting my favorite places.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
diznefamily
Mouseketeer

Just curious!
Nov 29, 2013 - Disney Magic
Dec 15, 2012 - Disney Fantasy
Nov 27, 2011 - Disney Dream
Feb 27, 2011 - Disney Dream
Feb 24, 2011 - Disney Dream
Aug 15, 2009 - Disney Magic
Dec 17, 2005 - Disney Magic
diznefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Thanks for the info... I've got lots of reading to do...

I guess it will depend on how comfortable i feel with being in a foreign city for the first time. My niece went to Barcelona with her college program and said it was her favorite city!
For our first DCL Med cruise, in 2010, my wife took our 2 daughters, 10 and 12, to Barcelona several days before I went. By the time I got there, both girls could take me to any part of the city by the subway. It is extremely easy to navigate, both on subway and when walking.

As mentioned above, you might want to do the hop on hop off bus tour one day to get your bearings. Another idea is a bike tour. A bike tour is a great way to see some of the city and get some exercise, which can help you overcome your jetlag. My wife and daughters did the Fat Tire bike tour on the day they arrived in Barcelona. They were tired during the tour, but the activity and the guide kept them awake and definitely helped them adjust to the time difference.

http://fattirebiketours.com/barcelona

As for hotels, we have always used www.hotwire.com for a hotel in Barcelona. Excellent rates, and the star ratings are very accurate.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
slg
DIS Veteran

I did the ABD add-on, not because I'm not comfortable with Europe (because I am, have been several times..11 times on my own) but because I wanted 3 days of someone making all the decisions for me and so I could RELAX! We had just spent 10 days in Paris and I loved it, but I also loved the ABD.

I travelled with my family...dh and 3 boys 17,14, and 11 and they loved it as well.

Was it worth the money? Depends on what you value. It was expensive and I could have done everything on my own cheaper, but the point was I didn't have to! The food, the guides, the hotel, the excursions were amazing. And I loved meeting people and having all those friends on the cruise...we didn't do the med add-on we did the cruise on our own.

Ask any questions you want. Happy to answer. This was our 9th cruise and our second ABD.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
DisneyHelen
Mouseketeer

My family did the pre cruise Barcelona ABD and loved it.We enjoyed meeting other people going on our cruise. No planning to worry about ,pick up at the airport and taken to our hotel.We saw all the highlights including Sacrada Familia and Montserrat.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
kiford
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyHelen View Post
My family did the pre cruise Barcelona ABD and loved it.We enjoyed meeting other people going on our cruise. No planning to worry about ,pick up at the airport and taken to our hotel.We saw all the highlights including Sacrada Familia and Montserrat.
Note that you do not have to be doing the ABD add on to make arrangements through Disney to be picked up at the airport. We booked a day before the cruise and three days after to stay in Barcelona. We stayed at the hotels that Disney had chosen and booked through them the hotel stays, pick up at the airport to the hotel, pick up at the hotel to the port, pickup at the port to hotel and pick up at the hotel to the airport. The tours we arranged on our own through our TA.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Abd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg View Post

. . . I did the ABD add-on, not because I'm not comfortable with Europe (because I am, have been several times..11 times on my own) but because I wanted 3 days of someone making all the decisions for me and so I could RELAX!
Good summary of ABD.

Woody
woody73 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: