Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #436
dbenlee
DIS Veteran
 
dbenlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SE Texas
Posts: 1,073

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisMickey View Post
Any discount codes for Park N Cruise?
The only discount I have seen is to prepay online. They give a discount when using their website most of the time.
__________________
Have a great day, Ben.
June 2004 * Wilderness Lodge (sons first visit) --- June 2005 * Wilderness Lodge --- June 2006 * Beach Club Resort --- November 2006 * Beach Club Resort --- May/June 2007 * Yacht Club --- June 2008 Land & Sea * Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian and Disney Wonder 3 nights --- December 5, 2008 * Beach Club Resort --- ]une 13, 2009 * Disney Magic 7 nights --- June 4 to 18, 2010 * Bay Lake Towers --- [COLOR="Red"]June 12 to 17, 2011 * Disney Dream --- December 16-20, 2011 * Bay Lake Towers --- May 31 to June 11 2012 * Aulani --- February 1-5, 2013 * Disney Magic --- June 15, 2013 * Disney Fantasy 7 night Eastern Caribbean --- November 24, 2013 * Disney Magic 5 night Western Caribbean --- June 10-14, 2014 * Aulani
Looking forward to many more with DW (Texas Disney Fan) and DS14!!

DISDad member #2

dbenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #437
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'
 
sullins5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MS
Posts: 2,144

Harbor House...

Thought I'd give the scoop on our recent hotel stay at Harbor House on Sept 27th for our Wonder cruise. You pay $10 parking for the one night, but since they are a sister hotel to Hotel Galvez, you can park your car there free for the week.

We liked the hotel, which had a view, and we watched the Wonder come in. The rooms were adequate and clean, but must have thin walls because we heard everything! The continental breakfast was fine for us consisting of instant Kashi oatmeal, a tray of danishes, and a tray of breads to toast, orange juice, apple juice, water, tea and coffee. And apples, oranges, and bananas.

The only 'down' side to this hotel was that when we arrived, I asked how the shuttle worked. She explained that she'd have to call Hotel Galvez and see what time I could board their shuttle for the port after taking my car over there on Saturday morning. The earliest time she had was 12:30 pm! I told her my PAT time was 11am, and she said that was the best she could do. I asked her if this shuttle time was something I should have booked months ago, and she said "No, I have to call them". So, in lieu of taking their shuttle, we were going to drop off part of our family at the port with all the luggage, and one of us take the car to Hotel Galvez and then take a taxi over to the port. However, one of our wonderful Dis'ers (ukintheus), who we met at the hotel, came over and offered to shuttle us back to the port from the hotel. What a blessing! So, a heads up for those future cruisers staying at HH. Know before you go, that parking is free, but their shuttle is at their time, not yours.
__________________
'93 off-site WDW, '94 CBR May & Oct., '98 CBR, '01 CBR, '04 CBR, '05 Peabody, '06 Pop, '06 Embassy Suites, '08 CBR, '09 CBR, '10 CBR, '11 Oct Disney Magic, '12 May CBR, '13 Sept Disney Wonder
sullins5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #438
kjackson83
Earning My Ears
 
kjackson83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTo5 View Post
This is the hotel that we ultimately decided on as well ~ we booked a King Studio & a 2-bdrm Suite! I spent several days looking at websites, comparing rates, looking at parking & shuttle options and this hotel was the winner. It looks very nice!!!

kjackson83 - When is your cruise? Ours is November 30th. If cruise before us, could you please report back on how your experience was including the shuttle and parking. We would really appreciate it!!!
We also booked the 2 bedroom suite and our cruise is Nov 9th so I will let you know how it goes I called the front desk to ask about the shuttle service and they said the shuttle guy arrives early morning (7:45am ish) and can take us to port anytime we need to go!
__________________
WDW-2008/2009/2011
DCL-2001/2008/2009/2010/2011/2013/2015
(me) (DH) (DD 2) (DD 3mths) (2 dogs)
kjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #439
DCLShel
"Doesn't everyone have a 3-foot Mickey topiary in their house?"
 
DCLShel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pawnee, Illinois
Posts: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullins5 View Post
Thought I'd give the scoop on our recent hotel stay at Harbor House on Sept 27th for our Wonder cruise. You pay $10 parking for the one night, but since they are a sister hotel to Hotel Galvez, you can park your car there free for the week.

We liked the hotel, which had a view, and we watched the Wonder come in. The rooms were adequate and clean, but must have thin walls because we heard everything! The continental breakfast was fine for us consisting of instant Kashi oatmeal, a tray of danishes, and a tray of breads to toast, orange juice, apple juice, water, tea and coffee. And apples, oranges, and bananas.

The only 'down' side to this hotel was that when we arrived, I asked how the shuttle worked. She explained that she'd have to call Hotel Galvez and see what time I could board their shuttle for the port after taking my car over there on Saturday morning. The earliest time she had was 12:30 pm! I told her my PAT time was 11am, and she said that was the best she could do. I asked her if this shuttle time was something I should have booked months ago, and she said "No, I have to call them". So, in lieu of taking their shuttle, we were going to drop off part of our family at the port with all the luggage, and one of us take the car to Hotel Galvez and then take a taxi over to the port. However, one of our wonderful Dis'ers (ukintheus), who we met at the hotel, came over and offered to shuttle us back to the port from the hotel. What a blessing! So, a heads up for those future cruisers staying at HH. Know before you go, that parking is free, but their shuttle is at their time, not yours.
Thanks for the info! We're staying at Harbor House in Nov. I know the hotel is close to the port. Is it within walking distance? If you don't have a car to park, how do you get to the Hotel Galvez to get the shuttle?
__________________
Disney Fantasy: March, 2012 (Maiden Voyage); June, 2013;Disney Dream: Jan, 2011 (Maiden Voyage); Disney Magic: Oct, 2004; Oct, 2005; Aug, 2006; Oct, 2007; Sept, 2008; June, 2009; June, 2011 Disney Wonder:Oct, 2006; July, 2008, June, 2012; Nov, 2013 Platinum Baby!

DCLShel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #440
gleefulreader
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 18

I'm hoping someone can help. This is our first Disney cruise out of Galveston (our previous Disney cruises were out of Port Canaveral). We have booked the Disney ground transportation. Can anyone tell me where the meeting point is (which terminal) for the Disney ground transportation, and what time they start running?

Thanks!
gleefulreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #441
ukintheus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Magnolia, Texas
Posts: 1,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCLShel View Post
Thanks for the info! We're staying at Harbor House in Nov. I know the hotel is close to the port. Is it within walking distance? If you don't have a car to park, how do you get to the Hotel Galvez to get the shuttle?
If you don't have a car, then then shuttle from the Galvez stops at Harbor House on it's way to port. You can walk to the port from Harbor House, it just depends on how much luggage you have as to how difficult it would be.
__________________
Wandering The Gulf on the Wonder - Inaugural Bahamas Cruise Trip Report
Magic Your Way to the Magic Kingdom...another Galveston trip report
Our Magical Trip From The Lone Star State - Oct 13, 2012

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #442
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'
 
sullins5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MS
Posts: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCLShel View Post
Thanks for the info! We're staying at Harbor House in Nov. I know the hotel is close to the port. Is it within walking distance? If you don't have a car to park, how do you get to the Hotel Galvez to get the shuttle?
Yes! You are close enough to walk! Like ukintheus said...it really depends on how much luggage you have and how much you want to carry!
__________________
'93 off-site WDW, '94 CBR May & Oct., '98 CBR, '01 CBR, '04 CBR, '05 Peabody, '06 Pop, '06 Embassy Suites, '08 CBR, '09 CBR, '10 CBR, '11 Oct Disney Magic, '12 May CBR, '13 Sept Disney Wonder

Last edited by sullins5; 10-08-2013 at 06:25 PM.
sullins5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #443
MommyTo5
DIS Veteran
 
MommyTo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Right behind the Magic Kingdom!
Posts: 1,189

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson83 View Post
We also booked the 2 bedroom suite and our cruise is Nov 9th so I will let you know how it goes I called the front desk to ask about the shuttle service and they said the shuttle guy arrives early morning (7:45am ish) and can take us to port anytime we need to go!
kjackson83 - Thanks so much!!! Really looking forward to staying here... I think it will be a great start to our cruise vacation! That's great news about the shuttle! Enjoy your cruise!!!
__________________
~ Angie

WDW 3/1978, 3/1984, 1/2001, 2/2002, 9/2002, 1/2003, 2/2004, 2/2006, 2/2007, 1/2008, 10/2009 DLR 6/2010
DCL {MAGIC} Western Caribbean 1/2005, 11/2008, 10/2009 Eastern Caribbean 10/2010
DCL {WONDER} Hawaii 10/2012 Western Caribbean 11/2013 Panama Canal 5/2014
MommyTo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #444
DCLShel
"Doesn't everyone have a 3-foot Mickey topiary in their house?"
 
DCLShel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pawnee, Illinois
Posts: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukintheus View Post

If you don't have a car, then then shuttle from the Galvez stops at Harbor House on it's way to port. You can walk to the port from Harbor House, it just depends on how much luggage you have as to how difficult it would be.
Thank you!
__________________
Disney Fantasy: March, 2012 (Maiden Voyage); June, 2013;Disney Dream: Jan, 2011 (Maiden Voyage); Disney Magic: Oct, 2004; Oct, 2005; Aug, 2006; Oct, 2007; Sept, 2008; June, 2009; June, 2011 Disney Wonder:Oct, 2006; July, 2008, June, 2012; Nov, 2013 Platinum Baby!

DCLShel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #445
DCLShel
"Doesn't everyone have a 3-foot Mickey topiary in their house?"
 
DCLShel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pawnee, Illinois
Posts: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullins5 View Post
Yes! You are close enough to walk! Like ukintheus said...it really depends on how much luggage you have and how much you want to carry!
Thank you, too!
__________________
Disney Fantasy: March, 2012 (Maiden Voyage); June, 2013;Disney Dream: Jan, 2011 (Maiden Voyage); Disney Magic: Oct, 2004; Oct, 2005; Aug, 2006; Oct, 2007; Sept, 2008; June, 2009; June, 2011 Disney Wonder:Oct, 2006; July, 2008, June, 2012; Nov, 2013 Platinum Baby!

DCLShel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #446
4talamantes
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 20

Question

Have not found an answer to this by searching, need a little Galveston help here. We are driving from the Midwest and departing 12/14 - the night of the 13th we plan to arrive at Lafayette, LA and spend the night there, finishing our drive the morning of the 14th. (Looks like about 4 hours which is fine - we have no need to be "first on the ship" since we can't get into our stateroom and it's a 7-night cruise.)

ANYWAY, the real question is that we are planning to NOT drive anywhere near Houston and want to take I-10 to Winnie and go south on 124/87 and take the ferry. Is this going to be a problem? Anyone know if the ferry is extremely packed on Saturdays?
__________________
Had a great first Disney Cruise
Wonder - Bahamas 12/14/13
with DS8 and DD6

Now counting down to:
Magic - W. Caribbean 12/14/14
*AND* Wonder - Alaska 8/3/15
4talamantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #447
tajz90
Mama D
 
tajz90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4talamantes View Post
Have not found an answer to this by searching, need a little Galveston help here. We are driving from the Midwest and departing 12/14 - the night of the 13th we plan to arrive at Lafayette, LA and spend the night there, finishing our drive the morning of the 14th. (Looks like about 4 hours which is fine - we have no need to be "first on the ship" since we can't get into our stateroom and it's a 7-night cruise.)

ANYWAY, the real question is that we are planning to NOT drive anywhere near Houston and want to take I-10 to Winnie and go south on 124/87 and take the ferry. Is this going to be a problem? Anyone know if the ferry is extremely packed on Saturdays?
Probably not packed during that time of the year. Typical trip usually takes about 20 minutes. I would make sure that you left a little earlier in case there is traffic. Good luck
tajz90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #448
4talamantes
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
Probably not packed during that time of the year. Typical trip usually takes about 20 minutes. I would make sure that you left a little earlier in case there is traffic. Good luck
Thank you so much! We plan to have a cushion of several hours, of course, just to be safe. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't foolishly assuming that we would not have to wait a terribly long time to get on a ferry. Thanks again!
__________________
Had a great first Disney Cruise
Wonder - Bahamas 12/14/13
with DS8 and DD6

Now counting down to:
Magic - W. Caribbean 12/14/14
*AND* Wonder - Alaska 8/3/15
4talamantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #449
levenhopper
DIS Veteran
 
levenhopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 595

Help me decide!

My two best friends and I are on the 11/30 cruise. When we originally booked, we included DCL transfers to/from IAH ($90 round trip per person, $270 total).

I just looked at car rentals for the week, and I can rent a car for $199 (including all fees and taxes). Adding in $65 for parking at the port, its break-even with the DCL transfer cost (maybe a bit more figuring in tolls and gas, but not a huge deal for us).

Are we better off renting a car and driving ourselves?

Pros: 1) No waiting for a DCL bus to fill up before it leaves the airport, maybe saving us some time. 2) Allows us to stop at a liquor store on the way to buy alcohol to carry on board (since we don't want to deal with checking it on the airplane but can't carry it on). 3) Gives us freedom on our last day to go to Houston for a few hours (our return flight doesn't leave IAH until 8:12PM, but DCL would just take us right to the airport early in the AM after disembarking).

Cons: 1) Need to deal with rental check-in/check-out. 2) Our flight arrives in IAH on the day of cruise departure at 10:14AM...if we hit traffic or any other snags (obviously not related to airfare issues) we have a better chance of the ship being held for us if we are on a DCL transfer. 3) It just adds one more thing that could go wrong as we get ready to head on our amazing vacation.

I have no idea if DCL transfers are refundable at this point, so this question might not even matter. I'm just curious what y'all thought before calling DCL to figure that out.

I (briefly) played with the idea of using a private limo company, but again it'd be around the same price after adding in gratuities.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
levenhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #450
ukintheus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Magnolia, Texas
Posts: 1,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by levenhopper View Post
Help me decide!

My two best friends and I are on the 11/30 cruise. When we originally booked, we included DCL transfers to/from IAH ($90 round trip per person, $270 total).

I just looked at car rentals for the week, and I can rent a car for $199 (including all fees and taxes). Adding in $65 for parking at the port, its break-even with the DCL transfer cost (maybe a bit more figuring in tolls and gas, but not a huge deal for us).

Are we better off renting a car and driving ourselves?

Pros: 1) No waiting for a DCL bus to fill up before it leaves the airport, maybe saving us some time. 2) Allows us to stop at a liquor store on the way to buy alcohol to carry on board (since we don't want to deal with checking it on the airplane but can't carry it on). 3) Gives us freedom on our last day to go to Houston for a few hours (our return flight doesn't leave IAH until 8:12PM, but DCL would just take us right to the airport early in the AM after disembarking).

Cons: 1) Need to deal with rental check-in/check-out. 2) Our flight arrives in IAH on the day of cruise departure at 10:14AM...if we hit traffic or any other snags (obviously not related to airfare issues) we have a better chance of the ship being held for us if we are on a DCL transfer. 3) It just adds one more thing that could go wrong as we get ready to head on our amazing vacation.

I have no idea if DCL transfers are refundable at this point, so this question might not even matter. I'm just curious what y'all thought before calling DCL to figure that out.

I (briefly) played with the idea of using a private limo company, but again it'd be around the same price after adding in gratuities.

Thanks in advance!
Hmm...I've been mulling this over and can't really decide what I would do if I were in your place. I can give you some information, I don't know if it will help anything. All of the car rental companies are in one place, separate from the terminal buildings, and require a shuttle. The shuttle can take from 5 to 10 minutes to get from the terminal to the rental location. The same is true that when you drop the car off you have to drop at the rental building and take a shuttle back to the terminals.

OK, so if I had to make a decision this is what I think I would do. I am wondering if you can do DCL to get down to Galveston (there is a liquor store on the Strand that is walking distance from the cruise terminal) and then a private town car back to IAH, which means you could spend the day in Galveston? Dickens on the Strand is going to be going on in Galveston the Saturday that you get back. It starts at 10 am, so you could spend almost all day enjoying that and then get a town car back to the airport at about 5 pm.

HTH's. Let us know what you end up doing.
__________________
Wandering The Gulf on the Wonder - Inaugural Bahamas Cruise Trip Report
Magic Your Way to the Magic Kingdom...another Galveston trip report
Our Magical Trip From The Lone Star State - Oct 13, 2012

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: