Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #916
eaf2063
Earning My Ears

7 Days to go. i dont know how much more i can take this waiting........ Getting butterflies.... Keeping this a secret from the kiddies is getting harder by the day.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #917
emilyhuff
Mouseketeer

weather

So how is the weather down in FL?! I check accuweather about 10 times a day (yep im pretty excited) but id love some first hand insight! Is it rainy/cloudy/hot/humid? Anyone?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #918
pxedst21
Earning My Ears

I was digging around through the posts trying to find where one could send a letter about conditions/complaints and just happened to check back into this thread (I was watching it religiously leading up to our check in); and after reading a few posts about the conditions on some of the rooms thought I would just share ours FWIW. First off, we love POR---it's usually our moderate of choice since our first time there in 1996 (when it was Dixie Landings). We've never been disappointed staying there---which may be why this last trip is leaving such a bad memory for us.
Started off with some pixie dust---they had upgraded us to preferred--a first for us even though we've stayed on property probably 15 times--so we were really excited. Until we made the 10 minute trek with kids and suitcases---because the parking lot was so far away from the room (we were in AB 27). But we figured hey, it's just one trek there and one back loaded down so it really wasn't that big a deal. Refrigerator--wasn't expecting one because we knew the situation, and when it was the old one, wasn't going to ask for a refund--figured they moved us up so I wasn't going to complain. We were close to the front so we could walk for drinks and things we would have normally kept in it.
Main issue we had was the cleanliness of the room. It definitely had a musty smell to it. Never even thought about mold/mildew issues until an early post someone mentioned they could smell it---in the same section of rooms we were in. So it's very likely that could have been the root of our issues. Dust was so thick on the wood cabinet around the refrigerator and the shelves in the bathroom--a few days in I went and bought baby wipes to clean them because I couldn't take it anymore. The first night DS spilled some chips on the ground by the bed. We cleaned up as much as we could then figured housekeeping would vacuum the rest....wrong. They were still there when we checked out 8 days later. By the middle of the week youngest DS came down with a stomach bug, which ended up going around to all of us before we left. DD and DH both started with cold/sinus infection at the same time. And yes I get that we are at Disney---so germs are probably everywhere. But we were with 4 other family groups who all stayed at different Disney hotels----and none of them came down with anything....and we were together from early morning until late evening when we would separate for the hotels. If it was something one of them picked up in the park then someone else in the group would have gotten something. And I would totally get it if we had sickly kids---but I could count on one hand the number of times they have been to the doctor for something other than well check ups. And as many times as we've been to Disney, we've never gotten sick there. We timed housekeeping one day---hubby had stayed in the room while I took kids to the park and when I came back after lunch, he walked up to help me get them off the bus. Housekeeping walked in to our room when we were walking up so we went and sat on a bench to relax/wait. To say she was in there 10 minutes is probably an overstatement. I think the icing on the cake came when we were packing up to leave. I saw a pair of balled up men's athletic socks on the ground and tossed them to DH thinking he had just dropped them on the floor(they were clearly visible under the bathroom sink)----only to have him drop them like a hot potato because they weren't his. So just FYI---pack some Lysol, Clorox wipes, whatever you can to kill the germs because the cleanliness we saw was no where near what it usually is at Disney hotels.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #919
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyhuff View Post
So how is the weather down in FL?! I check accuweather about 10 times a day (yep im pretty excited) but id love some first hand insight! Is it rainy/cloudy/hot/humid? Anyone?
Check the local tv station websites for accuracy. Cuz it was HOT today but breezy here on the coast. The websites are: www.wesh.com, www.wftv.com or www.local6.com.

Have a great trip.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #920
peainapod
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxedst21 View Post
I was digging around through the posts trying to find where one could send a letter about conditions/complaints and just happened to check back into this thread (I was watching it religiously leading up to our check in); and after reading a few posts about the conditions on some of the rooms thought I would just share ours FWIW. First off, we love POR---it's usually our moderate of choice since our first time there in 1996 (when it was Dixie Landings). We've never been disappointed staying there---which may be why this last trip is leaving such a bad memory for us.
Started off with some pixie dust---they had upgraded us to preferred--a first for us even though we've stayed on property probably 15 times--so we were really excited. Until we made the 10 minute trek with kids and suitcases---because the parking lot was so far away from the room (we were in AB 27). But we figured hey, it's just one trek there and one back loaded down so it really wasn't that big a deal. Refrigerator--wasn't expecting one because we knew the situation, and when it was the old one, wasn't going to ask for a refund--figured they moved us up so I wasn't going to complain. We were close to the front so we could walk for drinks and things we would have normally kept in it.
Main issue we had was the cleanliness of the room. It definitely had a musty smell to it. Never even thought about mold/mildew issues until an early post someone mentioned they could smell it---in the same section of rooms we were in. So it's very likely that could have been the root of our issues. Dust was so thick on the wood cabinet around the refrigerator and the shelves in the bathroom--a few days in I went and bought baby wipes to clean them because I couldn't take it anymore. The first night DS spilled some chips on the ground by the bed. We cleaned up as much as we could then figured housekeeping would vacuum the rest....wrong. They were still there when we checked out 8 days later. By the middle of the week youngest DS came down with a stomach bug, which ended up going around to all of us before we left. DD and DH both started with cold/sinus infection at the same time. And yes I get that we are at Disney---so germs are probably everywhere. But we were with 4 other family groups who all stayed at different Disney hotels----and none of them came down with anything....and we were together from early morning until late evening when we would separate for the hotels. If it was something one of them picked up in the park then someone else in the group would have gotten something. And I would totally get it if we had sickly kids---but I could count on one hand the number of times they have been to the doctor for something other than well check ups. And as many times as we've been to Disney, we've never gotten sick there. We timed housekeeping one day---hubby had stayed in the room while I took kids to the park and when I came back after lunch, he walked up to help me get them off the bus. Housekeeping walked in to our room when we were walking up so we went and sat on a bench to relax/wait. To say she was in there 10 minutes is probably an overstatement. I think the icing on the cake came when we were packing up to leave. I saw a pair of balled up men's athletic socks on the ground and tossed them to DH thinking he had just dropped them on the floor(they were clearly visible under the bathroom sink)----only to have him drop them like a hot potato because they weren't his. So just FYI---pack some Lysol, Clorox wipes, whatever you can to kill the germs because the cleanliness we saw was no where near what it usually is at Disney hotels.

Yikes!I would have walked my fanny up to guest services and talked to a manager. Did you voice your concerns? I would have not just asked, but demanded a new room if it smelled like there could be mold. Cleanliness is not something I mess around with while on vacation!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #921
emsstacey
Earning My Ears

We have been here all week. Por is beautiful and the AB room is much cuter than I expected. Mouse keeping has been disappointing, though. I have had to ask twice to get enough wash clothes each day. They have left 3 and only one shampoo/conditioner every day. Definitely not enough for a family of 4. We have family here who had great service complete with towel animals but none for us. I requested a corner room but did not get it either.

This has been our first stay in the parks and we have had fun but definitely not magical. Riverside seems crowded. Long lines for food, buses and the hot tub was even overflowing with a wait Wednesday night.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #922
Katelly
Mouseketeer

We have reservations for the horse and carriage ride at POR and seeing a previous post made me think about tipping. Do you tip the horse carriage driver? I would think so, but how much? I think the ride is $45. So would $10 be ok for a tip?

Beach Club: December of 1991,1994,1997,1999 and 2002
Caribbean Beach: December 2004,February 2006
Pop Century: February 2006
POR: December 2013
POFQ: April 2014
Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #923
TooBoyz4us
Run! The Tag Fairies are everywhere!
Please stop licking your monitor. It's hard to clean the smudges off, and electrocution sounds painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainapod View Post
Yikes!I would have walked my fanny up to guest services and talked to a manager. Did you voice your concerns? I would have not just asked, but demanded a new room if it smelled like there could be mold. Cleanliness is not something I mess around with while on vacation!
I agree

We are checking-in in exactly 22 days. IF that were to happen to us, you can bet good money that I will be letting someone know.
I firmly believe that if you let management know, something will be done to make you happy.

9/1997 @ CBR...10/2002 @ CSR ...9/2004@WL...9/2009@ CSR......
11/2013 @ POR
Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #924
TooBoyz4us
Run! The Tag Fairies are everywhere!
Please stop licking your monitor. It's hard to clean the smudges off, and electrocution sounds painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelly View Post
We have reservations for the horse and carriage ride at POR and seeing a previous post made me think about tipping. Do you tip the horse carriage driver? I would think so, but how much? I think the ride is $45. So would $10 be ok for a tip?
I would think that would be a most excellent tip

9/1997 @ CBR...10/2002 @ CSR ...9/2004@WL...9/2009@ CSR......
11/2013 @ POR
Old 10-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #925
Katelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBoyz4us View Post
I would think that would be a most excellent tip
Ok, good! Thank you.

Beach Club: December of 1991,1994,1997,1999 and 2002
Caribbean Beach: December 2004,February 2006
Pop Century: February 2006
POR: December 2013
POFQ: April 2014
Old 10-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #926
twokiddos
Earning My Ears

Firstly, thank you to all of you for this thread and for answering my questions! It was so helpful.

We were at POR from Sept. 23-30th and had a fantastic time. Arrived at POR-Riverside. Pooring rain. The place is gorgeous, loved the resort. Check in was long. I had done the online check in previously, but they were having some trouble when we got there and could not locate our MagicBands. This seemed to take forever bc the kids were antsy and driving me a little batty. They finally decided to give us new bands which meant they didn't have our names inside, but who cares. Off we went to our room. No fridge, which I had been expecting, but was hoping for. I did get a $105 room credit, which I was pleased with. But you have to ask for it. I asked on our last evening, bc honestly, it really was inconvenient not having one. Our Royal room was gorgeous, the kids loved it. Such special touches and attention to detail. It was far out though, and it took 10 minutes to get to the main resort building/food court area and a lot longer with the kids. So this posed a problem I found. I'd ask for a room closest to one of the bridges which would make it much closer. But I'd go back to the resort for sure. The grounds were just beautiful, the main pool was amazing. We never ended up swimming in any of the quiet pools bc the kids like the water slide at the main pool.

Mousekeeping was good, no issues.

I found the food court busy at meal times but the service was good, food was great and there was a lot to choose from. The drink stations seem to get busy and I found that there were quite a few times that the drinks weren't working....the cup wasn't registering and signalling it to flow. That was annoying. But not a huge issue.

The buses were good. No real issues. My hb was annoyed bc there were a lot of stops/pick ups. This seemed to be a complaint of several people who had stayed at other resorts previously. We talked to a few different families who said that they had stayed at Pop Century and indicated that the service was better bc it was only the one resort they dealt with. The bus at POR makes several stops. I don't know any different, so I found no issue with it. The bus was always full. And when we were leaving the park, it was always the one with the most people and wait time. Honestly, it wasn't a huge deal but I heard a lot of complaining about it.

The grounds were impeccable. So beautiful. Hot tub was always full of kids which I thought was weird. But whatever. The pool was awesome. Both my hb and myself and both the kids loved it. To be honest, they would have been content to hang out there all day!

This was our first trip and we loved it. I can't wait to go back. I think I'd stay somewhere else, just to try it out.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #927
Li Li
Mouseketeer

Andre or Venom, would you classify AB 34 first floor as garden view?
Old 10-12-2013, 02:38 AM   #928
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Li View Post
Andre or Venom, would you classify AB 34 first floor as garden view?
It's not up to us to classify rooms but here's how Disney classifies that building (the map, at least, is mine though!):

So yes, mostly Garden View with a few Standard and King rooms.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #929
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxedst21 View Post
Main issue we had was the cleanliness of the room

[....]

So just FYI---pack some Lysol, Clorox wipes, whatever you can to kill the germs because the cleanliness we saw was no where near what it usually is at Disney hotels.
My goodness, none of that sounds very appealing! What did the Housekeeping manager (or maybe even a front-desk guest services manager?) say when you raised these worrying issues with them? If you want to escalate it further, you definitely need to mention who it was that you first discussed the problem with while you were at the resort.

Do you still need contact information by the way? (The general guest service contact email for WDW is wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com)

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #930
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Here now and couldn't be happier! We got most of our request s and even got the one rhing I was hoping for but didn't request! Only thig to complain about is that we don't have a fridge. But thanks to you guys we were prepared for that and it's alright.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: