Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #226
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erineab View Post
Hi everyone,
Hopefully I'm posting this is the right spot. We will be travelling to POFQ in March for 4 nights with my parents. My father is 75 and will just have completed cancer treatment (both chemo and radiation) about 9 weeks prior to our trip. Our family as a whole has been undecided about whether or not the trip will be too much for him, but he really wants to go and it is giving him something to look forward to as he ploughs through the ugliness of this disease.

I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice on which building to request (I know nothing can be guaranteed, but a request can't hurt). View is not as important as location - something that is easily accessible to the pool, food court and bus stop. I have never been to this resort so I'm a little at a loss.

Thanks in advance!
In April we were in 5101. Building 5, first floor, corner room closest to the food court. It is a Florida Special room. Single sink instead of double. Grab bars at the commode and in the tub (not a shower stall, a regular tub) and hand held shower fixture. Location is perfect with the exception that you will hear a bit of noise at night when the majority of people are returning from the parks. Sometimes they forget that it is 11:30 p.m. and most people are asleep. This might be perfect for your father. I definitely think he needs something to look forward to as he goes through his chemo. Disney is the THE best place to celebrate!
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #227
annmorr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
Though that was interesting but I think the US form is easier to read as you normally say month day year when reading a date. Or do you read it as day of month?

But now to the real reason I'm posting. We were at Disney the beginning of the month and went to see the new musician at Scat Cats. We were very disappointed. He did sing and play well but there was no personality. You could have been listening to recorded music. He certainly did not have the Disney spirit. He seemed very cold and a little rude- when someone requested a song but got the name wrong, he rudely corrected them. When we asked for a certain song, he told us to write it on the list - a little strange since there was only us and another table all evening. We stopped by for a second night just to see if he was having a bad night. Same experience! When he took his break,he hurried out - no stopping to say hello or thank us for coming. It's not like the place was packed and he would have missed his break talking to people.
We had the exact experience as you when we went to his show in late August. I agree that his singing and song selections were pleasant, but absolutely no audience interaction - not even a nod or a smile when we tried to show some enthusiasm for his show. And he seemed to be on break more than he was on stage. Hope that POFQ can come up with some better entertainment in the future.
annmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #228
cassie
I did run free in the 70's
Connecticut Yankee
desperately wants to be like the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblackstars View Post
I have requested a 3rd floor room in building 6, I wanted to be somewhere a little quieter as I am the worst sleeper in the world, a pin dropping can wake me! Has anyone stayed in this building? Is it a bit quieter than the buildings surrounding the pool? I have earplugs packed but it would be nice not to have to use them, LOL!
I had a corner room on the second floor in bldg 6 and found it very quiet. Even with the stairs being there.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #229
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmorr View Post

We had the exact experience as you when we went to his show in late August. I agree that his singing and song selections were pleasant, but absolutely no audience interaction - not even a nod or a smile when we tried to show some enthusiasm for his show. And he seemed to be on break more than he was on stage. Hope that POFQ can come up with some better entertainment in the future.
Damn we will miss Elliot next month. Guess we will have to head over to riverside for yeehaw bob
Old 10-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #230
kristinew
Earning My Ears

Question about rooms- we will be coming on Thursday yeah! We requested Bldg. 5 third floor- we paid for river view. Are there any corner rooms with two Queens? I thought I had read somewhere there were kings in the corner. I would like to send a fax on Monday and add a corner room just in case but wanted to check first.

Thanks again!
kristinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #231
nydancemom
Mouseketeer

I don't know about building 5, but my daughter and I had a third floor, river view, corner room with two queens in bldg. 7 on our last trip. We thought it was a perfect room
nydancemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #232
siskaren
DIS Veteran

At POFQ, all King rooms are corner rooms, but not all corner rooms are Kings. Check the map at http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php - when you click on a building, it will tell you what category each room number is.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #233
kristinew
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
At POFQ, all King rooms are corner rooms, but not all corner rooms are Kings. Check the map at http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php - when you click on a building, it will tell you what category each room number is.
Thanks so much! Was on the page but did not know you could that!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #234
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinew View Post
I find the same map on this page of the site easier to navigate (and find on the site)...maybe because I am on iPad?

http://portorleans.org/frenchquarter-info.php

Last edited by Minnie&Nana; 10-13-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #235
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Same here didn't know you cold hit it and expand. Now I have. Backup room in case our request us taken.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #236
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset7132 View Post
Same here didn't know you cold hit it and expand. Now I have. Backup room in case our request us taken.
It says right underneath each map, "click on each building to see room layout".
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #237
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

Building question

I have a question from the map. Earlier on this topic someone asked which building(s) were closest, and it came up as 4 and 5. When I look at the POFQ map from the link, it shows that 2 and 3 are just as close.

Is that correct, or is the map not to scale and there's more distance than shown?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #238
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger&tigerlover View Post
I have a question from the map. Earlier on this topic someone asked which building(s) were closest, and it came up as 4 and 5. When I look at the POFQ map from the link, it shows that 2 and 3 are just as close.

Is that correct, or is the map not to scale and there's more distance than shown?

Thanks!
Bldgs 4 and 3 are both directly next to the Lobby/food court and bus stop. But even some rooms in bldg 4 would be farther than some other bldgs because of the shape and length of the bldg. It truly depends on the room location in each bldg. Because the resort is small and compact nothing is far...we enjoy the stroll through the resort to our room because it is so pretty. Guests with rooms directly next to the food court (we've had those rooms twice) usually do not see the rest of the resort.

Some rooms in bldg 2 will be closer than some rooms in bldg 4 or 5...really depends on room location. You can always request "close to lobby" rather than a bldg number.

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #239
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger&tigerlover View Post
4 and 5 are on the food court / bus stop side of the main building, while 2 and 3 are on the lobby / shop side.

But as we keep saying, it's such a small resort that it really isn't worth worrying about it too much either way.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #240
kristinew
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
It says right underneath each map, "click on each building to see room layout".
Sorry for not seeing that!

Tags
faq, french quarter, pofq, port orleans

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: