Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Pirate Night at Palo

We pulled away from CC right at 5 pm.

The Captain came on to say that we would basically be bobbing around for the entire night as the distance to Nassau was so short and that there were some storms and rain bands that were resulting from a tropical disturbance in the Gulf. They weren’t kidding about bobbing about!! We did about 5 kts for the remainder of the evening. We had to chuckle as every time we went out onto the verandah we could STILL see CC s-l-o-w-l-y disappearing, very, very slowly

Tonight was Pirate Night and the Captain had told us that they had plenty of time and that they would skirt around any bad weather to make sure that they could do the fireworks. Not being very good pirate material, we had made reservations in Palo for tonight at 7:30 pm. We hung around in our stateroom until it was time to get ready.

Heidi was our server again. We had a really nice time in Palo and the food was excellent. I’m doing a complete disservice to the Manager, as he was funny and very engaging and we had a good time chatting to him, and I can’t remember his name! He even showed us a photograph of the manager of Palo from the Magic, Francesco, who was in a blue jump suit and working the dry dock in Cadiz. We love to interact with the crew when they drop a little of the “official” side and start to show their real personalities. Again the nosey in me comes out, because I love to hear about how they started working for DCL and about where the come from etc.

So, food for the evening was:

Breads and antipasto.

Scott had Tuna Carpaccio and Lemon Oil Dressing.

We both had the palate cleanser.

Palo Beef Tenderloin with Barolo Red Wine Sauce.

I had Sicilian Pesto Marinated Grilled Shrimp.

Oregano and Parmesan Crusted Rack of Lamb – delicious (if you like lamb of course).

We both had the Chocolate Soufflé.

His.

Mine.

Spot the difference? Me, either.

We finished about 5 minutes before the fireworks were due to go off and stood outside Palo contemplating fighting our way out to try and see them, but sleepiness and fullness won over and we just headed back to our cabin instead. I could tell when the fireworks were over as you could hear everyone coming back to their cabins with lots of appropriate pirate noises. We were snug as bugs in bed already, which, even as I’m typing this makes me think that we really are becoming old and boring! We didn’t even take a photo of the towel animal!!

Up next...Nassau.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #32
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Can you tell I am on a mission to try and get as much done as possible. It will go a little slower from here out as I don't have my photos numbered or loaded into photobucket yet for the remainder.

I will tell you ahead of time that we didn't get off the ship in Nassau, so no real great stuff there, but of course it was the Halloween Party, and I know some that are following along want to know about that. If I can, I will try to get that posted tomorrow.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #33
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

Loving your trip report -- great photos, thanks!
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #34
krissy2803
DIS Veteran

Love the report! We will be on the Wonder Nov. 9th, sailing the same itinerary.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #35
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for the update. Last time we were on the Wonder I had that steak at Palo. I had to book dinner just for that steak or I would have booked only brunch.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #36
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecllap View Post
Loving your trip report -- great photos, thanks!
Thank you - some are taken by my DH, so I have to give credit where it's due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy2803 View Post
Love the report! We will be on the Wonder Nov. 9th, sailing the same itinerary.
I wish I were going back! There are so many things that we didn't get to do - mostly because of laziness on our part, but now I wish we had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
Thanks so much for the update. Last time we were on the Wonder I had that steak at Palo. I had to book dinner just for that steak or I would have booked only brunch.
DH loves the steak. I really like to get the lamb as it's not something I ever make at home.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #37
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Wednesday - Nassau & Halloween Celebrations

Today we were due to arrive in Nassau early, by about 7:00 am if not earlier. All Ashore was at 7:15 am! We had contemplated going ashore before our trip, but then decided to just use it as another lazy day. We have been to Nassau before and did a walking tour. I did at one point book a snorkeling excursion, and then cancelled it as I HAD promised not to book anything. So today we were going to stay onboard.

We were already docked before we even got out of bed, so we decided to go and grab a coffee from Cove Cafe and wait a little while before heading up to Beach Blanket Buffet for breakfast.

The morning fix.

They had decorated BBB for Halloween - it was very cute with carved pumpkins at the entrance and black spider webs hanging as you went down the line.

The spider webs were hung pretty low and so we had to readjust a couple of them on our way through as DH was walking through them and they kept tickling his bald head.

This was breakfast for me, a random selection of things.

We took these photographs up on Deck 10. There were 2 other ships in port that day.

Atlantis.

We spent the rest of the morning hanging out at the adult pool. I had managed to get sunburned from when we were riding the bikes at CC yesterday (note - moisturizer with sunblock is NOT sweat proof) and so I was trying to avoid too much sun today. The loungers around the adult pool are only in the shade for a certain portion of the day, so as soon as we weren't able to be in the shade any more, we headed down to our cabin. That's when we really got wild and crazy and decided to watch movies on TV!! I know everyone is just enthralled by all of our escapades so far today.

Here's a couple of token photos taken from our verandah, just so you get a sense of the excitement.

The Halloween festivities for the evening included dinner being Cruise Casual or Halloween costume. We had brought costumes with us, but began to have cold feet that we might be the only ones dressed up, so at about 5:30 pm we headed down to Deck 4 to look over into the atrium and see if anyone was wearing costumes. The lobby was filled with people waiting for photos and LOTS were dressed up. We watched for a while, enjoying seeing everyone having fun with Mickey & Minnie. Goofy was dressed as Tutankhamun and did a good zombie impression as he came up the stairs.

Convinced that we wouldn't be the only ones in costume, we headed upstairs to get ready. We wanted to get our photo taken down in the atrium, so headed that way and ran into Sullins5 at the bottom of the stairs, who was kind enough to take this photo. It's just as well because the photopass photos of us were horrible.

If people asked DH what we were - he would say "Dead People" We were a dead bride and groom for the record.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #38
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Halloween Parties

After having our (horrible) photos taken with the Halloween back drop, we headed up to the Family Deck party that was taking place at 7:30 pm on Deck 9. They were playing music and the characters came out to dance around in their Halloween costumes. There wasn't any trick or treating going on though for the kids, but I assume that they do that for the actual Halloween sailings.

We ran into our cute server from Cove Cafe. Unfortunately my sun burn was burning through the white make up so my ghostly ghoul was a tad on the pink side.

We were too early for dinner and there didn't seem to be an appropriate place for ghosts to haunt, so we went and sat in the Promenade Lounge and had a drink instead. We just loved this guy and his kids.

Tonight we were back in Tritons for dinner. They were decorated in the entryway.

Miss Ninja (DJ) took this of us at the table.

Scott had Duck Confit, Avocado and Citrus Salad, and Creme Brulee. I am sure he had an entree, we just didn't take a photo and I don't remember what it was!

I had the Applewood Smoked Bacon and Wild Mushroom Tart (which was wondeful), “Chef Louis” French Onion Soup (also delicious), Slowly Braised Lamb Shank, and Sweet Temptations for dessert.

It seemed that dinner went by quickly this evening, the servers all seemed to be having a great time with everyone dressed up. I'm sure it's a nice change of pace for them, and they got into the "spirit" of it.

(Disclaimer: Coming up are pictures of several families/groups/people that we thought had great costumes, I hope if any of them are DISers that they don't have an objection to me posting them. If anyone recognizes themselves and would like me to remove their photo, please send me a PM.)

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #39
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

On our way out of Tritons, the Queen of Hearts was holding court with the Mad Hatter - such a great costume.

We were too early for the adult costume contest in Wavebands that was due to start at 10:30 pm, but we didn't really want to go and sit anywhere else, so we ended up getting there early. The Family Halloween Bash was just starting in Studio Sea at 9:45 pm, and we didn't want to go there either. As we arrived at Wavebands one of the CMs handed us a card to be included in the competition. We were put in the group "Most Original".

It was empty when we got in there.

Here are some of the others from Wavebands that evening. We thought everyone's costumes were great!

This one is hard to tell because of the flash, but he's the headless horseman.

This was one of the groups for "judging" by the crowd. There were 5 in each category, and I don't remember which category was which now. It was a bit random, and probably not as well thought out as it could have been. Hopefully this weeks cruisers will have better things to report about the organization.

Awesome...and at dinner there were about 12 of them.

We won our category and were awarded the standard black mickey medal on a red band, but also got a couple of really nice key chains (not the CC gift either! ). We had a great time and stayed around until about midnight when we were a) tired and b) wanting to get all that makeup washed off!

So the hit and miss was. The hit - It was a bonus party and if you like to dress for Halloween it was a fun opportunity to throw on the costumes and have a great time. The miss - the organization was a little off for the parties as the Family Party started in Studio Sea at 9:45 pm and the Adult party at 10:30 pm in Wavebands. This led to people that had been with their kids, showing up right at 10:30 pm for the adult costume contest, only to find out that all the cards to participate had been handed out. It was a shame because there were some great costumes that were left out of the competition. Hopefully they will remedy that on the future cruises.

I believe that the kids were left a trick or treat bag in the cabin that evening with a couple of pieces of candy, but apart from that, there was no candy handed out on this particular cruise.

I think by the time we'd washed off makeup and I'd washed the spray paint out of my hair it was about 1 pm. Another late night and another day of exhaustion from doing almost nothing.

Jenny & Scott

Last edited by ukintheus; 10-10-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #40
dreamcat78
Earning My Ears

I love all the costumes thank you for sharing!!! Who won and which costume for the disney category? One more question how hot were your temperatures? You said you got sunburnt? Sorry that really stinks
Old 10-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcat78 View Post
I love all the costumes thank you for sharing!!! Who won and which costume for the disney category? One more question how hot were your temperatures? You said you got sunburnt? Sorry that really stinks
This was the group for the Disney category. Even the host, Simon, said something about allowing Fiona from Shrek (Dreamworks) in there. The Fairy Godmother won.

The sunburn was my fault. I put sunblock on everything except my face and neck as I had used my moisturizer that has SPF 30 in it, not thinking that we would be riding the bikes and be out and about for an hour or so. Plus there were bits that I missed completely! We thought the temperatures were great, in the mid to high 80's most days.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #42
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

I thought I'd also mention that they now have life vests for the kids by the pools. (I think this is new, right??) They are the soft foam type that clip at the front, and they have various sizes. I didn't think to take a photo at the time, but they have them on racks towards the outside of the pool areas. I did go through our photos to see if I had happened to catch them in a random photo, but I didn't.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #43
grimgrningghost
DIS Veteran

How long did your dinners typically last?
grimgrningghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #44
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgrningghost View Post
How long did your dinners typically last?
It was just the two of us, so usually about 1 1/2 hours unless we were the ones that dragged it out longer. When we went with friends earlier in the year and there were six of us it was 2 hours.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #45
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

Love your costumes -- glad you won!

Hope it's possible to decrease that dining time some (wonder if I can have dessert first).

When you go to the evening Shows, do they check if you are at the "correct" time based on your dining time, or can you just wander into either one? Do they close the doors, or can one sneak in quietly after it starts and stand in the back?
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: