Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Kristin3021
Mouseketeer

POR or POFQ?

Family of 8 going to WDW in April. We got the spd at POR, but I'm wondering if we should switch to POFQ? I stayed at POR years ago, but don't really remember it lol. Any opinions appreciated. There's 6 adults and 2 young children.
Kristin3021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Katd52
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POR last September and then POFQ in February(big group of 12) and I much preferred FQ. It was so quaint, quiet, and small. Everyone thought it was awesome. We all vowed never to stay anywhere else POR is just too big IMO. The walk to the Food Court was annoying. We never went to go refill our mugs etc because it was almost a 30 min roundtrip walk! At FQ everything was never too far away. I thought it would seem too boring for my kids but they all loved it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

POFQ would be my vote.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
disneyjunkie11
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POFQ last year and loved it. It was just my hubby and me but I think your kids would love the pool. Everything was close. It was nice not to have to walk so far to get to food/bus stops.
disneyjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
dansdad
DIS Veteran

They are both great resorts and it depends on which theme you like better. We happen to prefer POR slightly over POFQ. POFQ is much smaller but we prefer the food court at POR. POR also has a TS restaurant if that's important to you. Our DS prefers the pool/slide at POR. POR is larger, but the furthest room in only about a 6-7 minute walk to the food court. We prefer quieter areas so we always request to be put in the back of POR and the walk is nothing plus it's beautiful.

I suggest checking out portorleans.org for details and pictures of both.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
SGMCO
Vintage Style is Sweet--Rumbleseat Fashions

I've stayed at both and prefer POR. I really loved the Mansions. While staying at FQ walked over to POR several times to eat at the Food court which is soooo much better. So if you decide to stay at FQ, try to get the closest building located next to POR so it won't be so far to walk. FQ only has one Bus stop and when the resorts busses are combined it was hard to get off the bus when stop was 1st at FQ, people didn't want to move so that you could get off. When going to the Parks,Since there was only 1 stop you had to get in line to make it on a bus before it was filled, had to wait for next bus. Never had a problem with POR busses, was able to catch the bus next to our building, didn't have to walk very far and never had to catch the next bus. Also was let off the bus next to our building, so was not far to walk, stayed in mansions area.

Last edited by SGMCO; 10-10-2013 at 09:20 AM.
SGMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Kristin3021
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMCO View Post
I've stayed at both and prefer POR. I really loved the Mansions. While staying at FQ walked over to POR several times to eat at the Food court which is soooo much better. So if you decide to stay at FQ, try to get the closest building located next to POR so it won't be so far to walk. FQ only has one Bus stop and when the resorts busses are combined it was hard to get off the bus when stop was 1st at FQ, people didn't want to move so that you could get off. When going to the Parks,Since there was only 1 stop you had to get in line to make it on a bus before it was filled, had to wait for next bus. Never had a problem with POR busses, was able to catch the bus next to our building, didn't have to walk very far and never had to catch the next bus. Also was let off the bus next to our building, so was not far to walk, stayed in mansions area.
We requested to stay in the mansions. Will 2 kids under 4 and 2 strollers we hoped to have an elevator lol. I was wondering about only having one bus stop how it would affect getting a bus
Old 10-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Kristin3021
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
They are both great resorts and it depends on which theme you like better. . I suggest checking out portorleans.org for details and pictures of both.
That's a great idea, I'll do that. Thx
Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Kristin3021
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katd52 View Post
We stayed at POR last September and then POFQ in February(big group of 12) and I much preferred FQ. I thought it would seem too boring for my kids but they all loved it.
I was wondering if they'd like POR better......good to know kids like it too!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
chuckinthechat
Mouseketeer

Count another vote for FQ, I stayed at AoA in August and due to the walk never refilled the mugs. With the size of FQ it is just that more worth it
Old 10-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Just stayed at POFQ last week and it's a great resort!

Although, the food court at POR was good and worth the walk over from POFQ.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
J
Although, the food court at POR was good and worth the walk over from POFQ.
As was my morning walk over to POFQ for coffee and beignets while the girls slept -- hahahaha, they never knew why I wasn't as hungry as they were when they finally rolled out of bed.

Tom
Old 10-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Unless you're planning on a Royal Room at POR, I'd switch to POFQ. It's my absolute favorite Mod.

The resort is very quaint and it was nice not having a 10-15 minute trek to the food court for a drink refill, etc. When the busses are picking up at both POFQ and POR, POFQ is the first stop. It may not sound like much but believe me, when a bus is full, it's a definite benefit. On our last stay my little one was only 15-months-old and I had everything but the kitchen sink to lug on and off of the busses and by myseld to boot as I'm a single mom. It was wonderful not having to worry about accidentally knocking someone in the head with the stroller, the diaper bag, or a squirmy baby who wanted "down, now"! It was the perfect resort for that stay too. My DD had just started walking the month prior and wanted to walk everywhere on her wobbly little legs.

On our first night I decided that we'd take the boat to POR to explore there for a bit before heading to DTD. It became an every night tradition after that (the boat ride, not DTD). My daughter LOVED the boat ride and "horshies!" and I liked having more dinner options at POR. I preferred POFQ for breakfast as the beignets kept calling my name.

Either way, the entire PO complex is wonderful. By staying at one you gain access to the amenities at the other.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
SGMCO
Vintage Style is Sweet--Rumbleseat Fashions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin3021 View Post
We requested to stay in the mansions. Will 2 kids under 4 and 2 strollers we hoped to have an elevator lol. I was wondering about only having one bus stop how it would affect getting a bus
The mansions do have elevators. POFQ is the one with only 1 bus stop. POR has several bus stops.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
pxydst
Mouseketeer

we prefer POFQ to POR... I like the theme/feeling of FQ and the sound of the horses trotting down the street was nice! POR seems bigger spred out...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: