Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #91
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

$70!!! wow!!!!

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #92
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

Those turtles are HUGE! Can't believe how close you got!

I guess you were paying for the atmosphere in addition to you food. I could go for a fish sandwich right about now...

DF Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: "That's not supposed to be HERE!" A Disneyland TR!***Our DFTW Planning Journal
elphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #93
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitlerzx4 View Post
$70!!! wow!!!!
I know.. I actually checked my credit card statement when I was writing that section, it was dear! We knew it was an expensive island though, if we were to go there again - we would get back on the ship to eat lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie101 View Post
Those turtles are HUGE! Can't believe how close you got!

I guess you were paying for the atmosphere in addition to you food. I could go for a fish sandwich right about now...
It was a really fun visit to the Turtle Farm - no barriers between us and the turtles, we were just asked politely not to touch the larger ones!

It was good food, even though it was pricey lol

Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #94
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 5...

We got changed, and then went up to deck 13 to sunbathe.

I was reading my book, and glanced up to see…. Goofy sunbathing next to another guest!

Next thing I know… Goofy is strolling over to us, and lay down on the sunbed next to DH! A crew member took our photo…

It was such a fun moment, so nice that Goofy thought to come up to the adults’ deck to meet his fans

There was a group of crew members sunbathing next to us, I only knew that because I overheard two of them talking and they were British… we seemed to be the minority on the ship as British guests! I think it’s nice that the crew get to sunbathe/relax when the ship is in port and there’s space for them to use the sunbeds too.

We moved sunbeds after a while to get some shade, I went down to the Fro Zone Treats to get an icecream (banana and strawberry swirl). It was so delicious, however the hot sun made it melt really quickly.. and I ended up with icecream melting all over my hands and onto the sunbed… I’m surprised I didn’t get thrown out of the adults’ area!

We cooled off for a while in the satellite falls splash pool, and then got a drink at the Currents bar as the ship sailed away from Grand Cayman.

The bar was dark blue marble and was sooo hot! The bar man joked that he might try frying an egg on it one day

There was a singer/guitar player entertaining by the bar – we saw him a few times during the week and he was really good. The bar tender, Ari, chatted to us for a while – he told us about the sailing when the Fantasy got caught in the tail of Hurricane Sandy last year, pretty scary!

We enjoyed the day in Grand Cayman – our tour was short but reasonably priced and we saw the main tourist sites.

We went back to our room to get showered and changed for the evening.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #95
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

That's so fun! I love the surprise Goofy appearance.

The whole Satellite Falls area looks so relaxing, it's one of the things I'm really looking forward to whenever we end up on the Fantasy!

DF Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: "That's not supposed to be HERE!" A Disneyland TR!***Our DFTW Planning Journal
elphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #96
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Poor Smiley-- no one wanted him! Augh, I hope that turtle burger wasn't made from the friends you visited at the turtle farm!
$70 is kind of a lot, but hey, you're on vacation on a beautiful island! I don't mind paying for good food and a good atmosphere.
LOVE the photo of you and Steve and Goofy! Too cute!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #97
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Great updates! Those turtles are pretty impressive. And I love that Goofy came to sunbathe with you! Sounds like a nice day so far.
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Dugette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #98
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post

Next thing I know… Goofy is strolling over to us, and lay down on the sunbed next to DH! A crew member took our photo…
How cool is that?!

We did a Western on the Magic, an Eastern on the Fantasy and we are doing a Western on the Fantasy August 2014. I'm trying to figure out what excursion to do on Grand Cayman. We already did the Dolphin Encounter/Turtle Farm with the kids. Maybe just a beach visit this time? I don't really want to take them to "Hell"!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #99
teatah
Earning My Ears

Great trip report so far. I am really enjoying it!

WDW: off site '93, Dixie Landings '96, ASMo '00, '04, '06, '08, Pop '09, '10, '12, AKL '11, AoA '12, OKW '14
DCL: Dream '11 & '13, Magic '13, Wonder '14,
teatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #100
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie101 View Post
That's so fun! I love the surprise Goofy appearance.

The whole Satellite Falls area looks so relaxing, it's one of the things I'm really looking forward to whenever we end up on the Fantasy!
Satellite Falls was really nice, I wished we'd used it more! It was nice to be able to cool off in the water without getting into a swimming pool.. a lot of people sat in there reading their books

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Poor Smiley-- no one wanted him! Augh, I hope that turtle burger wasn't made from the friends you visited at the turtle farm!
$70 is kind of a lot, but hey, you're on vacation on a beautiful island! I don't mind paying for good food and a good atmosphere.
LOVE the photo of you and Steve and Goofy! Too cute!
I felt sorry for Smiley too! During the Turtle Farm tour, our guide did mention something about when they 'harvest' the turtles lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
Great updates! Those turtles are pretty impressive. And I love that Goofy came to sunbathe with you! Sounds like a nice day so far.
Thank you! I was glad we went to the turtle farm, I think I read that Grand Cayman used to be called 'Tortuga' .. which means turtles, so they were definitely a key thing to see while we were there

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
How cool is that?!

We did a Western on the Magic, an Eastern on the Fantasy and we are doing a Western on the Fantasy August 2014. I'm trying to figure out what excursion to do on Grand Cayman. We already did the Dolphin Encounter/Turtle Farm with the kids. Maybe just a beach visit this time? I don't really want to take them to "Hell"!
Hi, excited for you to try the Western on the Fantasy next year! Our tablemates didn't have an excursion booked, they just got a cab from the port and went to Seven Mile Beach - they said it was a really beautiful place

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatah View Post
Great trip report so far. I am really enjoying it!
Thank you so much for reading so far!

Emma x
Old 10-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #101
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 5...

Before dinner we went to our new favourite bar… Sky Line! We got two cocktails using the passport we’d bought on our first night. The bar tender was from Manchester, England. DH tried an ‘Ooh La La’ cocktail and I had a ‘Berryshka’, which had blueberries in it – making it a healthy drink

Dinner this evening was at the Enchanted Garden – I love the theme of this restaurant. Our server, Luciana, happened to be stood at the entrance as we arrived – she commented on my dress, saying that each evening I had a prettier outfit than the night before! I really like on Disney cruises that you have the same servers each evening, it's nice to get to know them and build up a rapport.

It was nice to catch up with our table mates and see what they had been up to in Grand Cayman, they’d been to the famous Seven Mile Beach. During the meal, the lighting the restaurant gradually changes from daylight to dusk, to night… at first I thought it was my eyes, until someone else near us said ‘did the light just change?’

To eat, I had a tuna and wasabi tower, raspberry and gorgonzola salad, scallops with asparagus, and then a trio of desserts: passion fruit meringue, chocolate torte and strawberry cheesecake. I really like on the cruise that the portion sizes are small enough that we’re able to comfortably eat four courses – there is always so many dishes we want to try!

This meal also included a ‘kiss goodnight’ from the chef – chocolate truffles and passion fruit Turkish delight.

We went up to bed at 10pm, but managed to sleep through until 7am the next morning – think we were finally over our jet lag!

This evening’s towel animal.. we think it was an aardvark…

Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #102
dmwang9
Agent P's sidekick-in-training

The last set of photos in your Day 5 entry made me smile. For some reason, coming back to the cabin after a long day and finding it turned down for bed is one of my favorite memories of my Disney cruises. Definitely, seeing the red pillow flipped over to the "nighttime" side brings back the warm fuzzies. I've thought about buying one of the pillows to have at home, but the price made me realize that I didn't want the pillow *that* badly.

-- Dave

DLR: off site (8/74), GC (2/01), DLH (10/07, Gay Days Anaheim), VGC (3/13), off site (12/13), off site (2/14)
WDW: Swan (7/03, Nimbus), CR (8/06), Dolphin (8/07), Swan (6/08), Swan (6/09), BWV (7/10), BWV (7/11), BWV (6/12), SSR (6/13), BWV (3/14, Flower and Garden)
Universal: Royal Pacific (7/10, Infinitus), Portofino Bay (7/12, Ascendio)
Cruises: Dream (7/11, 4 night Bahamas), Dream (6/12, PCC 3.0, 5 night Bahamas), Fantasy (6/13, 7 night W Caribbean)
ABD: DIS Backstage Magic (7/14)

Upcoming trips: DL Half Marathon (Aug 29-Sep 1, 2014), AKV (Oct 27-31, 2014)
dmwang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #103
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Those turtles are so cute! I can imagine how disturbing it would be to spend a wonderful morning observing turtles and them finding them on your lunch menu.

Goofy sunbathing with guests is just about the cutest thing ever!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #104
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Yumm-- I love blueberry drinks! Your dinner sounds delicious. And I'm totally with you on the same servers thing. It's nice when they get to know your preferences, etc.
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #105
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a lovely evening. Whenever we manage to get ourselves onto a Disney cruise, I think we might have to set Dug Baby up with the kids club folks so we can enjoy a drink in the lounge! Enchanted Garden sounds cool with the lighting changing and all. For what it's worth, the two cruises I've been on were with Princess and Royal Caribbean and we had the same servers the whole time on each, so it's not just Disney. Our Royal Caribbean team was great, but Tony, the Italian waiter on the Princess cruise (years ago) was probably one of my favorite servers anywhere ever. He made dinners SO much fun for everyone. That service is a great aspect of cruising when it's done right. Glad you got a good night's sleep also!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Dugette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: