Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
arizonacolbys
Owner of 2 Crazy Labs!

Best request for quiet room at OKW?

We're travelling to OKW for the first time late Nov/early Dec. We are a family of 4 - 2 girls 3.5 & 5 years old. We will have our own car that we will drive to the parks - what's the best request I can make for a quiet room for naps & sleeping at night? Canal view? Fairway view? Or a specific section - like Turtle Pond? TIA!!
All Star Movies: Jan 2000 & Sept 2001 ~Poly & WL: Dec 2002, Contemp: March 2003 ~ POP - Sept 2004 (w/Jeanne!!), Jan 2005, May 2005 & Sept 2006! ~ BWV - Oct 2006, POP & CBR: Jan 2007 ~ WL: Aug/Sept 2007 ~ Poly & SSR: August 2009 - Maddie's 1st trip! ~ POR: Jan 2010 - girls only while hubby served in Iraq ~ SSR: Dec 2010 - Evelyn's 1st trip! ~ POP - May 2011 ~ AKLV - Sept 2012 ~ OKW: Dec 2013 ~ Upcoming trip - Dec 2014!!
arizonacolbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
abner1776
DIS Veteran

I would advise you to stay away from bldgs that are on the main road, near the pools or near the bus stops. We stayed in bldg 46 which is on the main road and my wife complained of hearing busses go by at all hours of the night. Our room was a canal view room which was great and we did not hear any noise coming from the canal boats going by.

Having a car certainly helps as that means you can stay in bldgs that are far away from the bus stops and/or far away from the hospitality center.

I am assuming you have not requested "near hospitality" bldgs so you are precluded from choosing bldgs such as # 12 which our daughters found to be very quiet.

I have also heard that if you get bldgs too far down either South Rd or Turtle Pond then the road noise from the Parkway can be bothersome.
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
abner1776
DIS Veteran

OK, so to expand on my original response...

THe following bldgs would offer you a quieter stay than say some of the other bldgs because either they (1) are off the main Peninsula Road, (2) away from a pool, (3) away from the Parkway roads, or (4) not on the bus routes.

Bldgs 53, 54, 51, 34, 35, 36, 37, 24, 25.

Bldgs 24 and 25 I beleive are "near Hospitality" so access to those bldgs is limited.

I have not staying in any of these bldgs but I have walked by all of them so my comments are based on my observations.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
yarddecor
Earning My Ears

I agree about keeping away from rooms facing the main roads where the buses go by. I cant remember which building we were in, but the buses went by every few minutes then turned around in near by cul-du-sac and came back by again. The drivers seemed to accelerate just as they passed our room on the way out of the cul-du-sac. It was bad. Check the maps before you go to have a good idea where you don't want to be. When you check in and they show you you're room and it looks like it may be on a noisy road, ask for another room. It's not necessarily certain buildings that are noisy, just where the rooms are located in the building. The bus system is great. Park your car for the duration of your trip, relax and leave the driving to Disney!
yarddecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
kam1011
Mouseketeer

We have always stayed in 12 or (once) 64. Both were quiet. 12 is off the beaten path but very close to the hospitality house, the perfect location. 64 was still a pretty close walk and we had an elevator to the top floor with a beautiful view of the golf course. (They told us only two buildings had elevators.)

We've always called a day or two before our stay and requested "near hospitality" just for access to the pool. We always drive everywhere as well!

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...

kam1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

My favorites were 37 and 43.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
keef22
She's gonna EAT me!

Just got back late yesterday (OK early this morning ) from our first trip to OKW. We were in building 39...at the far reaches of Turtle Pond. While this is probably one of the closest buildings to Bonnet Creek Pkwy, we really couldn't even hear the traffic unless we were actually outside. We were on the ground floor, so I'm sure the vegetation helped to mitigate the noise...
Old 11-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
Tinkmom
DIS Veteran

As much, if not more important that building location would be having a villa on the top floor. I haven't noticed too much noise in general locations, but have often been annoyed by people running by our door on the way up, or those in the unit above apparently having elephants run wild through their unit -- usually at the crack of dawn.

Well worth going up a couple of flights of stairs. . .
Tinkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Also, we found that the size of the villa matters for the amount of noise you hear. We heard lots of noise from other guests and buses when we stayed in studios on 2 separate occasions. The way the outside door is right by the beds let alot of noise into the studio. We also heard noise from the guests in the attached one bedroom - that door was pretty thin between the studio and 1 bedroom.

When we have stayed in larger villas, we haven't heard any noise. We chalked it up to the fact that the outside door wasn't in the sleeping spaces. Our favorite building was 46, but we were in a 2 bedroom, so the outside door was in the living area and no one heard any outside noises while trying to sleep.

I second the high floor for less noise - we always request top floor.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: