Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Fivesacharm
Mouseketeer

Generally Negative Opinion of DDP?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that a majority of people on the boards seem to think that the DDP is just not worth the money. This interests me because (though we've been the the World many times) my family did the dinning plan for the first time on our last trip and we definitely felt like we saved money! We loved paying for everything in advance and having the freedom of eating what we wanted wherever we wanted without worrying about a budgeted amount per person.

We will always do the DDP in the future!

Just interested I other people always think they save money and those who don't like it, why?

Fivesacharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
SGMCO
Vintage Style is Sweet--Rumbleseat Fashions

I love the DP but have gotten it for free the last 3 trips. I'm looking to get FD again this coming trip. I love doing TS meals and trying new restaurants. I think if I had to pay oop for these meals, it would cost more than what the DP cost, I've seen the totals before. If you're just comparing DP to oop, I don't like to have to be careful about what I can order to save money, I like the freedom to choose anything on the menu. We've Paid oop on our 1st Disney trip and it was expensive, mostly CS (get tired of those quick) and 1 TS for the whole trip.
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

I started a thread over on the restaurant board using this example:

AK $55.39
Late Tusker House Character breakfast, jalapeno pretzel, soup and sand at Earl of Sandwich, make-my-own chocolate waffle bowl two-scoop sundae at Ghiradelli

MK $56.50
Nutella waffle sandwich, Crystal Palace Character lunch, soup and chilli at Columbia Harbour, corn dog nuggets snack at Casey's

HS $56.20
Early Cape May Character breakfast, antipasta salad and cupcake at Pizza Planet, pretzel dog/chips at Min & Bill's, frozen lemonade and popcorn at Fantasmic!

EP $60.48
Croissant Berry Pudding at Sunshine Seasons, Biergarten Buffet lunch, pizza and zeppole at Via Napoli

Except for the AK day, I have 3 meals a day, extra snacks, snacks and sides that aren't covered by the DDP AND an extra TS meal for less than the DDP would cost.

For ADULTS, you have to want soda and dessert at EVERY meal and order the more expensive entrees and do buffet dinners to make the plan work. If you have children, the plan begins to make much better financial sense.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Fivesacharm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
If you have children, the plan begins to make much better financial sense.
Children may definitely be the key here.

Fivesacharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
mrsclark
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivesacharm View Post

Children may definitely be the key here.
I would probably agree - DH and I don't have kids and we don't eat enough to justify the cost of the DP. For us it is also a hassle to try to get the best deal out of it - for example, figuring out when we should pay OOP for something versus using a snack credit. If you use all your credits up at the beginning of your trip then you may end up paying OOP later for a lot but if you try to hoard your credits in order to try to spend them getting the maximum possible value out of them you may end up not needing them and then using them just so you don't feel like you wasted your money.

I once overheard at family at the BC Marketplace in a very heated four-way argument about paying OOP versus using a snack credit for one item and paying OOP for a second or just using a QS credit. For me, I don't want to spend my vacation trying to extract as much value as possible from the DP instead I would rather just pay OOP as I go and not have to make a calculation every time I want to eat or drink something.

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!
mrsclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
3Gsandme
DIS Veteran

I priced the plan a million ways to Sunday, but the only way it makes financial sense is for us to get it as a discount. We got it for 5 of us during the s/p/d promo for $800 for our trip (7 days). At that point, yes. It saves us money but otherwise it doesn't. At 22.86/person a day, we really make out, but otherwise, we don't. Even taking into account our two that are under 10 AND taking into account character meals an buffets. It doesn't even out overall.

And, that's from someone who feels our family will eat the way the dining plan is set up (a good breakfast, snack and big dinner)

My November 2015 PTR-Heigh Ho Ho HO!
3Gsandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
3Gsandme
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
I would probably agree - DH and I don't have kids and we don't eat enough to justify the cost of the DP. For us it is also a hassle to try to get the best deal out of it - for example, figuring out when we should pay OOP for something versus using a snack credit. If you use all your credits up at the beginning of your trip then you may end up paying OOP later for a lot but if you try to hoard your credits in order to try to spend them getting the maximum possible value out of them you may end up not needing them and then using them just so you don't feel like you wasted your money. I once overheard at family at the BC Marketplace in a very heated four-way argument about paying OOP versus using a snack credit for one item and paying OOP for a second or just using a QS credit. For me, I don't want to spend my vacation trying to extract as much value as possible from the DP instead I would rather just pay OOP as I go and not have to make a calculation every time I want to eat or drink something.
Another thing I've been doing is trying to one up with a snack plan go best optimize things. Where are the bulkier snacks that will allow us to buy three snacks and two drinks to feed the five of us? I want things planned in advance because I don't want to be that family arguing.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=3Gsandme;49804998]I priced the plan a million ways to Sunday, but the only way it makes financial sense is for us to get it as a discount. We got it for 5 of us during the s/p/d promo for $800 for our trip (7 days). At that point, yes. It saves us money but otherwise it doesn't. At 22.86/person a day, we really make out, but otherwise, we don't. Even taking into account our two that are under 10 AND taking into account character meals an buffets. It doesn't even out overall.

