Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
MommytoaPrince
Mouseketeer

Tell me about Tiki Beach at Grand Cayman

Our family is considering booking the Family Beach Break at Tiki Beach for our Jan 2014 cruise. We had originally planned to stay on the ship but several of our friends have encouraged us to rethink this, as they said Grand Cayman is a beautiful place that should not be missed. So for those of you that have done this excursion, what are your thoughts? Postives/Negatives???

Also, if we decide to not book an excursion in Grand Cayman, is there anything within walking distance of the port that our family could visit?

It will be myself, DH, DS6 & DS2. We have looked over Disney's excursions for Grand Cayman but nothing really seems to appeal to us. TIA!
MommytoaPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
MommytoaPrince
Mouseketeer

Bump
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
acamechis
Mouseketeer

We also booked Tiki beach for our family for October and would love to hear reviews for it!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Doodledogs
Mouseketeer

We have it booked for November as well. Looking forward to reviews!
Doodledogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
MommytoaPrince
Mouseketeer

Looks like this might not be a popular excursion. Acamechis & doodledog, I would love to hear feedback from your families if you decide to do this excursion as our cruise is in Jan 2014. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Club Disney Chandler
Mouseketeer

Go to cruisecritic.com and search for the tiki beach review, there are plenty of reviews for you to read. Sorry I can't provide a link to it, I still don't know how to completely do things on my iPhone.
DL: Way too many to count
Club Disney Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoaPrince View Post
Also, if we decide to not book an excursion in Grand Cayman, is there anything within walking distance of the port that our family could visit?

It will be myself, DH, DS6 & DS2. We have looked over Disney's excursions for Grand Cayman but nothing really seems to appeal to us. TIA!
If weather is good/normal, you will dock right by downtown (in Georgetown) and it's great to walk around. Go up (inland) 2-3 blocks from the main drag to see the Peace Memorial and public buildings. Close to the library is the main bus area -- you can ride the local bus up and down West Bay road to go to the beach, to the Turtle Farm, etc. depending on how much time you have; it's about $2.00 per person. If you turn right to go down the main drag, you will come to the C.I. Museum which is a cute little stop and you can go into the Elmslie Chruch and look up at the ceiling which is built like a ship, then go on to the Craft Market. Keep an eye out for painted "dragon" (large iguana) statues. There's tons of store (name-brand) shopping also, but it's on the spendy side. C.I. is a first world country (with generally first world, or worse prices). Walking around there is as safe (or safer) than U.S. cities (of course, one much always use due caution). There's a Margaritaville which has a small swimming pool on the second floor -- also plenty of other places to eat. You might want a small stroller for the 2YO, but even close to the dock you can poke around and get a feel for the place. A U.S. dollar is worth 80 cents C.I.; everyone takes either currency. Of course, going to 7 mile beach is also wonderful -- shallow water for the little ones, and you don't have to go out far to see pretty fish (usually). Our favorite beach is Cemetery Beach, but it's pretty far north, and doesn't have any services.

I would not recommend staying the ship, if you don't have to.

Here are some photos from my last visit -- photos from town are on pages 2 and 3: http://s113.photobucket.com/user/mec...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by mecllap; 09-28-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added photo link
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
MommytoaPrince
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecllap View Post
If weather is good/normal, you will dock right by downtown (in Georgetown) and it's great to walk around. Go up (inland) 2-3 blocks from the main drag to see the Peace Memorial and public buildings. Close to the library is the main bus area -- you can ride the local bus up and down West Bay road to go to the beach, to the Turtle Farm, etc. depending on how much time you have; it's about $2.00 per person. If you turn right to go down the main drag, you will come to the C.I. Museum which is a cute little stop and you can go into the Elmslie Chruch and look up at the ceiling which is built like a ship, then go on to the Craft Market. Keep an eye out for painted "dragon" (large iguana) statues. There's tons of store (name-brand) shopping also, but it's on the spendy side. C.I. is a first world country (with generally first world, or worse prices). Walking around there is as safe (or safer) than U.S. cities (of course, one much always use due caution). There's a Margaritaville which has a small swimming pool on the second floor -- also plenty of other places to eat. You might want a small stroller for the 2YO, but even close to the dock you can poke around and get a feel for the place. A U.S. dollar is worth 80 cents C.I.; everyone takes either currency. Of course, going to 7 mile beach is also wonderful -- shallow water for the little ones, and you don't have to go out far to see pretty fish (usually). Our favorite beach is Cemetery Beach, but it's pretty far north, and doesn't have any services. I would not recommend staying the ship, if you don't have to. Here are some photos from my last visit -- photos from town are on pages 2 and 3: http://s113.photobucket.com/user/mec...?sort=3&page=1
Thanks so much for this info!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Doodledogs
Mouseketeer

Thank you for this info!
Doodledogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Saw this on CC and thought as a current review, it may or may not interest anyone considering it.

Grand Cayman : The worst excursion we did (tiki beach), sand was nice where chair was, but when you got in water very grainy and rocky and tiny pieces seashells like sand, and coral reef about 20-30 feet from shore, so could not swim much, drinks were outrageously expensive, got back to ship, tried to find a restaurant near docks, found none, shops were quite expensive too...... so no lunch that day (4/10)
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
MND
DIS Veteran

We didn't do the Tiki Beach Club excursion, but we did visit the "beach club" just down from Tiki Beach. We took a city bus (think van) from near the port to the "Public Beach" on 7 Mile Beach. The bus let us out right across from the Surfside Club. http://www.surfside.ky/

We rented a few beach chairs and umbrellas and spent our time there. We had a bit of lunch and a few drinks and the prices were reasonable. The water was sort of rocky and I had water shoes which were very helpful. However, the water was crystal clear.

Our stop in Grand Cayman was too short, so this was a cheap and easy way to spend our limited time on the island.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: