Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #31
MousekaReady
Earning My Ears

Considering your kids are older and have always wanted to stay there, I think a surprise would be welcomed. Unless there are things about the other resort that they might be looking forward to or things about the new resort that they would want to investigate prior to your arrival, I think a surprise would be a nice gesture.

As for me, I have written off vacation surprises until the end of all eternity. I decided to surprise DS4 with a trip this summer because he has been begging to go see Mickey since we left. It was a huge multi-generation family trip and NONE of the kids had any idea we were going. Anyway, when we told him we were leaving for the airport to go to WDW, he freaked out on us and didn't want to go AT ALL. The surprise set the mood for the entire trip and not in a good way. My brother did the same with his kids DS15, DS12, DD12, and DS6 and had an uneventful reaction. They thought they were going white water rafting at my Uncle's house. It was indeed not the response he was looking for. Some kids, regardless of age, don't handle surprises or schedule changes well. Good luck!
MousekaReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #32
MousekaReady
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovbniak View Post
Easy answer: Surprise them somehow

On our first trip to WDW our whole family knew we were going but what I did as a surprise was book an extra 2 days.

It was killing me, especially as our vacation was ending. Sad faces all around until the night before we were to leave I sprung it on them.

Best surprise ever!
What an awesome idea! Maybe I haven't sworn off vacation surprises yet. That is brilliant. Seriously, no one ever wants to leave!
MousekaReady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #33
ericstac
DIS Veteran

We surprised the three boys a couple Xmas vacations ago. It was awesome.. 10,8,3.

It was their last day of school before holiday break and we told them I was heading out of town to a job site and they were dropping me off before school.. The airport is an hour and a half from the house lol. 6am flight.

We are up early in the morning, hit the airport get my luggage and get us all through security without them knowing anything, they thought the were just going to watch me fly away, and never being on a plane before they were clueless.

When they announced boarding we told them and they were dumbfounded.. "What about school". Lol... It was great, plus we didn't have them bugging us the last six months prior about when we were going to leave like kids do.

My short story.
2013 - Beach Club/Polynesian - Christmas
2014 - (May) Port Orleans Riverside
2014 - (July) Port Orleans French Quarter
2014 - (Dec) Port Orleans Riverside

EJ's Disney Pinterest Board

EJ's 2014 VLOG has Begun
ericstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #34
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDisneyBoy View Post
How in the world did you do that?
I did all the planning for us. My ENTIRE childhood we had talked about staying at CR and she swore we'd stay there some day every time we rode the monorail through, but we could never afford it (we were one of those families that drove down and camped - honestly, I loved it). After my parents divorced, staying at the CR became completely impossible - we were lucky to go the few times we did go after that, and it was always offsite.

When she arrived at Pop (the day after me), I told her I was unhappy with the room since it was so far away and that we were going to move "somewhere closer", so not to fully unpack as we were moving the next day.

The next day, I called a cab to take us to the CR, which had been the "plan" all along. I told her I wanted to make sure to make MK rope drop, so I didn't want to wait for a bus. I had her bring her suitcase down to the lobby, and then instead of handing it over I just walked out the doors to the cab and she followed me with only a few questions (one was "why are we taking our bags?"). The story is actually here and here.

I will never, ever forget the look on her face when she fully realized what was going on. By the time we got to CR, she and I both were completely in tears. She could barely speak to the CM at the desk, and the CM started to tear up too when she heard our story. I'm actually tearing up a bit right now thinking about it.

It was the best surprise I ever did.

Last edited by ZehnJahren; 10-11-2013 at 08:55 PM.
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #35
thr33boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post

I did all the planning for us. My ENTIRE childhood we had talked about staying at CR and she swore we'd stay there some day every time we rode the monorail through, but we could never afford it. After my parents divorced, it became completely impossible - we were lucky to go the few times we did go after that, and it was always offsite.

When she arrived at Pop (the day after me), I told her I was unhappy with the room since it was so far away and that we were going to move "somewhere closer", so not to fully unpack as we were moving the next day.

The next day, I called a cab to take us to the CR, which had been the "plan" all along. I told her I wanted to make sure to make MK rope drop, so I didn't want to wait for a bus. I had her bring her suitcase down to the lobby, and then instead of handing it over I just walked out the doors to the cab and she followed me with only a few questions (one was "why are we taking our bags?"). The story is actually here and here.

I will never, ever forget the look on her face when she fully realized what was going on. By the time we got to CR, she and I both were completely in tears. She could barely speak to the CM at the desk, and the CM started to tear up too when she heard our story. I'm actually tearing up a bit right now thinking about it.

Great story! It sounds like you and your Mom have a special relationship.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #36
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thr33boys View Post
Great story! It sounds like you and your Mom have a special relationship.
My mom and I are very close; I think she's the best person I've ever met and I hope I can live up to her someday.

Surprising her with the CR was so exciting! It was impossible to stop talking about it in the time leading up to the trip; I live in a different city than her, so I was free to talk to anyone I wanted about it.

Her reaction, and our trip, is the reason I suggested to the OP - SURPRISE THEM! It's so fun and exciting and wonderful. She had no idea we were going to CR, and when she found out, her excitement was not lessened in any way by not knowing ahead of time! She STILL talks about it.

Her boss at work loves Disney and goes every year, and many of coworkers love Disney too. Everyone she works with thinks I am the best daughter ever.

edited to add: I think if you surprise them ahead of time, you talk about it until you go. If you surprise them while you're there, you talk about it after. Both are very exciting!

Last edited by ZehnJahren; 10-11-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #37
Sydney2977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Luckily I do all of the planning so I don't have to worry about that aspect of it. I let everyone decide what parks we are going to each day and I take it from there. We are usually on a pretty flexible schedule.
Me too. I have them and DH help me pick and plan park days, adr's, down time, etc. Luckily, AKL is close to CSR, so transportation aspects aren't affected in showimg the boys my final plans. You know your kids best. I think a surprise can be good both ways.

All-Star Music April 2002All-Star Movies September 2003Pop!Century February 2006All-Star Sports January 2007

Coronado Springs October 2010Coronado Springs November 2011Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2013
Sydney2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #38
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears

Great story. I couldn't have pulled that off.

Quote:
My mom and I are very close; I think she's the best person I've ever met and I hope I can live up to her someday.

Surprising her with the CR was so exciting! It was impossible to stop talking about it in the time leading up to the trip; I live in a different city than her, so I was free to talk to anyone I wanted about it.

Her reaction, and our trip, is the reason I suggested to the OP - SURPRISE THEM! It's so fun and exciting and wonderful. She had no idea we were going to CR, and when she found out, her excitement was not lessened in any way by not knowing ahead of time! She STILL talks about it.

Her boss at work loves Disney and goes every year, and many of coworkers love Disney too. Everyone she works with thinks I am the best daughter ever.

edited to add: I think if you surprise them ahead of time, you talk about it until you go. If you surprise them while you're there, you talk about it after. Both are very exciting!
BamaDisneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #39
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2977 View Post
Me too. I have them and DH help me pick and plan park days, adr's, down time, etc. Luckily, AKL is close to CSR, so transportation aspects aren't affected in showimg the boys my final plans. You know your kids best. I think a surprise can be good both ways.
We are no longer park commandos so we don't do much planning anymore. The last couple of trips I didn't even made dining reservations until we got there. Luckily, none of us starved to death while we were there.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #40
Badamon
Mouseketeer

I would never be able to contain a secret like that! I get too excited about going and love talking about our upcoming trip. Always wanted to surprise the kids on the day of the trip, but never made it!
What ever you decide to do you are guaranteed a great family memory!

Badamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #41
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I did all the planning for us. My ENTIRE childhood we had talked about staying at CR and she swore we'd stay there some day every time we rode the monorail through, but we could never afford it (we were one of those families that drove down and camped - honestly, I loved it). After my parents divorced, staying at the CR became completely impossible - we were lucky to go the few times we did go after that, and it was always offsite.

Lost my mom (cancer) 7 years ago so that kind of story (involving moms) makes me a bit emotional. Yours was amazing, it brought tears to my eyes. You did the kind of stuff I wish I could have done if my mom was still alive. Bravo!
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #42
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are no longer park commandos so we don't do much planning anymore. The last couple of trips I didn't even made dining reservations until we got there. Luckily, none of us starved to death while we were there.
If you don't make big plans anymore, I would SO surprise them with the AKL trip when you get there! Maybe take them to AKL and have them go out to see the animals and then say you have to go to the bathroom - go in and check in, then come back out with room keys. Oh man, I can think of a hundred ways to do it!

Yes, they'll be confused why you want to go there first before even checking in to your hotel, but most likely they'll just kind of go along with it. And if they protest and say that they want to go straight to the hotel, you can tell them that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
Lost my mom (cancer) 7 years ago so that kind of story (involving moms) makes me a bit emotional. Yours was amazing, it brought tears to my eyes. You did the kind of stuff I wish I could have done if my mom was still alive. Bravo!
Thanks; I really like surprising her with stuff now that I'm an adult, since she gave up so much for me when I was a kid. I'm sorry to hear you lost your mom; I can't imagine how hard that is.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #43
thr33boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badamon View Post
I would never be able to contain a secret like that! I get too excited about going and love talking about our upcoming trip. Always wanted to surprise the kids on the day of the trip, but never made it!
What ever you decide to do you are guaranteed a great family memory!
We did our first trip last year and kept it a secret longer than we had planned. It turned out we missed the airport cut-off - not our home airport and by the time we made it to the gate, the plane was 1/2 boarded and we never did get an opportunity to do the reveal. This time, we're not going to let that happen but we haven't thought yet how to do it this time.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #44
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
If you don't make big plans anymore, I would SO surprise them with the AKL trip when you get there! Maybe take them to AKL and have them go out to see the animals and then say you have to go to the bathroom - go in and check in, then come back out with room keys. Oh man, I can think of a hundred ways to do it!

Yes, they'll be confused why you want to go there first before even checking in to your hotel, but most likely they'll just kind of go along with it. And if they protest and say that they want to go straight to the hotel, you can tell them that you are.
That's an awesome idea. If you have more please feel free to share them.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #45
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
So sorry you lost your mom to breast cancer. My mom is a breast cancer survivor. She had it in the early 70's so I'm blessed to have been able to grow up having a mom.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: