Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #30
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
Just to clarify - the 5 of you are generally in 1 room at a Value or Moderate resort? In looking at Disney's site, most of the rooms say they'll sleep "up to 4". I could't get Disney's site to let me book 5 people into a room.

If certain resorts let you sleep 5 to a normal room, that might be hard to compare to a Studio in a Deluxe. AFAIK, most Value/Moderate resorts have two double beds or two queens, whereas a studio has a queen and a fold out couch. I'm not sure about that 5th person.\
If you're comparing 2 Value / Moderate rooms vs the equivalent DVC accomodations, a 1 bedroom could very well work for your family. As Jade1 said, many of the resorts have a sleeper chair, and can sleep 5. Some resorts only sleep 4 and have one bathroom, but some sleep up to 5 with two bathrooms - plus, as was mentioned, you also get a kitchen, dining room, laundry facilities, etc.

We stay Deluxe for a lot of reasons, one of which being that most of the Deluxes (other than WL or AKL) will sleep 5 in a standard room. My son sleeps on the Daybed. (The only non-suite option for families of 5 that want to go Value/Mod is the Murphy bed rooms at POR-- my son will NOT fit into that bed!)

Rack rate at the Beach Club for the first week of August next summer is $428 a night, or a total of $2996 for 7 nights. (I'm desperately hoping not to pay rack rate, of course!!!)

I just hit the point charts (again!) We would need a 2 bedroom at almost any DVC, and that it would be in the ballpark of 300 points. At $14 a point, that's $4200... absolutely nowhere near rack rate. The cheapest I can find is a 1 bedroom at OKW, at 222 points: $3108-- still more expensive than the Beach Club, and we're trading an amazing location for a higher price and more room.

Again, every time I look at it, renting points is not the less expensive option for my family. I realize it's a great option for a family that can fit into a studio, but not for us.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 10-10-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: