Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #77
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Joining in! I am LOVING seeing tours of all of the different resorts in on TR! Thank you for taking so many great pics!
I'm happy you're enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
I feel like their are parts of the Contemporary that are impressive (monorail, restaurants) but I've never been thrilled with the rooms. I would take BLT in a heart beat though! I love those rooms and I love the pop art MK icons everywhere. Magical! I also think if I wanted a monorail resort, I'd book the others first. I wouldn't ever need it to be IN my resort, though I do love seeing it when I'm visiting the Contemporary.

The GF is gorgeous. I'm not always the biggest fan of the rooms...too much grandma floral in my opinion. But I love the views, the atmosphere, the feel, the exterior, everything else. It's so gorgeous! I love the elegance you just feel enveloped in.

I am just so excited for New Fantasyland! I always loved The Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast! (Your opinion of Ariel cracks me up...but I feel like when you think about it...a lot of them are either bratty or sickeningly sweet.) Anywho...I remember reading a picture book of the real, non-Disney LM when I was in 3rd grade and it was pretty traumatizing. I still can't figure out when it was doing in a 3rd grade classroom!

I personally didn't think the MagicBands seemed flimsy. That's too bad you guys couldn't test them out though! I'm so excited to test them, so I'll give you some good feedback! There's already a lot I don't think about them and a few things I do. We shall see how I feel after actually using them.

AoA is just mind-blowing! I would LOVE to stay there one day. We just were going for cheaper though, so no family suite, and went with Pop because I didn't want to stay in a LM room...and I even like her more than you do! I do like a lot of that area of the resort though! I'll have to be sure to find that Eric statue! Anywho...back to the rest of AoA, the exterior and pools and all that jazz look AMAZING! I will definitely be stopping over there to take a look and try out Landscapes of Flavor!

Goodness...the Lion King! Such a great, timeless movie. I love it so much. I'm SO excited for that part. I was obsessed as well. We watched it a bunch, had ornaments, stuffed animals, an entire collection of trading cards, a cat named Simba, I was in the play, the whole sha-bang! I love the tile in the master bath as well. B-E-A-UTIFUL!

Can't wait for more! And I would love a full TR of your cruise!
See when I first saw pictures of the GF rooms I thought the same thing! But the rooms are actually pretty nice and they're huge. Pictures don't do them justice. I liked my stay there more than I thought I would.

I just think the snaps that hold the MagicBand on your wrist seem really easy to break. I would constantly be checking my wrist to make sure it was still there.

You should definitely make a trip across the bridge to walk around AoA. It's a great resort! Landscape of Flavors is delicious and so different from any other value food court I've ever been to. And the Eric statue is really easy to find! Plenty of photo opps there especially in the Cars section.

I may just tack on the Breakaway portion at the end of this. I won't be taking notes or anything though. I need to relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
i think you should post about the epcot and food and wine section of it.
Got it

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #78
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Port Orleans Riverside

Next stop Ė Port Orleans Riverside. Iíve always wanted to stay here but believe or not, Iíve never stayed at a moderate before. If I had my pick, Iíd probably choose Riverside. Itís stunning! I fell in love with this resort. We grouped in the lobby before heading out and I looked around for anyone I knew. I had three families booked at POR the same week I was traveling but I didnít see any of them Ė oh well!

The lobby.

Boatwrightís. Iíve never been Ė is it any good?

The inside of that building houses the food court.

Old Man Island. I think this would be the difference in me choosing POR over POFQ. The POFQ is so lame!

Signage

Pool bar

Alligator Bayou room

This replaced the trundle bed. I think itís absolutely adorable!

Bed up

I think I might get lost in the Alligator Bayou section. Itís massive and all the buildings look the same. The mansion buildings (or Magnolia Bend) each have a distinctive design and are more spread out instead of clustered in one area. Two of them are strictly devoted to Royal Rooms and we were able to visit both types!

Standard room

I love the Disney boats!

Notice the royal banners

Royal Room. A letter from Princess Tiana welcomes you.

Even the princes get some love.

This concludes our tour of Riverside. We hopped back on the bus and headed home to Grand Floridian. We were free for the rest of the day. Stay tuned for some pool time and Epcot!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 10-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #79
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Great POR tour! We were actually booked in a POR Royal Room for our trip in August, but we ended up switching to the BW. I love the Epcot resorts, and I'm glad we switched - but I still wish we'd gotten a chance to experience POR!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #80
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great POR tour! We were actually booked in a POR Royal Room for our trip in August, but we ended up switching to the BW. I love the Epcot resorts, and I'm glad we switched - but I still wish we'd gotten a chance to experience POR!
What did you think of Boardwalk? We toured it but it's not the same as staying there! That is my first choice for next year's trip.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #81
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I love, love, love POR. Our room in AB was preferred, so we didn't need to deal with aimlessly wandering to find our building. However, we got SUPER lost the first time we tried to find Acadian House. The WL has spoiled me now though-- I like everything being in one building!!
The Royal Rooms are gorgeous though-- I would have LOVED them as a child. (Or now. Ehem.)
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #82
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I love, love, love POR. Our room in AB was preferred, so we didn't need to deal with aimlessly wandering to find our building. However, we got SUPER lost the first time we tried to find Acadian House. The WL has spoiled me now though-- I like everything being in one building!!
The Royal Rooms are gorgeous though-- I would have LOVED them as a child. (Or now. Ehem.)
I keep suggesting moderates to Kris because I've never stayed at one and he refuses because of that reason - he likes everything in one building. I mentioned BWV or OKW for next year and he already nixed OKW! We're looking to rent points again at BWV, OKW, and AKV all have the same point value. He said he wouldn't mind staying in AKV but OKW is a solid no!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #83
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Epcot!

Before we left for Disney World, Disney offered our group free tickets to La Nouba. Lorraine and I both turned it down (we just werenít interested) but it seemed like everyone else was participating. Kristen, who sat with us at our breakfast table every day, wasnít going either so we invited her to join us for dinner at Epcot. She agreed and before we went anywhere, a trip to the Grand Floridian pool was in order because it was just so freaking hot!
The pool at GF? BOR-ING! Thereís a water slide, which is nice, but thereís no real theme and itís small in comparison to other deluxe pools Iíve seen. However the kidsí area was adorable. Itís a splash and play zone themed after Alice in Wonderland. Very cute!

GF pool.

Beach area

We paid a visit to the pool bar. The pools have a brand new drink menu and the bartender had just come back to work after vacation so he kept having to look up the recipes. The drinks were delicious though!

We lounged around for about 45 minutes sipping our drinks and talking before heading back to the room to get changed. We met in the mini-lobby of our building and headed toward the monorail. Sigh. The monorail is great for Magic Kingdom but for EpcotÖwhat a pain in the butt. Iím sure itís easier from the Polynesian because you can walk to the ticket and transportation center so thereís no transfer necessary but I think the other monorail resorts should offer alternate transportation to Epcot. It took at least 30 minutes to get there by monorail.

Of course I had to be a dork and wear my Epcot Anniversary shirt to Epcot.

We had dinner reservations at Garden Grill and since we were early & in the same building, we Soared over California first. It was Lorraine and Kristenís first flight and I lost count for me. I like this ride, itís very relaxing, but I donít think it justifies a 60+ minute wait. If it werenít for fastpass Iíd never go on it!

Time for dinner! I was excited about Garden Grill because this was a first for me and boy am I glad we picked this place. Absolutely delicious! Everything is served family style and it you want extra of anything all you have to do is ask. Our server, who was fantastic by the way, even gave us stuff that wasnít listed on the menu like macaroni and cheese and sweet potato fries. Everything was so good! The restaurant slowly rotates and you see different scenes through the rotation Ė a farm house, desert, plains, and a rainforest where you can see the boat ride. Some of the scenes have animatronic animals. The icing on the cake is that this place is also a character meal destination. I highly recommend Garden Grill.

Blurry!

We were lucky enough to get TWO desserts! One is berry cobbler and the other are cone cupcakes with frosting. Both were very yummy!

Before we left our server gave us glow sticks as one more Ďdessert.í I think we were the last people in the restaurant at this point! Epcot was closed by the time we were finished with dinner so we headed back to the Grand Floridian via the monorail. I wanted to walk through the Poly from the ticket and transportation center back to GF but I was vetoed lol. We arrived back at our room and turned in for the night. Tomorrow was another busy day!

Day 3 Ending Ė Stay tuned for Cape May Cafť and a tour of the Disney Dream!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #84
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

i have been wanting to eat there again and hope to put it on the list for our next trip, i bet the kids would enjoy it and with the characters another bonus.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #85
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
What did you think of Boardwalk? We toured it but it's not the same as staying there! That is my first choice for next year's trip.
Oh, we absolutely love the BW! We have stayed there twice now - rented points for BWV the first time and at the regular resort this time. Fantastic - love having the view of the boardwalk from the balcony to watch all the goings-on. And the pool is a blast. Highly recommend!

Isn't Garden Grill fantastic???? We did it for the first time in August (just posted my review of it last night, actually), and we would happily go there every trip
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #86
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
i have been wanting to eat there again and hope to put it on the list for our next trip, i bet the kids would enjoy it and with the characters another bonus.
I loved it there! I definitely wouldn't mind going back.

Quote:
Oh, we absolutely love the BW! We have stayed there twice now - rented points for BWV the first time and at the regular resort this time. Fantastic - love having the view of the boardwalk from the balcony to watch all the goings-on. And the pool is a blast. Highly recommend!

Isn't Garden Grill fantastic???? We did it for the first time in August (just posted my review of it last night, actually), and we would happily go there every trip
We want to rent points but it's going to be tough finding someone who owns at BWV & especially for the time of year we want to go (during Food & Wine). Hopefully we will luck out!

YES! I loved it there! It was so easy to meet the characters because of the way the place is set up and the food was delicious!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #87
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great update!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #88
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I would have been with you on turning down La Nouba tickets. I don't really get the Cirque craze.
And for the flagship resort, GF's pool is really lame.
Garden Grill's menu sounds SO good-- and your server was awesome!!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #89
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

I've never stayed at a Mod either. We'll see if that ever happens. The only reason I've stayed deluxe is thanks to DVC points and I think I'd just like to continue doing that when I can. But they look great. And I do love most the pools. Plus royal rooms? Yes please. Okay I would really love to stay at one, but we'll see.

Good to know about the GF pool/EPCOT monorail traveling...I'll have to store that knowledge away for one day when the decision is what I WANT not what I can afford just to get my butt back to Disney.

Garden Grill looks sooo good!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR
I Kept My Eyes Open the Whole Time! - Nov 2014 TR

princess_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #90
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great update!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I would have been with you on turning down La Nouba tickets. I don't really get the Cirque craze.
And for the flagship resort, GF's pool is really lame.
Garden Grill's menu sounds SO good-- and your server was awesome!!
There are so many cirque shows and you can see them anywhere - I just didn't want to waste park time by seeing the show. We had limited time as it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
I've never stayed at a Mod either. We'll see if that ever happens. The only reason I've stayed deluxe is thanks to DVC points and I think I'd just like to continue doing that when I can. But they look great. And I do love most the pools. Plus royal rooms? Yes please. Okay I would really love to stay at one, but we'll see.

Good to know about the GF pool/EPCOT monorail traveling...I'll have to store that knowledge away for one day when the decision is what I WANT not what I can afford just to get my butt back to Disney.

Garden Grill looks sooo good!
DVC rentals are awesome aren't they? Who have you rented from? I need to find someone to rent from next year.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: