Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Cruising out of Miami for the first time, help!

Hi there!
We are cruising out of Miami this December. We are staying in Orlando for a few days before, so we'll be driving down on the day of our cruise from Orlando. We will have a rental car through Budget. Does the Budget offer a port shuttle? What is the best way to get to the Fort Lauderdale Airport on the day we get in? We've always cruised out of Port Canaveral, and are experts there, but I am totally lost regarding Miami!
Thanks for your help!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
cruisinwithmaandpa
Happiness is being grandparents

There are several shuttle companies that will take you from the airport to the cruise port. If you are returning your car in Miami, the rental car center has a free shuttle to the Port of Miami.

Google Fort Lauderdale shuttle companies as well.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover. - Mark Twain
cruisinwithmaandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Have you seen the Official POM Info thread? ; http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2897908
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
mikehn
DIS Veteran

There arent any free shuttle buses that will take you from FLL to port of Miami. Budget does not even have a free shuttle from MIA to port of Miami either. However, other car rental companies such as Alamo, Dollar, Enterprise do have a free shuttle from MIA to port. Nothing free from FLL.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn View Post
There arent any free shuttle buses that will take you from FLL to port of Miami. Budget does not even have a free shuttle from MIA to port of Miami either. However, other car rental companies such as Alamo, Dollar, Enterprise do have a free shuttle from MIA to port. Nothing free from FLL.
We rented from Alamo for that reason. Originally had Budget booked. We plan on picking up a car in MCO and visiting WDW for a few days and then driving down to MIA the morning of the cruise. We will drop off car at MIA and take Alamo shuttle to POM. On the return we will take shuttle to MIA from POM and pick up another Alamo rental and then drop off at PBI later in the day after visiting people.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

From everything I have read, including the Port of Miami thread, it is quicker to simply take a cab for about $10 then wait for the car rental shuttle since it stops at every terminal.

My question, and not to take this thread over, is that we are a family of 5. Our plan was for me to drop off DW and kids at the port while I returned the car and take a cab back. But when we get off the ship is it better for me to get the car rental on my own and come back for DW and kids or should we all get in a cab to go to the car rental agency? And since there will be 5 of us (kids are 4,6,8) I presume we will need a minivan taxi. Are there a lot of those?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
mikehn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanospops View Post
From everything I have read, including the Port of Miami thread, it is quicker to simply take a cab for about $10 then wait for the car rental shuttle since it stops at every terminal.

My question, and not to take this thread over, is that we are a family of 5. Our plan was for me to drop off DW and kids at the port while I returned the car and take a cab back. But when we get off the ship is it better for me to get the car rental on my own and come back for DW and kids or should we all get in a cab to go to the car rental agency? And since there will be 5 of us (kids are 4,6,8) I presume we will need a minivan taxi. Are there a lot of those?
It is a bonafide zoo at port of Miami on debarkation day. The car rental shuttle bus is packed with passengers and all their luggage. You will be sitting on top of each other while the shuttle bus stops at every terminal to pick up even more passengers and luggage. Can you say sardines?

There are plenty of cabs waiting at the port on debarkation day and Im sure you can find one big enough for the family and luggage. This is the better option. Rather than having to come back to port to pick up the family.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn View Post
It is a bonafide zoo at port of Miami on debarkation day. The car rental shuttle bus is packed with passengers and all their luggage. You will be sitting on top of each other while the shuttle bus stops at every terminal to pick up even more passengers and luggage. Can you say sardines?

There are plenty of cabs waiting at the port on debarkation day and Im sure you can find one big enough for the family and luggage. This is the better option. Rather than having to come back to port to pick up the family.
Thanks for the confirmation! I will probably do this both ways.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: