Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #811
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntconn View Post
Yep. Same here. We are Poly peeps through and through but we will be at the WL this August. Won't be back to the Poly until all of the construction is finished. It really is exciting following all of the changes coming to our favorite resort though.
ITA It sounds like at times it's going to be a bit of a grind though (with construction going on at multiple locations) but I have to be optimistic that it will be great in the end! Now if I could just figure out a way to afford that Poly DVC!

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #812
goofy Jr. 88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
I have to be optimistic that it will be great in the end! Now if I could just figure out a way to afford that Poly DVC!
true that

goofy Jr. 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #813
Disneyducks
Earning My Ears

Hi all we are planning on poly for upcoming nov vacation. We have a toddler who will be taking a nap during the day ( not the only one i am sure) and we have grandparents that one requires a scooter but can walk short distances. We requested a third floor as well as joining rooms if possible. Any suggestions for what building we should request? Thanks!!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #814
jennifaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney84 View Post
Wow, thank you for the heads up!! Do you have any pictures from the balcony showing the fencing and construction?? I may think about requesting another bldg. Hmmmm.

PS: Did you request that room or did you get it by potluck? Just curious.
I haven't uploaded the pictures to my website yet, but to get them up ASAP for you to look at, I made them public on my Google+ account. Try this. If it doesn't work, I could email them to you.

I called and faxed, explaining that it was our five-year wedding anniversary, and we spent our honeymoon in Tokelau and wanted to again. I also asked if we could have a view of the construction. We had a standard view booked, and we got 3914! We felt like we won the lottery.
jennifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #815
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifaerie View Post
I haven't uploaded the pictures to my website yet, but to get them up ASAP for you to look at, I made them public on my Google+ account. Try this. If it doesn't work, I could email them to you.

I called and faxed, explaining that it was our five-year wedding anniversary, and we spent our honeymoon in Tokelau and wanted to again. I also asked if we could have a view of the construction. We had a standard view booked, and we got 3914! We felt like we won the lottery.
GREAT pictures. Doesnt look like the construction is too bad yet. What a beautiful view even with the fences. I am so glad that you got what you wanted for your special day. Did they do anything else to make it even more special? Sometimes they do.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #816
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyducks View Post
Hi all we are planning on poly for upcoming nov vacation. We have a toddler who will be taking a nap during the day ( not the only one i am sure) and we have grandparents that one requires a scooter but can walk short distances. We requested a third floor as well as joining rooms if possible. Any suggestions for what building we should request? Thanks!!
Depending on how far they are in the construction the west side of Tokelau is nice. Nuei is nice. On the other side of the resort Fiji is nice. If you want the chance for a monorail view something a little one may love and it's pretty quiet when it goes by then Areotoa or Raratoga are nice. One side is garden view I believe pretty much and the other side is facing the front of the resort with a possible glimpse of the parking lot but a monorail view on the upper floors. Just please watch the balcony with the little one. Hope that helps a little. Oh and the entire resort is scooter friendly. I use a wheelchair and I have no problems whatsoever getting around there. It is one of the more friendly scooter/wheelchair resorts I have found. Went to POP last week and thought I would shake my kidneys out with all the cobblestone. My youngest (15) cracked me up when he said " Mom doesn't your wheelchair have shocks????" After I stopped laughing I said "No honey it doesn't"

Last edited by karriealex; 10-12-2013 at 01:42 AM.
karriealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #817
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
ITA It sounds like at times it's going to be a bit of a grind though (with construction going on at multiple locations) but I have to be optimistic that it will be great in the end! Now if I could just figure out a way to afford that Poly DVC!
Very true. The way we vacation the amount of points we would nead was astronomical and way out of our price league. I am thinking about possibly looking at a resale though. We figured we would need at least 300 points and through resale it is MUCH less than going through DVC itself. Have to figure out their financing policies though. Just a thought for you.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #818
jennifaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
GREAT pictures. Doesnt look like the construction is too bad yet. What a beautiful view even with the fences. I am so glad that you got what you wanted for your special day. Did they do anything else to make it even more special? Sometimes they do.
It's hard to tell because the Polynesian did wonderful things for us both times. So is it their standard or was it because we were celebrating?

But we received special, fresh handmade leis and a blessing (we didn't get those on our honeymoon), congratulatory pictures from Mickey a couple times, towel animals galore. The leis were the icing, though. We have them in our freezer now.

I think the view, though, really did it for us. We were never expecting that!

What was even more amazing is what happened at check-in, or I should say afterward. We went to get our refillable mugs before we went to the room (it was actually ready before noon!), and as we were walking to the longhouse, the cast member who checked us in was chasing after us. She was concerned that our MagicBands might not be working right (they worked with the mugs, but she thought they might not work in the parks), and she brought us back to the check-in desk to reset them.

The fact that she raced all over property to find us (she was coming from Tokelau as we were walking there) meant a lot to us. I'm not sure if the MagicBands needed it (and she wasn't 100% sure either), but she wanted to prevent us from having a rude awakening elsewhere, and that was very sweet.

I already wrote a long letter (and filled out the survey from) to Disney. We had a few cast members that really made it special.

Edit: Ack! Those pictures look terrible on a laptop! I wish Google hadn't spread to fit. They look a LOT better when they're normal size or on a mobile device. If you squint a lot, they look okay.
jennifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #819
Disneyducks
Earning My Ears

k

Last edited by Disneyducks; 10-12-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Disneyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #820
Disneyducks
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
Depending on how far they are in the construction the west side of Tokelau is nice. Nuei is nice. On the other side of the resort Fiji is nice. If you want the chance for a monorail view something a little one may love and it's pretty quiet when it goes by then Areotoa or Raratoga are nice. One side is garden view I believe pretty much and the other side is facing the front of the resort with a possible glimpse of the parking lot but a monorail view on the upper floors. Just please watch the balcony with the little one. Hope that helps a little. Oh and the entire resort is scooter friendly. I use a wheelchair and I have no problems whatsoever getting around there. It is one of the more friendly scooter/wheelchair resorts I have found. Went to POP last week and thought I would shake my kidneys out with all the cobblestone. My youngest (15) cracked me up when he said " Mom doesn't your wheelchair have shocks????" After I stopped laughing I said "No honey it doesn't"
SOrry I keep forgetting to quote - thank you so much for the reservation advice all these choices are so confusion!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #821
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

I know it's all speculation, but does anybody have a "best guess" for construction at the end of July 2014?

Debating between GF and Poly.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #822
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
I know it's all speculation, but does anybody have a "best guess" for construction at the end of July 2014?

Debating between GF and Poly.
We wanted Poly for August 2014. DVC construction would have been tolerable. But the GCH and pool being out of commission is a deal-breaker.

Word is that people who are booked for Poly from April - August are getting notices that the pool will be out of commission, so they will be "shuttled" to GF.

Deal breaker. For July 2014, you might want to stick with GF. Just my $.02.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #823
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
We wanted Poly for August 2014. DVC construction would have been tolerable. But the GCH and pool being out of commission is a deal-breaker.

Word is that people who are booked for Poly from April - August are getting notices that the pool will be out of commission, so they will be "shuttled" to GF.

Deal breaker. For July 2014, you might want to stick with GF. Just my $.02.
Deal breaker for me too - thanks mousemommy1!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #824
bama belle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
We wanted Poly for August 2014. DVC construction would have been tolerable. But the GCH and pool being out of commission is a deal-breaker. Word is that people who are booked for Poly from April - August are getting notices that the pool will be out of commission, so they will be "shuttled" to GF. Deal breaker. For July 2014, you might want to stick with GF. Just my $.02.
Trying to decide if this is a deal breaker for us too! This will be my nieces' first trip and my mom and sister's first trip in many years. We will have five kids ages 12,10,8,7, and 4, so swimming will be important- but ease of transportation is also important, which is why I don't want to give up the Poly so fast. My kids do NOT want to stay at the GF- they say it feels too stuffy and elegant- so I'm trying to look at the bright side and think of getting to try their pool as a positive!

Am I correct that this would just be a 5-10 minute shuttle boat ride over to the GF pool? I was also interested in renting a cabana for our trip one day and was wondering if I could rent one at the GF?? We need to book soon- our trip is late May/early June of next year- so we are trying to make this hard decision.

bama belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #825
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama belle View Post
Trying to decide if this is a deal breaker for us too! This will be my nieces' first trip and my mom and sister's first trip in many years. We will have five kids ages 12,10,8,7, and 4, so swimming will be important- but ease of transportation is also important, which is why I don't want to give up the Poly so fast. My kids do NOT want to stay at the GF- they say it feels too stuffy and elegant- so I'm trying to look at the bright side and think of getting to try their pool as a positive!

Am I correct that this would just be a 5-10 minute shuttle boat ride over to the GF pool? I was also interested in renting a cabana for our trip one day and was wondering if I could rent one at the GF?? We need to book soon- our trip is late May/early June of next year- so we are trying to make this hard decision.
For transportation ease have you thought of CR or one of the EPCOT resorts?

Waiting for the boat (even though it's only a 5 minute or so ride), and then having to pack everything up (not like the ease of running back to the room if we forgot something) and then packing up, waiting for the boat all over again to go back to the room sounds likes too much trouble for me - and you have a large group. I would seriously think about switching - but that's me.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: