Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
kmb584
DIS Veteran

I would surprise them!

The trip itself isn't a surprise as your family already knows about it, but they also "know" that you're staying in a moderate. I think an upgrade to a deluxe is a surprise well worth keeping! I know I'd be doing a little dance if I were in those shoes!

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
loughmann
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDisneyBoy View Post
Taking the family to WDW the first week of December. We have been about 10 times. We have gone from staying offsite, to the values, then to the moderates. The family thinks we are staying at CBR this trip but I have AKL booked. Question is should I surprise them when we get there or tell them now? For me, the anticipation of the trip is a huge part of the fun. What would you do?
I'm doing the same thing with my fiancé he thinks were staying at pop for our honeymoon and I booked AKL. Surprise them!!!
loughmann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I would surprise!! I did this to my adult daughter in August. We were doing a split stay, and at first I booked POFQ and YC. Then I changed to GF & YC, but let my daughter think we were still going to POFQ.
When we arrived I told her we were going to GF for breakfast. When she found out we were staying she was beyond excited.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #19
Collette
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
I would tell them and let them have the fun of anticipation. Then your family can talk about the AKL and plan together. Sometimes I think that surprising teens and especially spouses takes away a lot of their fun. They would like the chance to talk about the trip with their friends, too. They are going to be excited to find out they are going to stay at the AKL, so what difference does it makes if they express their joy a few weeks before they get there?
This is what I think, too.

Good luck with your decision!!
Collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #20
MermaidMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
I would tell them and let them have the fun of anticipation. Then your family can talk about the AKL and plan together. Sometimes I think that surprising teens and especially spouses takes away a lot of their fun. They would like the chance to talk about the trip with their friends, too. They are going to be excited to find out they are going to stay at the AKL, so what difference does it makes if they express their joy a few weeks before they get there?
I agree with this, too. Our trips are just DD13 and me (DH is not a Disney fan ), and she's very involved in planning. We were originally staying at AoA only, but I also booked GF and YC as a surprise. I even had planned out how I was going to surprise her when we got there. However, she told me flat-out before the trip that if we were staying anywhere "cool" that she would like to know before the trip. So, I told her. I still got a great reaction -- lots of screaming -- and, as she later told me, it was better to know before the trip because she could be excited about the hotels for several months, rather than just the few days we stayed there. I asked her after the trip if she still thought it was better that she knew beforehand, and she emphatically said yes.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
KimmiP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't think I could make it to June without telling. LOL
Omg, it's killing me lol

Been to the world too many times to count
KimmiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
dovbniak
Mouseketeer

Easy answer: Surprise them somehow

On our first trip to WDW our whole family knew we were going but what I did as a surprise was book an extra 2 days.

It was killing me, especially as our vacation was ending. Sad faces all around until the night before we were to leave I sprung it on them.

Best surprise ever!
dovbniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My oldest DD16 has always wanted to stay at the AKL and DD14 also wants to stay there. They are content staying wherever we stay though, they are just happy to be at WDW. I don't know how many more trips we will make as they are getting older.
Exactly! How many family of 4 trips do you have left?

You know your kids best so trust your judgement. Sometimes I just wait until they the getting excited and want to talk about the next upcoming trip and when they are in the mood I tell the surprises.

I couldn't keep a secret for dd17 bday. For last night of mom n me trip I booked us for GF CL. When she texted me from school one day "mom only 20 days" I texted back "YOLO, you have been upgraded for one night to GF in sugar loaf!"

She was happy and we had a great time too.

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the all of the replies. I think I'm going to wait until we pull up at AKL to tell them. I will have to come up with some kind of excuse as to why we are going to AKL though. Maybe they won't notice that I'm not going to CBR until we get to AKL.
BamaDisneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
ponyboy
Gun slingin DW lover

I wouldn't tell them. I surprise my wife and kids all of the time with stuff. Last time we didn't tell the kids we were even going until the day before we left. The time before that they didn't know until we were getting on the plane for Florida, they thought we were flying to San Antonio again.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

The surprise of a resort is not the same as the surprise of a trip.

If you surprise someone with a trip, they might miss out on all the planning and excitement of looking forward to the parks and the rides and the ADRs, etc. But surprising someone with a resort is completely different - it's not like you're going to be planning your day of going to look at the animals or walking to the gift shop or stopping at the front desk (like you would plan on going to SM, or PP, or HM).

I surprised my mom with a stay at CR. We did the first night at Pop and then I tricked her into leaving with all her stuff, got her in a taxi, and took her to CR. It was the best surprise ever, and she loved it.

I think your kids would be stoked, not to mention your wife, if you took a "wrong turn" and pulled in to AKL instead! Heck, I fantasize about arriving at WDW and them having switched me to a deluxe resort. They'll have an amazing surprise to talk about to everyone once they get home - I know my mom sure told EVERYONE about our move to the CR!

Edited to add: I DID mention CR to mom several times before the trip. I'd mention it when we talked about Disney. Maybe you could talk with your family about "maybe" going over to see the animals at AKL the first day, and then once you're there, take your stuff in too. When they ask why, say "oh, I just decided we'd stay here instead of just visiting!"
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #27
Sydney2977
Mouseketeer

We are doing almost the exact same thing- except the first week of Nov!
We stayed at the four values, then did CSR two trips, and now are surprising the boys with AKL. We surprised them with an overall trip one year- told them on Christmas and left the next week. They had awesome reactions. We surprised them the first time we stayed at CSR- they were like "No way- we're staying here?!?" We've eaten at Boma a few times, so I know they love the resort, and since they're older (13&17) they'll really appreciate the whole experience. That's why we decided to surprise them. They think we're staying at CSR and are really excited about that. We're thinking the same way you are- not many more family trips and we want it to be special.

All-Star Music April 2002All-Star Movies September 2003Pop!Century February 2006All-Star Sports January 2007

Coronado Springs October 2010Coronado Springs November 2011Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2013
Sydney2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #28
Babsy
DIS Veteran

I would actually be angry if someone changed my resort without telling me. The anticipation of the trip and planning are at least half the value of a vacation for us. i would feel unhappy to lose all the time looking forward to staying in the AKL. Plus, I plan activities at the resort. I would have things booked that would need cancelling at the original resort and I would have wanted to book things to do at the new resort. Finally, the theme parks that I plan to visit and when I plan to go to them is closely linked to where I am staying. Therefore, ADR's would be affected.

Personally, I would tell them. Just my opinion, of course.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #29
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsy View Post
I would actually be angry if someone changed my resort without telling me. The anticipation of the trip and planning are at least half the value of a vacation for us. i would feel unhappy to lose all the time looking forward to staying in the AKL. Plus, I plan activities at the resort. I would have things booked that would need cancelling at the original resort and I would have wanted to book things to do at the new resort. Finally, the theme parks that I plan to visit and when I plan to go to them is closely linked to where I am staying. Therefore, ADR's would be affected.

Personally, I would tell them. Just my opinion, of course.
Luckily I do all of the planning so I don't have to worry about that aspect of it. I let everyone decide what parks we are going to each day and I take it from there. We are usually on a pretty flexible schedule.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
I tricked her into leaving with all her stuff, got her in a taxi, and took her to CR. It was the best surprise ever, and she loved it.
How in the world did you do that?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: