Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #31
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONES View Post
I still think it's valid for people to give their experiences with the walk. I travel with my huband, 2 kids, and my parents. My youngest daughter is tiny, and slow as molasses. I would guess she takes 4 steps to my every one step. That 8 minute walk would be closer to 15 minutes with her along with me. The other option is to pick her up and carry her. Now my 8 minute leisurely stroll through a beautiful resort isn't looking so good.

My dad is pushing 70, and walks with a cane. I know I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that 8 minute walk would be closer to 25 minutes for him. Even though the average person posting might be exagerating when they say it was a 15 minute walk.... I at least know it was bad enough that they remember it as a drawback. I also know that for my situation.... it would not be tolerable.

We just booked a trip for January. We booked the 1st day of the Disney Visa offer, and could have had our pick of most anywhere. My Dad decided on French Quarter, because as he said, "Even if we have the worst luck on the planet with our room location, I should be able to handle it".
Oh no doubt there are reasons people walk slower, as I noted in my post, that unless you have an issue which causes you to walk slowly, this just isn't true.

And that's the exact problem. If I say to you, its a 15 min walk each way, and then you read that and think, wow, with my Daughter or Father with me, that's going to be a 30 min walk each way. We have gone from what is, in actuality for the average person an 8 min walk max, to a 15 min walk, now to a 30 min walk in each direction.

People are welcome to share their experiences, that's what the OP asked for, but people constantly exaggerate things, and misrepresent them, particularly walking distances in resorts, and this does not help people asking for information.

And yes, at POFQ the longest walk is around (or just under) 350 Meters and the vast majority are shorter.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
snorkelyn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
Oh no doubt there are reasons people walk slower, as I noted in my post, that unless you have an issue which causes you to walk slowly, this just isn't true.

And that's the exact problem. If I say to you, its a 15 min walk each way, and then you read that and think, wow, with my Daughter or Father with me, that's going to be a 30 min walk each way. We have gone from what is, in actuality for the average person an 8 min walk max, to a 15 min walk, now to a 30 min walk in each direction.

People are welcome to share their experiences, that's what the OP asked for, but people constantly exaggerate things, and misrepresent them, particularly walking distances in resorts, and this does not help people asking for information.

And yes, at POFQ the longest walk is around (or just under) 350 Meters and the vast majority are shorter.
wow. Shaden..i I am feeling a bit defensive as you continue to insist that I am exaggerating. Perhaps you are exaggerating in the opposite direction! Perhaps you are a speed walker? My room was half a mile from the main building (I mapped it on google maps so we could put this to rest), and it was NOT an 8 minute walk as you insist it must have been. There were other people on the paths to contend with, passing golf carts, etc. We are a healthy, fit family of 5 (kids aged 9,7 and 5) Maybe if it were the only walking I had to do on a WDW trip, I wouldn't have minded, but It was a hike with 3 tired children at the end of a day. My opinion (as well as many others all over the internet) is that the rooms can be quite far from the main building. This is the most common complaint about this resort.

What we both agree on is that CSR is a beautiful resort. But please stop calling me out on my experience! It was a LONG WALK!

9/2010-Poly 9/2013-CSR 3/2014-POR 5/2014-Boardwalk Villas 7/2014-POR 9/2014-Contemporary 9/2014 Yacht Club
*We're working that annual pass before time runs out!
snorkelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #33
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelyn View Post
wow. Shaden..i I am feeling a bit defensive as you continue to insist that I am exaggerating. Perhaps you are exaggerating in the opposite direction! Perhaps you are a speed walker? My room was half a mile from the main building (I mapped it on google maps so we could put this to rest), and it was NOT an 8 minute walk as you insist it must have been. There were other people on the paths to contend with, passing golf carts, etc. We are a healthy, fit family of 5 (kids aged 9,7 and 5) Maybe if it were the only walking I had to do on a WDW trip, I wouldn't have minded, but It was a hike with 3 tired children at the end of a day. My opinion (as well as many others all over the internet) is that the rooms can be quite far from the main building. This is the most common complaint about this resort.

What we both agree on is that CSR is a beautiful resort. But please stop calling me out on my experience! It was a LONG WALK!
No need to feel defensive, but yes, unless you are transparent with limitations, ie tired kids slowing you down, or give a distance (slightly less than .5 miles) you are exaggerating when you say its a 15 minute walk.

If the average walking speed is around 3 mph (slightly more) and you are saying its 15 mins that would suggest that its 0.75 miles when in actuality its according to all ears 0.46 ? and according to my measures on google Earth, even slightly shorter than that, assuming you were at the farthest room from el centro.

So your estimate, while accurate in your experience, without pointing out the restrictions on your speed, suggests the distance is almost double what it actually is.

That's like saying it takes 25 mins to walk from the buses at epcot until you get in the park, but not mentioning the lines you had to wait in at bag check and then turnstiles ...

Its your experience, no doubt that's how you remember it, but I can't see that it helps someone to provide unclear or misleading information about the distances across the resort.

And yes, you are right, the walking is the most common complaint about CSR, POR, CBR, AoA LM, etc etc, and quite often the distances are greatly exaggerated. A PP estimated that it "could" take up to 10 mins to walk from your room to el centro, you are saying 15, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone say 20 mins (I have seen this on POR threads), its just not accurate unless you explain why it took -you- so long, it doesn't give a proper estimate of the size of the resort or the experience of guests there, IMO. And for me, that's frustrating. When I was on these boards for the first time, I was told all kinds of terrible things about the walk at POR, and I didn't have any personal experience to second guess them with. I know it can be very confusing to get conflicting reports. After the fact I now know that POR.org actually has posted the longest and shortest distances between any two points on the resort, and its there for a reason.

Its not a shot at you, so please don't take it as such, its just me and my desire to provide as accurate of details as possible to people. You were just trying to help, I am just trying to help.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

We are torn between the 2 also - but as long as you avoid the Rancho's at CSR, you will be fine.

Also ask yourself - do you need to go to DTD ? Do you want to use a pool or hot tub while in WDW ? Do you eat at the resort ?
Are there conventions at CSR while you are there and what kind?
May HS grads stay at CSR - normally the Rancho section.

Buses are about the same for either resort and rooms are similar.

Our family views:

We have a pool at home - and on our 10 day trips to WDW, we used the pool twice - so for us the pool is a take it or leave it.

Eating at the resort - we eat breakfast in our room (milk from the gift shop, cereal and granola bars we pack with us).
I would say the rest of our meals are in the parks or at Deluxe resorts.

DTD - some trips we never made it there, other trips we went once.

So if the only deciding factor is the walk to the bus stop - either resort is fine. CSR has 4 bus stops - one for each section.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceteachermom View Post
I have stayed at both. I prefer CSR over POFQ.

What I like about CSR:
-The grounds are gorgeous and the resort is beautiful. Love walking around the resort and the Southwest theme. Beautiful lobby area.
-Love the variety of food choices...Pepper Market plus a quick service area, bar, table service, great food at the pool too.
-The pool is my favorite on property.....large and lots of seating. The hot tub is the largest on Disney property and MUCH nicer than the one at POFQ.
-Multiple Bus stops and the resort does not share buses.
-Has the feel of a Deluxe.
-Nice playground area, they also do bonfire, s'mores, and outdoor movies.

What I like about POFQ:
-Rooms are nice...recently remodeled.
-The boat to DTD.
-Selections at food court.
-Small grounds are great if you are there when it is cooler...less walking.

I would choose CSR mainly for the pool, the transportation, hot tub, and variety of food choices. Both resorts are nice. I doubt you would dislike either. The boat to DTD is wonderful....if you spend a lot of time there, POFQ would be a great choice. That being said, I think CSR is worth the extra $5 a night.

We are debating between CSR and VWL for our next trip.

That pretty much sums up how we feel too. POFQ is great, but CSR is just a little bit nicer theme wise and the pool is way better!! It is definitely worth the extra $5 IMO.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #36
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

I was thinking about staying at Coronado for my January stay. I love the beach theme!! And there's hammocks you can lay on!
French Quarter seems to be more popular thoughh..

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #37
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynluvsdisney View Post
Thank you all for the pros and cons. We have stayed at POFQ and I was kind of bummed it was more (just a little) than CSR when we are going in November. I am excited about CSR now. It sounds like it is going to hit the spot. I have a new question if anyone can explain. We have 4 families of 4 going. One family really needed a suite for sleeping children. We are going at a slow time so if we can request a specific area what should we request to be as close together as possible. Thanks in advance.
Make a request on your reservation to have your rooms as close together as possible. Unfortunately, trying to stay close together is just a request with Disney and may not work out. There are no guarantees. One thing that you could do, is pay extra for the business class rooms in cabanas 9B. then you would all be in the same building (9B) and have the best location in CSR, plus some snacks etc in the lounge. As far as I know there are no suites in CSR, but then I have never tried for one so I am not sure about that. If someone needs a suite perhaps AoA might work where you can book suites at a fair price (for WDW) and there are some standard rooms in the little mermaid section for others that might not want a suite. Another option for suites is ASMu

If you want standard rooms in CSR:
The cabanas or the casitas are the closest sections to the main building, the ranchos are the furthest walk. For standard rooms we usually request casitas 4 because I like the look of the area best and we find it convenient to everything without being too far a walk. Bus stop 2 is just behind it, there is a quiet pool nearby, and the main pool isn't far. Another standard room building that we like is Cabanas 8B which is near bus stop 4 and quite close to the main pool. There are also hammocks on the beach nearby, if you like those.

Good luck!!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #38
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpiratee View Post
I was thinking about staying at Coronado for my January stay. I love the beach theme!! And there's hammocks you can lay on!
French Quarter seems to be more popular thoughh..
Like I said earlier, these boards in particular really do have a huge POR and FQ following, other places not so much.

I have stayed at POR and CSR and Love them both.

Hammocks are AWESOME !!!! Especially with a bottle of wine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: