Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #31
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout View Post
Not at akv. We were there on points and had key issues getting into the laundry room and was accuse of not having that privilege. Showed I was and they apologised
Someone clearly didn't know what they were talking about, Disney clearly states that a washer and dryer is an amenity when staying at a DVC resort on cash. As long as you are a registered guest you are free to use the facilities. The one thing Disney says is not free unless you are a DVC member is borrowing movies.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #32
disneyfreak33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Grumpy View Post
just like to add my observations from another dvc owner. also there
i have concerns about the intent of the poster bragging how she
"help" herself...especially when she tried to defend her behaviors.

i don't think this is a popularity contest, so whether a dvc owner
doesn't object to your actions isn't the issue. "what is" to me,
is the fact that dvc monitor electric bills/wear & tear for
replacement costs. and those costs are paid for...not by disney
but the owners. so even if there wasn't another person in
the laundry room....does not mean it was for free. and i
don't have any doubt that you knew this.

because dvc-don does pay for this, his points are valid and you
are stealing. if it was free, it would have been available @
all resort. you knew that...and you planned your actions in advance.

...now someone not knowing for sure ,& just saw others using the room
might make the mistake of thinking they could use it. esp. staying @
the resort. but for you to "act" as if you didn't realized you shouldn't
or being innocence is not believable to me. it called "rationalization".
your own words is what i am basing this on.....i am sure most
recognized that your real intention...." how many times do you bring
laundry -must have "driven" not bus , eh?----instead your actions
indicated you planned this. so i think , that why dvc-don was riled
up.
we're blt owners, & i think that dvc did placed locks on that resorts-is
because dvc is aware that not all guests respect others...& with
different morals. i also think that the new dvc owners , in general -are
more aware of their dues and the hidden costs from those intruding
& stealing....even if it just a few pennies, it still taking something
that others are paying for....& no rationalizations you can come up
with will change that fact.

my profession is mental health....& rationalization create problems.
just like the poster jumping in to support, by thanking you-
fyi, that's ok, but there are interventions owner can take by
calling security ....won't that be a wonderful memory to "take
home."
well said. I agree 100%.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #33
Day-Day
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
I just want to make you aware that it is DVC members that pay for members and guests of members (those staying at the resort/renting points) for that free laundry through their maintenance fees. The free laundry is not meant for every guest staying throughout WDW and it is also not paid for by Disney. Perhaps you were not aware of this at the time.
Thanks, I didn't realize this may be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Grumpy View Post
just like to add my observations from another dvc owner. also there
i have concerns about the intent of the poster bragging how she
"help" herself...especially when she tried to defend her behaviors.

i don't think this is a popularity contest, so whether a dvc owner
doesn't object to your actions isn't the issue. "what is" to me,
is the fact that dvc monitor electric bills/wear & tear for
replacement costs. and those costs are paid for...not by disney
but the owners. so even if there wasn't another person in
the laundry room....does not mean it was for free. and i
don't have any doubt that you knew this.

because dvc-don does pay for this, his points are valid and you
are stealing. if it was free, it would have been available @
all resort. you knew that...and you planned your actions in advance.

...now someone not knowing for sure ,& just saw others using the room
might make the mistake of thinking they could use it. esp. staying @
the resort. but for you to "act" as if you didn't realized you shouldn't
or being innocence is not believable to me. it called "rationalization".
your own words is what i am basing this on.....i am sure most
recognized that your real intention...." how many times do you bring
laundry -must have "driven" not bus , eh?----instead your actions
indicated you planned this. so i think , that why dvc-don was riled
up.
we're blt owners, & i think that dvc did placed locks on that resorts-is
because dvc is aware that not all guests respect others...& with
different morals. i also think that the new dvc owners , in general -are
more aware of their dues and the hidden costs from those intruding
& stealing....even if it just a few pennies, it still taking something
that others are paying for....& no rationalizations you can come up
with will change that fact.

my profession is mental health....& rationalization create problems.
just like the poster jumping in to support, by thanking you-
fyi, that's ok, but there are interventions owner can take by
calling security ....won't that be a wonderful memory to "take
home."
Do you have a word for when someone makes incorrect assumptions and thinks they have the ability to read minds?
Old 10-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #34
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Wow - I honestly didn't get the impression that the poster was bragging about getting to do laundry for free.

When we've gone on trips (not Disney) and we've had laundry to do, we've planned other things around it so we're not sitting at the laundry mat waiting.

I got the impression it was an honest mistake. The poster thought hey, while we are playing tennis, let's bring our quarters (which she said she did) and do our laundry over there so we don't have to sit around for it later.

Are there big signs that say only DVC allowed to use? If not, then blame Disney for not putting up signs. Most people wouldn't even know it was a DVC resort and DVC laundry only.

Seriously, I doubt the poster plotted the whole thing to save 8 bucks or so it would've cost to do some laundry.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
Old 10-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #35
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
Wow - I honestly didn't get the impression that the poster was bragging about getting to do laundry for free.

When we've gone on trips (not Disney) and we've had laundry to do, we've planned other things around it so we're not sitting at the laundry mat waiting.

I got the impression it was an honest mistake. The poster thought hey, while we are playing tennis, let's bring our quarters (which she said she did) and do our laundry over there so we don't have to sit around for it later.

Are there big signs that say only DVC allowed to use? If not, then blame Disney for not putting up signs. Most people wouldn't even know it was a DVC resort and DVC laundry only.

Seriously, I doubt the poster plotted the whole thing to save 8 bucks or so it would've cost to do some laundry.
I agree with you.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #36
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

It's Laundry people!! Let's not take this thing way out of proportion!!
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #37
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post

You are not expected to do laundry at another resort- they should not have to put up signs saying the laundry rooms (that happen to all be attached to pools that are clearly marked with resort guests only signs) are for the resort guests only- it should be fairly obvious- since her resort had a laundry room she could have used. All the resorts have laundry rooms - just the DVC ones are paid for out of dues instead of OOP while at Disney.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #38
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

The laundry rooms at DVC resorts are free for everyone's use, whether they're a member staying on their own points, a renter staying on a member's points, or a cash guest through Disney reservations.

Laundry rooms are no different than any other amenity at a DVC resort. You stay at a resort, you get to use all the facilities of that resort. I know some would rather that renters and cash guests wouldn't even be using the resorts, because they aren't "theirs", but no DVC member bought an exclusive members-only timeshare, and no DVC member signed a contract that says anything about laundry rooms being only for member use. If you want DVC to be restructured to be exclusive, take it up with Disney Vacation Development.

No non-member is taking anything away from the members by using the laundry rooms. Whatever use the non-member makes of the laundry room is covered by the dues of the member that owns the points they're staying on. A renter is just a replacement for the member. Whether I stay at VWL and use the laundry rooms there, or I rent my points to someone who stays at VWL and uses the laundry room, my dues are still covering my, or my guests', use of the laundry.

Same goes for the DVC room inventory that Disney owns and rents to the general public for cash. Disney pays its share of the dues (operating costs) on that inventory, just as any other owner would.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #39
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M
The laundry rooms at DVC resorts are free for everyone's use, whether they're a member staying on their own points, a renter staying on a member's points, or a cash guest through Disney reservations.

Laundry rooms are no different than any other amenity at a DVC resort. You stay at a resort, you get to use all the facilities of that resort. I know some would rather that renters and cash guests wouldn't even be using the resorts, because they aren't "theirs", but no DVC member bought an exclusive members-only timeshare, and no DVC member signed a contract that says anything about laundry rooms being only for member use. If you want DVC to be restructured to be exclusive, take it up with Disney Vacation Development.

No non-member is taking anything away from the members by using the laundry rooms. Whatever use the non-member makes of the laundry room is covered by the dues of the member that owns the points they're staying on. A renter is just a replacement for the member. Whether I stay at VWL and use the laundry rooms there, or I rent my points to someone who stays at VWL and uses the laundry room, my dues are still covering my, or my guests', use of the laundry.

Same goes for the DVC room inventory that Disney owns and rents to the general public for cash. Disney pays its share of the dues (operating costs) on that inventory, just as any other owner would.
Right, the problem comes in when people from other resorts come over to do "free" laundry. They have not paid maintenance dues nor are they a cash reservation through CRO. Their use is additional over & above the expected usage and contributes to additional wear and tear on the facilities.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #40
MAO
BWV Owner

While I agree that it's rather surprising anyone would go to another resort to do their laundry, I think it's plausible. However, I think what is upsetting most people is the "free laundry" that was in the title and a couple of the responses -- those of us who pay maintenance fees every year to support those laundry rooms are justifiably unhappy with the implication that someone is saying "hey, come over here and do your laundry for free!" This is my 15th year of owning at BWV and I've never used the laundry rooms. That does *not* mean I begrudge any person staying in the BWV (*not* BWI) rooms using them. Whether staying on points they own, they've rented, or on a cash basis, legally staying in a DVC room gives that person access to the amenities which include use of the pool, Community Hall, and laundry room. (I believe Disney allocates some % of cash-basis income to upkeep, so I don't have a problem with cash paying guests taking advantage of those amenities.) I do, however, have an issue with people deliberately going to a DVC resort specifically to use those amenities because they're "free." I think the OP was surprised to discover the laundry room was useable for free; I think that the decision to use said laundry room *if* the second responder to this thread knew that the laundry room at her resort was not free was morally questionable but understandable. What those of us who are DVC owners are trying to get across to any people reading this thread is that once you know the laundry rooms at a DVC resort are free, it would be wrong to specifically go there to use them.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #41
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAO View Post
While I agree that it's rather surprising anyone would go to another resort to do their laundry, I think it's plausible. However, I think what is upsetting most people is the "free laundry" that was in the title and a couple of the responses -- those of us who pay maintenance fees every year to support those laundry rooms are justifiably unhappy with the implication that someone is saying "hey, come over here and do your laundry for free!" This is my 15th year of owning at BWV and I've never used the laundry rooms. That does *not* mean I begrudge any person staying in the BWV (*not* BWI) rooms using them. Whether staying on points they own, they've rented, or on a cash basis, legally staying in a DVC room gives that person access to the amenities which include use of the pool, Community Hall, and laundry room. (I believe Disney allocates some % of cash-basis income to upkeep, so I don't have a problem with cash paying guests taking advantage of those amenities.) I do, however, have an issue with people deliberately going to a DVC resort specifically to use those amenities because they're "free." I think the OP was surprised to discover the laundry room was useable for free; I think that the decision to use said laundry room *if* the second responder to this thread knew that the laundry room at her resort was not free was morally questionable but understandable. What those of us who are DVC owners are trying to get across to any people reading this thread is that once you know the laundry rooms at a DVC resort are free, it would be wrong to specifically go there to use them.
Goodness, such angst over laundry and how a thread is titled.

No, I was not "surprised" to find the laundry was free. I knew before I went four years ago laundry was free at DVC resorts, hence why I asked the question about deluxes.

For those posters that answered my question, thank you.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #42
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie

i am no mind reader..but your actions revealed your intent.
for ex., i am sure you take your laundry with you whenever
you play tennis. guilt seem to be your guide because of lack
of justification? yes...it true....if one compares what others
say vs what they are doing...is more accurate.

as for others, if you was paying for someone else would you
not object when others help themselves to something
coming out of your pocket. as a dvc member, i trust them
to secure anything that we are paying for. now if disney
is willing to pay for your free laundry then that would
be ok with me. so before you judge dvc -d., it easy to
understand his anger.

thanks d.freak...not as "tight" as i wanted to be. fyi...this is
a more significant "point/way of thinking" then most are
aware of...just not for this situation. rationalization when done
to a fault, is very hazardous to a person life. for ex. , it
explains why so many die in house fires....the respiration
system isn't just about getting oxygen...it is an exchange
rate....critical for maintaining "ph". we have back up systems
in placed & in some situations giving oxygen will shut them
down , leading to death. so i was not to confront her claim,
but i don't think anyone buys the way she did it. really,
coming from another resort....just by chance.

fyi, to dfreak....very tired...as i wrote that in between working
several over times...work has been "heavy" lately.

if i observe a car pulling up with all their laundry & "seeing"
their window sticker is from another resort....& i am
dues....them i have a the right for dvc to stop it. but if
disney paying for it, then i could care less. * why?
it just laundry...but "members" see this type of stealing
all the time....& i am objecting to dvc...their current actions
is to raised our dues. this action, makes it unethical based
on "taking something that does not belong to you"/
no permission by owners do so. so yeah, i am with dvc -d.,
it ticks ,me off when disney permitted this "guest" to steal
something that i must pay for. clearly.

one more observation, why are you denying the fact that
disney is not paying for your free laundry but dvc
members?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #43
sonogirl
Fan of the Disney World Snake thread!

Wasnt going to post but as a DVC member of 15 years I believe poster WAS bragging about the free laundry she recieved, especially after putting at the end of her post. We DVC members are going to believe she knew what she was doing, only she truly knows. Many people do things at Disney to save a buck, legally or illegally. Bravo Lil Grumpy!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #44
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonogirl View Post
Wasnt going to post but as a DVC member of 15 years I believe poster WAS bragging about the free laundry she recieved, especially after putting at the end of her post. We DVC members are going to believe she knew what she was doing, only she truly knows. Many people do things at Disney to save a buck, legally or illegally. Bravo Lil Grumpy!!!!!!
1. The poster specifcially stated "I brought the laundry to wash while we were playing and found out there was no charge for the washer and dryers."
The key words are "found out". The poster did not know.

2. Also the same poster stated in another post that she brought quarters. So if the poster knew it was free, why did she bring quarters?

I'd be psyched too if I went to do laundry, and discovered it was free (without knowing it was taboo for me).
Old 10-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #45
'ohanaof5
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilby View Post
Someone clearly didn't know what they were talking about, Disney clearly states that a washer and dryer is an amenity when staying at a DVC resort on cash. As long as you are a registered guest you are free to use the facilities. The one thing Disney says is not free unless you are a DVC member is borrowing movies.
I was at AKL Kidani last week and used the laundry room, there is a sign on the wall that states the use of the laundry facilities are for DVC members. Why is there a sign if it's for everyone?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: