Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonniac View Post
I haven't seen anything official, but after tinkering with the new price plans this morning I was able to come up with this break down:

Quick Service:
Adult - 39.64/night booked
Child - 15.75/night booked

Regular Dining:
Adult - 58.66/night booked
Child - 18.88/night booked

Deluxe Dining
Adult - 104.94/night booked
Child - 29.51/night booked

Premium Dining:
Adult - 194.00/night booked
Child - no option

Hope this saves some time until the prices become official.
So how much of an increase is this over current 2013 prices? Any word if the refillable mugs will still be included in the meal plans now that they are rolling out this rapid refill program?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonsDisneyMom View Post
So how much of an increase is this over current 2013 prices? Any word if the refillable mugs will still be included in the meal plans now that they are rolling out this rapid refill program?
These are the current 2013 prices. They went up a month or so ago, and they appear to be the prices for 2014.

QS and DDP for adults went up about $3 each.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecatz View Post
Wow. If I'm calculating this right, if you assume:

1 snack, 1 QS, 1 TS per day for adults, and use $4 for the snack, $12 for the QS meal, you need to spend $42 on dinner.

the drinks and the desserts are the killers here.

you're literally paying full price for food most people don't eat.
Your break down is close, but the QS meal should be a little higher. Assuming the lower/avg entrée price of $10, drink at $3, and dessert at $4, it's pretty easy to "spend" $17 for the QS. And this doesn't include the tax. So, the value of the TS is really around $38-39.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
averill94
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
So the quick service plan now costs as much as the DDP cost, just 3 or 4 years ago.

I noticed the booking website no longer claims that any of the dining plans will save any money.

Just for typical fun:
Snack -- $5
Dinner at Be Our Guest:
Soda $3
Entree Sauteed Shrimp and Scallops -- $25.99
Dessert -- all are $3.99

Lunch at Cosmic Rays:
Entree 1/2 Roto chicken -- $9.99
Dessert: $3.59
Beverage: $2.99

Add tax (about 7%? I forget exactly), and total comes to: $58.33

So use all the allotments in a reasonable mid-priced manner, don't skip any desserts, get an expensive snack --- And you only lose 33 cents by using the plan instead of OOP!
I am shocked at the price per person! When we first went in 2007, I swear it was 35 or 39 per adult.....
Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
Averie
Earning My Ears

The last time we were there, it was $38 per adult I think. Now I'm starting to wonder if its worth it. Like someone above stated, when we buy it, we have to make it worth the money like doing Character meals. It really makes for a busy schedule..
Averie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
dissupermom
Mouseketeer

I like the no worry/no skimping/feeling like a cheapo while on vacation! if it's all the same, $58 out pocket or $58 with the plan, I'll take the plan for $58, please
dissupermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #22
MINNIEANN MOUSE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissupermom View Post
I like the no worry/no skimping/feeling like a cheapo while on vacation! if it's all the same, $58 out pocket or $58 with the plan, I'll take the plan for $58, please
Ditto ;-)
Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie View Post
The last time we were there, it was $38 per adult I think. Now I'm starting to wonder if its worth it. Like someone above stated, when we buy it, we have to make it worth the money like doing Character meals. It really makes for a busy schedule..
At the current price point, figuring out what you want ahead of time is very important. (Both in terms of food items, food quantity, and what you're getting out of the plan).

If you're looking to dine mostly at the higher end places, higher end menu items, and sticking to the offered entitlements, it can work out. (Note: it doesn't have to be the "most expensive items at the most expensive places" as is touted a lot, but you do have to stick to the upper half to upper third.)

If you think you're going to stray, or want too much non-included stuff but not much of the included stuff, it's typically best to pass.

Part of the calculations is also how much the prepaid and credit-based system influence your dining. Some people prefer the prepaid/credits as they'd be concerned about how much they're spending at dining time. Some prefer OOP because they'd be concerned with making sure that they're getting their money's worth. Neither is right or wrong and it's all in how you apply it to your trip.

Myself, I'm one of the former. I'm pretty bad about saving money, so socking it away into a plan works better for me. Of course, being picky, I typically look to steak or other beef-based menu items, which naturally drives my costs up anyway.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #24
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Just got back from the World and we ate OOP this trip.
The DDP would have cost our family $2413.08 for 12 nights.

We ate OOP and spent $1681.01
This number includes some beer and wine. It also includes the gratuity. When you use a TIW card it automatically adds a 18% gratuity.

Difference of $732.07

We are a family of 5 with 3 "adults" and 2 children.

One thing we found was that we weren't eating as much. We rarely had a dessert with QS meals. We bought bottles of water because it was so hot the whole time we were there. My husband lost 5 lbs in the 12 days we were there. Not as much eating and not as much sweet stuff.

We did breakfasts at Chef Mickeys, Tusker House, Swan's Grand Garden and Boma.
Lunch at Tonys
Suppers at Sci Fi, Rainforest Cafe, and The Land (Chip 'n' Dale).

We ate one meal at a restaurant out of the parks.

We did not hold back on what we ate and drank. We purchased way more water as it was hot and we wanted cold bottles. We bought slushies a lot more than we normally would due to the heat.

I am happy we ate OOP. I found that with the DDP I was always conscious of what we ate and how many credits we had left. I felt like we HAD to eat our worth and not go home with unused credits.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: