Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
mommymanda
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 160

Any loopholes for a cheaper stay family of 5, on site

We want an on site stay, with dining plan and such. We did go once before 7 years ago, but not with the two younger children and it will be their one and only trip to Disney. Last time was the final week of August and we found the trip went quite smooth, not much waiting and a relaxing day.

I am currently planning Aug 9-15 as it is over my youngest birthday and he'll still be considered a 2year old for the trip.

I'm terrified of crowds though, we want to enjoy this trip and all the 'predictors' indicate that week being 8 to 9 in crowds. The last week drops to 4 or 5 crowds. Than however, I am traveling with a 3year old and my cost jumps by nearly $1000.

Right now cheapest option I have is POR-riverside when I use online booking. We don't care about the room size since we just go to sleep/shower and back out. So are there any loopholes to rooms with a family of 5 to stay at a small value?
mommymanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!
 
rcraw45425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbus, GA, South of Atlanta
Posts: 11,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymanda View Post
We want an on site stay, with dining plan and such. We did go once before 7 years ago, but not with the two younger children and it will be their one and only trip to Disney. Last time was the final week of August and we found the trip went quite smooth, not much waiting and a relaxing day.

I am currently planning Aug 9-15 as it is over my youngest birthday and he'll still be considered a 2year old for the trip.

I'm terrified of crowds though, we want to enjoy this trip and all the 'predictors' indicate that week being 8 to 9 in crowds. The last week drops to 4 or 5 crowds. Than however, I am traveling with a 3year old and my cost jumps by nearly $1000.

Right now cheapest option I have is POR-riverside when I use online booking. We don't care about the room size since we just go to sleep/shower and back out. So are there any loopholes to rooms with a family of 5 to stay at a small value?
It can't be done, legally. Your 2 (3) year old has to be under two and sleep in a pack and play portacrib. Not to mention how cramped you'd be.
__________________
Robin
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite)

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran
 
fairestoneofall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: south carolina
Posts: 4,455

if your youngest is under 3, you should still be able to stay value (if you are counting him in your five). however, online won't let you do that. you'd need to call. but I wouldn't want to have five people in a value, to be honest. the rooms are small and adding a pack-n-play would make it even tighter. the beds are double, which makes it harder to put the toddler in there with two other people (this is what happens with my toddler since he will not sleep in a hotel crib).
__________________
emily (wife to DH), mom to DD DS DS

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymanda View Post
We want an on site stay, with dining plan and such. We did go once before 7 years ago, but not with the two younger children and it will be their one and only trip to Disney. Last time was the final week of August and we found the trip went quite smooth, not much waiting and a relaxing day.

I am currently planning Aug 9-15 as it is over my youngest birthday and he'll still be considered a 2year old for the trip.

I'm terrified of crowds though, we want to enjoy this trip and all the 'predictors' indicate that week being 8 to 9 in crowds. The last week drops to 4 or 5 crowds. Than however, I am traveling with a 3year old and my cost jumps by nearly $1000.

Right now cheapest option I have is POR-riverside when I use online booking. We don't care about the room size since we just go to sleep/shower and back out. So are there any loopholes to rooms with a family of 5 to stay at a small value?
As the pp said, if you are counting your 2 yo in the 5, you can stay at a value as those accommodate 4 + 1 under the age of 3. Also, I agree with the pp to call if the website won't let you price out/book a value with 5 (with one of those 5 being under 3) as there have been some glitches with that. Good luck .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
jimandami
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Union, KY (Cincinnati)
Posts: 2,991

I think she is saying that she wants to go at the end of August instead of the beginning, which means the youngest will have turned 3. So, the answer is, no, there are no glitches that allow you to cheat the system. If your child is 3, you need to have a room for 5 and you need to purchase tickets for him/her.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -
 
Allison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,697

No, no loopholes. Stay at POR or go when your youngest is still 2.
__________________
LIFE IS GOOD
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
I think she is saying that she wants to go at the end of August instead of the beginning, which means the youngest will have turned 3. So, the answer is, no, there are no glitches that allow you to cheat the system. If your child is 3, you need to have a room for 5 and you need to purchase tickets for him/her.
I apologize as I misunderstood her post. But just to clarify, I wasn't saying there was a glitch that would allow her to book a value for 5 with all kids over the age of 3. The website has been having glitches that wouldn't allow people to book a value with 5, with one of the kids under the age of 3. I thought the OP was trying to do that with her youngest being 2 and it wasn't allowing her to do that.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Kimberle
WL Vet
 
Kimberle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,798

You might consider staying at a FW Cabin. They are a bit more expensive, however, you'll have a full kitchen and grill. You can save a LOT of money by preparing most of your own food. If you don't have a car, you can order from sites such as Gardengrocer.com. They will deliver.
__________________
Aug 01 CR, N Wing Sept 02 Country Inn & Suites, Calypso Cay Sept 03 WL, Crtyd view
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level


Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
jimandami
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Union, KY (Cincinnati)
Posts: 2,991

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
I apologize as I misunderstood her post. But just to clarify, I wasn't saying there was a glitch that would allow her to book a value for 5 with all kids over the age of 3. The website has been having glitches that wouldn't allow people to book a value with 5, with one of the kids under the age of 3. I thought the OP was trying to do that with her youngest being 2 and it wasn't allowing her to do that.
Oh I wasn't referring to you when I was said glitch...just to the OP. I realized you had misunderstood her question. I probably should have said loophole
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
Oh I wasn't referring to you when I was said glitch...just to the OP. I realized you had misunderstood her question. I probably should have said loophole
I kind of thought that after I posted.....no worries .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Lyndsey
Mouseketeer
 
Lyndsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boardman,Ohio
Posts: 153

I would not worry too much about crowds if you make use of extra hours and go back to room during middle of day or watch parades you will not even notice them. I visit disney every year during Easter we have always had an enjoyable time my kids have never complained. This has been going on since my oldest was 1, he is now 14. Since I am a family of 5 I know the feeling about a huge price jump between value and POR. I say go when you are able to still book at value, do not use a pack and play bring a sleeping bag or have the youngest sleep with you...Enjoy your trip
__________________
Lyndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
kam1011
Mouseketeer
 
kam1011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey View Post
I would not worry too much about crowds if you make use of extra hours and go back to room during middle of day or watch parades you will not even notice them. I visit disney every year during Easter we have always had an enjoyable time my kids have never complained. This has been going on since my oldest was 1, he is now 14. Since I am a family of 5 I know the feeling about a huge price jump between value and POR. I say go when you are able to still book at value, do not use a pack and play bring a sleeping bag or have the youngest sleep with you...Enjoy your trip
This. I don't know how old your older two are, but my three kids all sleep in the same bed on vacation most of the time anyway. They think it's fun. They all sleep sideways so they have more room side-to-side and the length is shorter, but still long enough for all of them. (FTR, we stay in 2BR villas, but they all want the couch bed.)

I have been the week of Aug 9-15 many times and it's one of my favorite times to go. Usually, Disney will do a free dining offer that starts on the 15th and the days right before that are not crowded. (We've stayed until the 16th or the 18th and WOW what a big difference when the 15th hits. - But like you said the last week is much less crowded with the southern states back in school.) I'm talking about 3/4 empty parking lots, NEVER used the tram, half empty restaurants, etc. NOT crowded that week IME. But we are summer people, so I'm comparing this with my experience of all other summer weeks, not an off peak day in September.
__________________
1980s & 1990s:
Disney Inn (x2), Fort Wilderness Cabins (x2), Disney's Lake Buena Vista Villas (fav! x2), Caribbean Beach (x2), All Star Music, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Dixie Landings (x2)

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...


kam1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
kapoof
DIS Veteran
 
kapoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 2,697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
No, no loopholes. Stay at POR or go when your youngest is still 2.
I agree....I thinking...loop holes????
__________________


me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.