Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
DbleTheFun
DIS Veteran

Managed to get Cabana for 12/12 sailing but...

So I have been checking (ok stalking is more like it) the site for a cabana to come available for my upcoming sailing since the 90 day mark and today magically there was cabana 19!! I grabbed it immediately, but it is on Serenity bay and we would rather be on Family Beach so that we can keep a closer eye on the kids. Worse case, we will leave them in the hideout (teen) and scuttles cove (the 6 yr old twins) and they will be happy as clams as we relax on the other side of the island- but ideally we would prefer to be a bit closer in case they want to hang with us for a bit after lunch. (Although last year they didnt want anything to do with the Cabana and were at their respective "camps" all day leaving me solo on family beach HAHA)

Has anyone successfully had kids on the island with them but headed to Serenity Bay and just checked in on them throughout the day? Our kids are independent and LOVE the counselors etc on DCL... this is their 4th Disney Cruise so Im not tooooo worried... but I dont want to look like a bad mommy as I take off for some R&R and leave my kids a mile down the road! HAHA

Tell me Im not the only one who has ever done this! (Or maybe someone will read this who has a reservation for family beach cabana and wants to trade for mine? HAHA)
WDW April '04, WDW May '05, WDW Dec. '07, DCL Wonder May '08, WDW at SSR May '08, WDW at SSR Dec. '08, DLR at GCC Sept. '09, WDW at KVAK Dec. '09, WDW at SSR May '10, WDW at SSR Dec '10, DCL Wonder + 5 days at GCV April '11, WDW at SSR Dec. '11, May '12 at BLT. DCL Dream & SSR Dec '12. SSR/BLT & DCL Dream Dec '13.
DbleTheFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
frugalwitch
Mouseketeer

I don't know about traveling back and forth to check, but I do know someone kept trying to sneak her child into SB behind the cabanas on Oct 5th, and was told she couldn't have children there on 3 separate occasions that I personally heard from cabana 19.

I'm not telling anyone how to parent, I have no children, thus no grandchildren. I personally would not leave my 5 year old niece to play without my supervision, but that is just me.
frugalwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleTheFun View Post
So I have been checking (ok stalking is more like it) the site for a cabana to come available for my upcoming sailing since the 90 day mark and today magically there was cabana 19!! I grabbed it immediately, but it is on Serenity bay and we would rather be on Family Beach so that we can keep a closer eye on the kids. Worse case, we will leave them in the hideout (teen) and scuttles cove (the 6 yr old twins) and they will be happy as clams as we relax on the other side of the island- but ideally we would prefer to be a bit closer in case they want to hang with us for a bit after lunch. (Although last year they didnt want anything to do with the Cabana and were at their respective "camps" all day leaving me solo on family beach HAHA)

Has anyone successfully had kids on the island with them but headed to Serenity Bay and just checked in on them throughout the day? Our kids are independent and LOVE the counselors etc on DCL... this is their 4th Disney Cruise so Im not tooooo worried... but I dont want to look like a bad mommy as I take off for some R&R and leave my kids a mile down the road! HAHA

Tell me Im not the only one who has ever done this! (Or maybe someone will read this who has a reservation for family beach cabana and wants to trade for mine? HAHA)
no way

it's a lot further apart then you think

HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
ggfred32
Mouseketeer

Leave them. Take the Wave phone. It is all good....
ggfred32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
DbleTheFun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee View Post
no way it's a lot further apart then you think
let me clarify... I have been to CC before- and am well aware of the layout on the island. I would NEVER sneak my kids onto serenity bay.... So not a worry there. I wouldnt leave them unsupervised.... Thats ridiculous... But the 13 year old already informed us its the hideout or the edge for him- no interest in hanging with us... And im fine with that. The 6 (7 in January) year old twins want to hang in Scuttle Cove all day (thats the SUPERVISED kids club on island for those who arent familiar)... Its just like the kids club on ship- but mid island. I am not implying that i would allow the younger two to run around the family beach without me! We would come back and have lunch as a family (though I know already I will have to drag them away from their friends to do this) and will have the wave phones if the leaders or the 13 yr old need us. It is 2 tram stops away from the kids club. This is LESS distance than leaving kids in club to do adult shore excursions- and we have done this before on previous DCL cruises. I just would like to have a cabana on the family beach as its closer to the ice cream bar etc...but I should appreciate that disney does such a great job entertaining the kids that they wont even miss me!
WDW April '04, WDW May '05, WDW Dec. '07, DCL Wonder May '08, WDW at SSR May '08, WDW at SSR Dec. '08, DLR at GCC Sept. '09, WDW at KVAK Dec. '09, WDW at SSR May '10, WDW at SSR Dec '10, DCL Wonder + 5 days at GCV April '11, WDW at SSR Dec. '11, May '12 at BLT. DCL Dream & SSR Dec '12. SSR/BLT & DCL Dream Dec '13.

Last edited by DbleTheFun; 10-11-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
frugalwitch
Mouseketeer

You asked, we answered. If your mind is already made up, why ask?
Enjoy your trip.
frugalwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Personally I wouldn't do it but it's your vacation. I want to spend as much time with my kids that I can but we're such a busy family and they're growing up so quick. You know what works best for your family.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
DbleTheFun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalwitch View Post
You asked, we answered. If your mind is already made up, why ask? Enjoy your trip.
oh i dont mind your opinions! I just wanted to clarify since i think people were confused with whether i knew the island or were going to leave my kids to run wild... Or worse sneak them over the SB! The only question I asked actually was if anyone ever enjoyed SB when they had their kids along for the cruise. My mind IS made up... As mentioned- Im keeping my cabana unless a family beach ones comes available. We are in WDW for a week before and after the cruise... And my kids alway look at the DCL portion of our holiday is "camp time"... Last 2 years they want nothing to do with us adults as soon as they get aboard the ship haha.

Last edited by DbleTheFun; 10-11-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleTheFun View Post
... The only question I asked actually was if anyone ever enjoyed SB when they had their kids along for the cruise. ...
To answer that question, we have been to CC 10 times now and it wasn't until our last stop there that we all rented bikes & DH made a point of the kids [12 & 14] waiting outside the entrance for us while he showed me that SB really does exist. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed. I like having the ship in view, along with some of the activity. I prefer the family beach area. DD won't stay in the club, so SB wouldn't really be an option for us anyway.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
dpswift
DIS Veteran

DH and I went to SB on our last cruise(DS is 11). We enjoyed it. The buffet is better than in the family beach. If your kids want to be in the kids area and that is what works for your family then go for it. As much as our family loves cruising we never see a lot of the kids. They are too busy having fun.

We did not rent a cabana. I would actually feel safer with a cabana because if the counselers needed you they would know right where to look.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
TmlndSpdwy03
Mouseketeer

We wont have a cabana but I plan to drop my 7 yr old off at the kids club on the island and go hang out at SB. I enjoy their buffet and beach better. 7 yr old is not biggest fan of the ocean so we are all happy.

I personally wouldn't get a cabana unless it was family because in the off case that my child changed her mind and didn't want to go to kids club I would spend the day at the family beach with her instead and then it would suck cause the cabana would just go to waste.
TmlndSpdwy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
Personally I wouldn't do it but it's your vacation. I want to spend as much time with my kids that I can but we're such a busy family and they're growing up so quick. You know what works best for your family.
We wouldn't either, but that's just us (it's a Murphy's Law kind of thing with us). But as the PP noted you know what works best for your family. Just do what you think is best. Enjoy your cruise.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: