Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
herewego1
Mouseketeer

Can you just plan our trip?

I just said last week I would never do a cruise and here we are looking into a cruise! I am a WDW plan-aholic. Having not a ounce of knowledge about DCL, I am feeling about this possible DCL trip.

I guess I should surrender and hand it over to a travel agent, but I hate giving up control.

Our children are 10 and 6, and my DH and I are looking at the 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Disney Magic - Itinerary A - leaving June 7, 2014. I would like to do a fall 2014, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I have no idea about prices (are there discounts like the for WDW resorts?), adding Adventures by Disney to it, best rooms (while the concierge rooms look astronomical on board, we still always stay club level at WDW so we want a decent sized, good location room.)

Any helpful information for a DCL newbie would be so appreciated!
herewego1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

There aren't many discounts for summer cruises, and the Med is a popular itinerary. The rooms are going to be smaller than the value resorts. You can look into getting two rooms for more space & two separate split bathrooms, which would probably be close in price to a lower concierge room with more space.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego1 View Post
I just said last week I would never do a cruise and here we are looking into a cruise! I am a WDW plan-aholic. Having not a ounce of knowledge about DCL, I am feeling about this possible DCL trip.

I guess I should surrender and hand it over to a travel agent, but I hate giving up control.

Our children are 10 and 6, and my DH and I are looking at the 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Disney Magic - Itinerary A - leaving June 7, 2014. I would like to do a fall 2014, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I have no idea about prices (are there discounts like the for WDW resorts?), adding Adventures by Disney to it, best rooms (while the concierge rooms look astronomical on board, we still always stay club level at WDW so we want a decent sized, good location room.)

Unlike a WDW trip, you don't really give up much control to your TA on a cruise. You will still do your online checkin, choose your port arrival times, excursions, etc. A good TA will just be the one stuck on hold with DCL making a reservation for you or putting in a request. A TA who specializes in Disney should know those things you're concerned about--any discounts, what rooms to book, etc. And remember...it doesn't cost you anything to use a TA.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
Unlike a WDW trip, you don't really give up much control to your TA on a cruise. You will still do your online checkin, choose your port arrival times, excursions, etc. A good TA will just be the one stuck on hold with DCL making a reservation for you or putting in a request. A TA who specializes in Disney should know those things you're concerned about--any discounts, what rooms to book, etc. And remember...it doesn't cost you anything to use a TA.
Yeah, I was just about to say something like this....
Old 10-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

Use a TA.

Have you ever cruised? The rooms are by nature tiny. Two rooms with a connecting door would definitely give you more space but then cost is of course higher. I have never traveled concierge so can't advise there.

There are tons if activities on ship and off. It will be awesome!

More specific questions?
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Someone on another thread just priced their cruise with 2 cat 4As and a 1 bedroom concierge with four people. It was $1300 less on a 4-night for the two staterooms.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
herewego1
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for all of the information-especially about the possibility of two rooms. I think it will be best to let a TA handle this all!
herewego1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

A good travel agent will also give you an onboard credit as a thank you -- $200 for a 7-day cruise.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
A good travel agent will also give you an onboard credit as a thank you -- $200 for a 7-day cruise.
Wow! I've heard of $50.00 OBC, but not $200.00!

Could you please PM me with the name of your agency?

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego1 View Post

This is a wonderful way to vacation. You are already ten steps ahead because you have found this website.

You are going to be shocked with the size of the cabins. We are DVC members and are use to the villas so when I first opened the door to our cabin my thought was how in the world are all five of us going to do this for 7 nights (and that was with an adjoining cabin). But we did and we had a blast and quickly forgot the size of the cabins. And this time around with our second cruise are feeling comfortable with 1 cabin, knowing that we are spending a minimal amount of time in there since we love the activity aboard and on land.

Also know, that just like DW, you won't get to do everything. But that what ever you choose to do, it will be fun.

I wish I had known about the tastings before my first cruise. My husband and I really enjoyed those.

I wish I had known that after feeding you at MDR, disney will have quite a spread out at the Pirate Party. I would have saved room to at least try some things but I was too full.

I was glad that I knew about Disboards a few months before sailing because little clues like bringing a highlighter for each family member in their own color so you can highlight the activities on the Navigators made planning easier.

Have fun!!
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: