Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #196
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
... Also, just a piece of information that I have received via email from Disney is that the DAS cards will be valid for shows and accessible viewing areas at parades.
Interesting!

I'm wondering if there might be new DAS viewing areas -- because otherwise, this statement sounds counter-intuitive to all our prior experiences with the accessible parade viewing areas at WDW. These areas have traditionally been for people in wheelchairs, ECVs, remaining in a stroller-as-wheelchair -- often people who may not need or even qualify for a DAS. As a party of 3, we've always been told that usually only 1 other is allowed in (not the whole party) but if 1 person sits on the ground in front and 1 stands behind then all 3 of us have been allowed. I don't see that working for whole parties of 6. Plus these spaces can fill up fairly quickly and they pack people in elbow-to-elbow. Definitely not a place for a last-minute arrival with a person who can't wait and needs his/her "space" to be comfortable. Of course, it could depend how crowded the park is on any given day/time, but I don't see these as a place were I would want to take an autistic guest. Hence, my thought maybe there will be other areas set-up for DAS users.

I can't speak for how accessible viewing areas have worked at DL, but what I've experienced at WDW doesn't sound like it's the place for a DAS user. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the reports are later this week...
Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #197
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Things got a little heated on the DL thread for a little while, so I reposted the guidelines from the initial post in this thread. I have also altered one part slightly.

From this point forward, we cannot allow people to post links to other forums or quotes from other forums on this thread. If you wish to share with friends, please do so through PM. If you think that a link or quote may be helpful, please send it to one of the moderators through Private Message, and we can post it. Thank you.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #198
Spoot
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Things got a little heated on the DL thread for a little while, so I reposted the guidelines from the initial post in this thread. I have also altered one part slightly.

From this point forward, we cannot allow people to post links to other forums or quotes from other forums on this thread. If you wish to share with friends, please do so through PM. If you think that a link or quote may be helpful, please send it to one of the moderators through Private Message, and we can post it. Thank you.
May we post links from these threads on other threads? I've directed a few people here in other threads (on other forums), but will stop if it isn't allowed.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #199
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoot View Post
May we post links from these threads on other threads? I've directed a few people here in other threads (on other forums), but will stop if it isn't allowed.
Sorry - if you want to direct people this way, please go ahead and do so! I just wanted to keep ugliness or personal fights on other boards from spilling onto this thread. Thanks everyone for keeping it civil!

Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #200
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Apparently there is a demonstration planned tomorrow Morning at DL. The planners have invited news crews etc. I personally wish the planner of this protest would have waited to see how everything goes rather than adding to the stress of the first day roll out.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #201
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Post one was updated with the most current information.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #202
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
Apparently there is a demonstration planned tomorrow Morning at DL. The planners have invited news crews etc. I personally wish the planner of this protest would have waited to see how everything goes rather than adding to the stress of the first day roll out.
Well I will not be there til the afternoon, so hopefully I will miss it. But I agree with the idea of me waiting my turn - I am no more special than anyone around me, disabled or able-bodied. I do not get to go faster or slower than anyone else - I just have the legal right to wait (like the average guest going into the park waits) in a safe manner. And I will make sure that I get to wait in a safe manner.

But protesting something that (A) has not happened yet, and (B) strives for equality and inclusion for people with disabilities? Why would you do that?

That is what this system is trying to do - make a more equal system. And maybe the DAS is not perfect, not yet. No system will ever be perfect for everyone. But I actually feel better knowing I can wait my turn. I felt bad when I knew I waited a shorter time, but I also knew the stand-by line was not an option.

So I am going into this hoping that it will work out okay. I will certainly tell Disney of any problems I may have, but I am hoping things will turn out okay. If I go in thinking it will all fail, I will be nothing but nerves and anxiety, and I will have a terrible day (as will anyone within a 10 foot radius of me). And I want to have a happy day at the Happiest Place on Earth.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #203
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Well I will not be there til the afternoon, so hopefully I will miss it. But I agree with the idea of me waiting my turn - I am no more special than anyone around me, disabled or able-bodied. I do not get to go faster or slower than anyone else - I just have the legal right to wait (like the average guest going into the park waits) in a safe manner. And I will make sure that I get to wait in a safe manner.

But protesting something that (A) has not happened yet, and (B) strives for equality and inclusion for people with disabilities? Why would you do that?

That is what this system is trying to do - make a more equal system. And maybe the DAS is not perfect, not yet. No system will ever be perfect for everyone. But I actually feel better knowing I can wait my turn. I felt bad when I knew I waited a shorter time, but I also knew the stand-by line was not an option.

So I am going into this hoping that it will work out okay. I will certainly tell Disney of any problems I may have, but I am hoping things will turn out okay. If I go in thinking it will all fail, I will be nothing but nerves and anxiety, and I will have a terrible day (as will anyone within a 10 foot radius of me). And I want to have a happy day at the Happiest Place on Earth.
I'm confused is this the thread for WDW or DL?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #204
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

A good couple of reminders:

Everything is going to be new for guests using the new program, but also for CMs, so please everyone be patient with CMs and other guests.

There are people (like the protesters that are apparently coming to DL) who are hoping the program fails and really not giving it a chance. I just hope no one gets hurt out of all this.

One final reminder, the first few days and weeks are going to be the hardest because everything is just getting settled. It probably won't be all worked out for a while. Anyone going in the near future should expect waits and some snafus - expecting everything to roll out completely smoothly would be kind of like going shopping on Black Friday and expecting the stores to be completely empty - it's just not going to happen.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #205
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
I'm confused is this the thread for WDW or DL?
Sorry, this is the WDW thread - I was just responding to a DL comment.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #206
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Thank you so much for this thread and posting all the info for us Sue! I agree it's going to have some teething problems what new system doesn't! Looking forward to hearing about how it goes now its live. As a person with need for dAS card and wheelchair entry as I have reasons why I cannot wait in line I am most interested in how this will work! As Yoda would say reading with interest I am mmmm. Paula x
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #207
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

no das at epcot

We are at epcot now and dd went to guest services and wsd told they are not giving out any cards. No gac and no das.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #208
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
We are at epcot now and dd went to guest services and wsd told they are not giving out any cards. No gac and no das.
WOW! Curious to hear what happens at the other parks today.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #209
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

Very interesting.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #210
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Interesting. Would you mind saying what you need is? I've read that wheelchair or ECv will not get a card even if they have in the past (assuming no other needs)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: