Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #46
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran
 
ZehnJahren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,689

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDisneyBoy View Post
That's an awesome idea. If you have more please feel free to share them.
You might also consider surprising them right before getting to AKL. Pass up the CBR exit, and of course someone (probably the wife!) will say "oh you missed the turn!" You can then say, "no I didn't". Then while you're heading to the AKL exit, you can tell them that you have a surprise for them, and you're not staying at CBR - they'll ask where you're staying and you can just tell them "you'll see." Or you can ask them if they trust you to get them where you're going, and just keep driving.

I believe that exit for AKL only has AK and AKL on it, so once you get off at that exit the chances are that they'll know where they're going and the excitement can start! If the exit does have another resort listed (I don't remember that being the case when I was at AKL, but I could be wrong), they'll still have to guess - but you pass the AK entrance to get to the AKL entrance so it will be pretty obvious!

You could not say anything, pull up to AKL, and when the guard asks why you're there, you just say "checking in". There's a surprise!

You could also consider getting an ADR for one of the AKL restaurants for your arrival day, and then tell them that you're running late and need to go straight there. If the time seems inconvenient, you could say that it was the only ADR they had and you really wanted to try zebra domes. Then you could tell them when you got to AKL ("Grab your bags, we're checking in instead!"), or during lunch/dinner ("What do you guys say we just stay here?"), or after eating ("I've decided we're not leaving!"), or you could suggest going out to look at the animals (before or after eating) and check in then and surprise them apart from the meal.

You could even get up to use the bathroom, go check in, and then simply come back and lay the room keys on the table without saying a word. They'll pick them up and see their names on them.

You could tell them you have a surprise for them but you have to "stop by AKL to get it". The surprise could be the room keys.

You could always tell the wife if she can keep a secret, and she can be in on it with you. She could suggest going to AKL first and you could agree and head that direction, or she could say she wants some zebra domes and you could agree to stop there first.
ZehnJahren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #47
weswife
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,624

I am surprising my family with a change in resorts!

I did tell DH a month ago, could not keep it from him! We are staying at POP the first night, then going to the BC for 2 nights! My kids (14 and 20) think they are staying 3 nights at the POP. We got a deal on airfare to go down 3 nights early on the upside it made our trip a full 2 weeks! My DD 20 is happy to stay anywhere in Disney! She loves any resort! DS (14) is a hotel snob, he LOVES his deluxe stays! DH is kind of the same but likes mods! I am like DD happy to be there!!! So, I know my kids will love the move and enjoy the surprise! I am a BIG BC fan so I know I will be pumped! We will have 4 nights at OKW and 6 nights at BWV!

Enjoy your trip!!!!
__________________
weswife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #48
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 52

More good ideas. Thanks. I think I'm going to have to be prepared to come up with several excuses as we roll into Orlando. I will probably get off at the exit before the AKL exit. It has more resorts showing on the exit signs (I think). That may not give anything away. I believe that is the exit after the CBR exit. Not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
You might also consider surprising them right before getting to AKL. Pass up the CBR exit, and of course someone (probably the wife!) will say "oh you missed the turn!" You can then say, "no I didn't". Then while you're heading to the AKL exit, you can tell them that you have a surprise for them, and you're not staying at CBR - they'll ask where you're staying and you can just tell them "you'll see." Or you can ask them if they trust you to get them where you're going, and just keep driving.

I believe that exit for AKL only has AK and AKL on it, so once you get off at that exit the chances are that they'll know where they're going and the excitement can start! If the exit does have another resort listed (I don't remember that being the case when I was at AKL, but I could be wrong), they'll still have to guess - but you pass the AK entrance to get to the AKL entrance so it will be pretty obvious!

You could not say anything, pull up to AKL, and when the guard asks why you're there, you just say "checking in". There's a surprise!

You could also consider getting an ADR for one of the AKL restaurants for your arrival day, and then tell them that you're running late and need to go straight there. If the time seems inconvenient, you could say that it was the only ADR they had and you really wanted to try zebra domes. Then you could tell them when you got to AKL ("Grab your bags, we're checking in instead!"), or during lunch/dinner ("What do you guys say we just stay here?"), or after eating ("I've decided we're not leaving!"), or you could suggest going out to look at the animals (before or after eating) and check in then and surprise them apart from the meal.

You could even get up to use the bathroom, go check in, and then simply come back and lay the room keys on the table without saying a word. They'll pick them up and see their names on them.

You could tell them you have a surprise for them but you have to "stop by AKL to get it". The surprise could be the room keys.

You could always tell the wife if she can keep a secret, and she can be in on it with you. She could suggest going to AKL first and you could agree and head that direction, or she could say she wants some zebra domes and you could agree to stop there first.
BamaDisneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #49
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 52

I'm not going tell the DW. I want to surprise her too. I'm more of a hotel snob than anyone else in the family but after spending 20 years in the military I appreciate anything better than a tent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswife View Post
I am surprising my family with a change in resorts!

I did tell DH a month ago, could not keep it from him! We are staying at POP the first night, then going to the BC for 2 nights! My kids (14 and 20) think they are staying 3 nights at the POP. We got a deal on airfare to go down 3 nights early on the upside it made our trip a full 2 weeks! My DD 20 is happy to stay anywhere in Disney! She loves any resort! DS (14) is a hotel snob, he LOVES his deluxe stays! DH is kind of the same but likes mods! I am like DD happy to be there!!! So, I know my kids will love the move and enjoy the surprise! I am a BIG BC fan so I know I will be pumped! We will have 4 nights at OKW and 6 nights at BWV!

Enjoy your trip!!!!
BamaDisneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #50
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDisneyBoy View Post
So sorry you lost your mom to breast cancer. My mom is a breast cancer survivor. She had it in the early 70's so I'm blessed to have been able to grow up having a mom.
It was bone cancer in fact... I've been blessed to have a wonderful mother for 27 years of my life.

But happy to know your mother is a survivor. It's fantastic.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #51
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDisneyBoy View Post
I'm not going tell the DW. I want to surprise her too. I'm more of a hotel snob than anyone else in the family but after spending 20 years in the military I appreciate anything better than a tent.
Oh my god, I would die of happiness if my husband did something like that for me.

That is a great idea.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #52
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession
 
samnbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDisneyBoy View Post
I'm not going tell the DW. I want to surprise her too. I'm more of a hotel snob than anyone else in the family but after spending 20 years in the military I appreciate anything better than a tent.
I'm impressed you can keep this secret @ all!!
I'm terrible with secrets! (I.e. presents)

We were fortunate to get an amazing upgrade for our upcoming trip! I thought of so many different scenarios to surprise them, then when my DH & kids got home..I blabbed! I was so excited that I couldn't hold it in-lol!!

No matter what you do, they will love it! It's beautiful there & you & your family will have an amazing trip!!!
__________________
Sept.99-GF Lodge concierge(During Hurricane)
May.01-Poly concierge
Oct.03-GF RPC
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

samnbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #53
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 52

Sorry, I don't know why I thought it was breast cancer (thought that's what I read). Any cancer is horrible. I lost my dad to prostate cancer 15 years ago. It's all terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
It was bone cancer in fact... I've been blessed to have a wonderful mother for 27 years of my life.

But happy to know your mother is a survivor. It's fantastic.
BamaDisneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #54
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
Oh my god, I would die of happiness if my husband did something like that for me.

That is a great idea.
Well, I don't really want it to kill her. Lol.
BamaDisneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #55
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnbilly View Post
I'm impressed you can keep this secret @ all!!
I'm terrible with secrets! (I.e. presents)

We were fortunate to get an amazing upgrade for our upcoming trip! I thought of so many different scenarios to surprise them, then when my DH & kids got home..I blabbed! I was so excited that I couldn't hold it in-lol!!

No matter what you do, they will love it! It's beautiful there & you & your family will have an amazing trip!!!
Trust me, it's not easy. I know they will have fun regardless if I tell them now or later.
BamaDisneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #56
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 52

Got Mickey Mail yesterday. It said we were staying at the CBR. It must have been processed before I changed our reservations. I'm going to take it as a sign to just let them keep thinking that is where we are staying.

Last night I said something about maybe stopping by AKL and looking at the animals before we went to CBR. The whole family liked that idea since our only plans for the first day is a trip to DTD.
BamaDisneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #57
Nancy F
DIS Veteran
 
Nancy F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,349

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDisneyBoy View Post
Got Mickey Mail yesterday. It said we were staying at the CBR. It must have been processed before I changed our reservations. I'm going to take it as a sign to just let them keep thinking that is where we are staying.

Last night I said something about maybe stopping by AKL and looking at the animals before we went to CBR. The whole family liked that idea since our only plans for the first day is a trip to DTD.
That sounds like best idea yet!!! can't wait to hear how the surprise goes!
Nancy
__________________
Nancy F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #58
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDisneyBoy View Post
Got Mickey Mail yesterday. It said we were staying at the CBR. It must have been processed before I changed our reservations. I'm going to take it as a sign to just let them keep thinking that is where we are staying.

Last night I said something about maybe stopping by AKL and looking at the animals before we went to CBR. The whole family liked that idea since our only plans for the first day is a trip to DTD.
Everything is in order for a huge surprise then. Good luck on keeping the secret.

I don't remember reading about when you are going?
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #59
DreamerWDW
Doing what dreamers do
 
DreamerWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 337

Surprising them sounds fun and I would go for it

Sounds like it is all working out
__________________
DVC owner
DreamerWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #60
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
Everything is in order for a huge surprise then. Good luck on keeping the secret.

I don't remember reading about when you are going?
We are going the first week of December.
BamaDisneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.