And, that's from someone who feels our family will eat the way the dining plan is set up (a good breakfast, snack and big dinner)[/QUOTE]

Actually, if that's how you're pricing it, it's no wonder it doesn't work for you. The plan isn't set up for breakfast, snack, dinner. It's set up for bring your own breakfast from home or pay OOP, QS lunch, snack and big dinner. If you use your QS for breakfast, you lose the dessert portion of the plan since all you get is your entrée and drink.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

DBF & I have done the DDP twice and absolutely love it. It would have cost more to pay out of pocket for what we ate. Would we have bought dessert with every meal if we weren't on the DDP... yes! We eat, eat, eat when we go on vacation

May 2011 - Pop Century August/September 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside October 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter November 2015 - Art of Animation

Meetmeinmontauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
3Gsandme
DIS Veteran

Well, we'd still eat as the plan is laid out. There isn't a way, that I priced, that dining plan works for us if we don't get a discount. TBH, we don't really eat dessert as a general rule and only order it out on occasion. Maybe a few times a year. Adding in the dessert doesn't increase it's value, for our family, because it's including something we'd not normally buy. It artificially increases it's value. If I don't order dessert (I don't) getting dessert isn't a plus.

For me, even if I pretend I order dessert, the savings isn't worth the lack of flexibility.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivesacharm View Post
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that a majority of people on the boards seem to think that the DDP is just not worth the money. This interests me because (though we've been the the World many times) my family did the dinning plan for the first time on our last trip and we definitely felt like we saved money! We loved paying for everything in advance and having the freedom of eating what we wanted wherever we wanted without worrying about a budgeted amount per person.

We will always do the DDP in the future!

Just interested I other people always think they save money and those who don't like it, why?
The plan is bad news and Disney preys upon the uneducated with it (particularly free dining). Nobody will come out ahead with it. The cost models always factor in nonsense that wouldn't apply to 99% of the people - desserts at CS places for example. And gratuities never factor in; you're going to pay a lot more in tips while on the plan because to maximize the value of it the majority of folks will purchase the most expensive menu items.
If you want to do it for the convenience, dump that money on a gift card before you leave for vaca and use that for your food.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
ericstac
DIS Veteran

We have free dining so we upgraded to the deluxe because we love food... Like really love food and I eat correctly all year long and really enjoy myself during vacations..

So we paid to upgrade to deluxe, then set all of our ressies and after we were done we still had a ton of credits left over. Did the math on us eating the most expensive items and I still saved a thousand by canceling the upgrade and just paying out of pocket for any meal over standard the standard dining plan..

And like others have said, we have four adults (ds13, ds10, ds5) one child and there is no way we would eat 4 appetizers, 4 meals, 4 desserts 3x a day.lol..plus snacks.

We would eat most likely two apps max, our meals and dessert is usually snacks and treats around the park that we love that if we were forced to eat desserts we would miss.

So DDP is gone now, we will still eat however we feel like eating but we are not forced to eat stuff and we can enjoy whatever we want.
2013 - Beach Club/Polynesian - Christmas
2014 - (May) Port Orleans Riverside
2014 - (July) Port Orleans French Quarter
2014 - (Dec) Port Orleans Riverside

EJ's Disney Pinterest Board

EJ's 2014 VLOG has Begun
ericstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

We have always used the DDP, and until the last trip always felt that it was a value for us. WE did get it for free on the last trip, and because my DGD is a Disney adult, the savings were substantial enough to use it as our "savings" but honestly, if I had paid for it, I would be suffering serious buyers remorse. I will say that our choices would have covered the cost of the plan, but in order to ensure that, I would have to work at it. If I have to work to cover the cost of something, it just is not worth it to me.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
Melanie B
DIS Veteran

This trip will be our 3rd time using the deluxe plan. It allows us to eat whatever we want. We do enjoy signatures so overall it's a good value for us. We don't eat like that every day at home but since we're on vacation we like to splurge a little. We always found that what we ordered always cost more at the end of the day then what we paid for the DXDP.

Feb 2015 Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 2013 All Star Music
July 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Aug 2010 Caribbean Beach
Melanie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
Alesia
DIS Veteran

We were there for 9 days in 2009. We ate what we wanted when we wanted and spent $600 less than we would have on the DDP. That's just a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: