Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Sydneykatesmama
Earning My Ears

Question Value vs moderate resort- how to decide ???

We're thinking of a May 2014 WDW trip. I'm torn between a value or moderate resort. I've stayed at All Star Music but it was in 1998. It will be 2 adults and 1 child and we plan on getting the dining plan.

Can anyone help a total newbie with how to decide between a value and moderate resort ? If we did moderate, I think we'd go with Port Orleans- Riverside.
Sydneykatesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Well by the looks of it you are going to save 25 or 30% off a room at POR for may, and maybe only 15% off values. That's if a couple of the PINs that came out become General Public offers. There MIGHT be free dining, but I am not sure.

I would price out rack rates for both, and then add in a 25 or 30% discount. and a 15 or 20 and look at prices. Likewise if free dining is available, compare the savings between a QSDP (which will come with the Value) and a full DP (which will come with a Moderate) ... And see what works best.

They might be pretty comparable in price, or separated by a couple hundred dollars. Then you have to consider how valuable a couple hundred dollars are.
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Sydneykatesmama
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your reply !

Where do you see a 25-30% off discount for POR in May ? Also I'm completely new at all of this, so I'm not sure of Disney lingo yet.

QSDP and MDP - I assume these are quick service and moderate dining plans. Can you only get the quick service plan for values ?

Also when you say a couple hundred dollars, do you mean per night or over the course of the trip ?

I apologize for all the questions. I am definitely going to browse through this awesome website thoroughly tonight
Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneykatesmama View Post
Thanks for your reply !

Where do you see a 25-30% off discount for POR in May ? Also I'm completely new at all of this, so I'm not sure of Disney lingo yet.

QSDP and MDP - I assume these are quick service and moderate dining plans. Can you only get the quick service plan for values ?

Also when you say a couple hundred dollars, do you mean per night or over the course of the trip ?

I apologize for all the questions. I am definitely going to browse through this awesome website thoroughly tonight
That special hasn't been released just yet, but that is probably what it is going to be, you can get any both dining plans at the MOD and Value resorts. I am a firm believer in the dining plan, DH and I are steak and seafood lovers so we save a lot of money by getting the plan. Plus it is great not to have to worry about paying for most of the food while on vacation, its taken care of ahead of time.

Back to you Mod or Value resort, both are fun, Mod has pools with slides. Most mods have queen beds where the values had doubles.
Riverside has the boat to DTD, thats always a plus.

Have fun!

Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for your reply !

Not Shaden but I may be of help. First off, welcome to the Disboards! You'll soon find that the boards can provide a wealth of information.

Let's start with the differences between the values and the moderates: 1) The rooms at the moderates are larger than the value resorts; 2) The moderate resort rooms have a coffee maker whereas the values do not; 3) There are no slides in the main pools at the value resorts and, at the moderates, there are slides; 4) The moderate resorts also have quiet pools; 5) As you may remember, the value resorts have one bus line for each park. At the moderate resorts, there are bus stops throughout the resort and they are covered; 6) At the value resorts, there are food courts only. At the moderate resorts, with the exception of Port Orleans French Quarter, there are food courts and a table service restaurant. French Quarter has a food court but no table service restaurant; 7) The beds at the value resorts are all double size beds. The moderates have (in the case of Caribbean Beach, they will be getting starting in April, 2014) queen size beds.

I think that I have listed all of the differences in the two resort categories. If I missed something, I am sure that others will chime in.

Right now, there are no general public special offers that go through May, 2014. There are, however, pin codes (offers which are sent randomly to potential guests) that include May dates. The May, 2014 pin codes that have been sent out so far are % off the different levels of resorts. Our travel dates are May 24th to June 7th and I was able to get 30% off our rooms for some of our dates. I saved almost $400 on my total by having Disney Travel apply the pin code to our reservation.

For our May, 2013 trip, there was a special offer for a % off the rooms and a slight ticket discount and I was able to save approximately $630 on my total vacation.

Sometimes, a special offer similar to pin codes are released to the general public. IF, and I say IF because no one knows for sure, there is a special offer that includes May dates, someone here on the Disboards will post what they know. Also, keep your eyes on the Special Offer page on the Disney World site.

I have only been able to take advantage of free dining once in May and that was a couple of years ago. I haven't seen it since for our travel dates.

Usually, the percentages off will be lower at the values, step up a little for the moderates and then step up a little higher for the deluxe and deluxe villa resorts. There are a few exceptions for example Port Orleans French Quarter usually has a lower % off. The Little Mermaid rooms at Art of Animation have yet to be included in any offer.

If free dining is offered, historically, the value resorts will get the quick service dining plan and the moderates and deluxe resorts will get the "regular" dining plan.

To get more detailed information on the different dining plans, I suggest that you check out the info on allearsnet. Here's the link: http://allears.net/pl/packages.htm

There's no need to apologize for asking questions. That's what the Disboards are for. I wish that I had the Disboards to turn to way back when we were planning for our first trip to Disney in 1998. 19 trips later and we are still hooked on it.

I hope that I was able to help answer some of your questions.

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 10-14-2013 at 01:16 PM.
mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Shaden
DIS Veteran

As usual, MTT just did a great job of explaining things.

Very sorry I didn't see that you are relatively new here with only a couple posts, otherwise I would have welcomed you as well, and been a little more detailed in my explanation.

You will find people here use a lot of acronyms and assume a general level of knowledge, mostly because these boards suck you in and you get absorbed in the language and learn so very very much.

So yes, Welcome to the Boards, and Mickeystoontown is dead on correct !
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Sydneykatesmama
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for your helpful response !

How would I go about getting a PIN code ? If we could save 30%, we would definitely chose POR.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks so much for your helpful response !

How would I go about getting a PIN code ? If we could save 30%, we would definitely chose POR.
PINs are randomly sent out, well, not randomly per se. I am sure Disney has some program that decides who to send a PIN to, but we don't know what it is or how it works

But you need to go on the Disney website and create an account, and register your email and address in order for them to offer you a PIN. That much we do know

However, chances are pretty good that you will be able to save 30% May 2014 ... at the very least I would say 25%. I'd be willing to bet a good deal of money on that.

May is a great time to go, discounts are high, crowds are low (they get heavier toward the end of the month, but still very manageable), and the weather is awesome !!!

Last year the General public offer for May was release on Jan 3rd, and a few days earlier for people with a Disney Visa.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Sydneykatesmama
Earning My Ears

Fabulous, thanks !

I will definitely register on the Disney site.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: