Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
DisneyFave
Mouseketeer

2 nights at Grand Floridian

Hi everyone!! I am just loving all these GF info threads! The planning is 75% of the fun if you ask me.

I am hoping to get some advice on my 3-day itinerary for my first solo trip to WDW and my first stay at my lifelong dream resort, the GF, for Veteran's day. I list my ideas and a few q's for y'all below.

Day 1 - Arrive MCO at 11:15am. Hope to be in Hollywood Studios by 2 (ambitious?) then will stay until 6:30 to catch Osborne lights. Then will walk the mile over to Epcot (I did it once in daylight--its safe for a woman by herself in the dark, right?). Will tour World showcase for 2 hours and then catch illuminations and then the monorail to GF.

Day 2 - enjoy my dream resort! Maybe I'll walk to the Poly too. Then at 4 I'll either eat dinner on the beach and race to MVMCP or linger on beach until sunset and then race to MVMCP. Would it be a better use of time to catch sunset on the GF beach, or get into MK at 4?

Day 3 - wake up late, walk around the GF some more (maybe pop over to MK just because I can!) then checkout and head to epcot future world for 3 hours before catching magical express at 3:30.

Whew! Thanks for reading to this point if you made it!

2014 - Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House
2013 - Grand Floridian / Polynesian
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
2010, 2012 - Hilton WDW
1996, 1998 - Dixie Landings / Poly
1993 - Holiday Inn

DisneyFave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
mrsclark
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFave View Post
Hi everyone!! I am just loving all these GF info threads! The planning is 75% of the fun if you ask me.

I am hoping to get some advice on my 3-day itinerary for my first solo trip to WDW and my first stay at my lifelong dream resort, the GF, for Veteran's day. I list my ideas and a few q's for y'all below.

Day 1 - Arrive MCO at 11:15am. Hope to be in Hollywood Studios by 2 (ambitious?) then will stay until 6:30 to catch Osborne lights. Then will walk the mile over to Epcot (I did it once in daylight--its safe for a woman by herself in the dark, right?). Will tour World showcase for 2 hours and then catch illuminations and then the monorail to GF.

Day 2 - enjoy my dream resort! Maybe I'll walk to the Poly too. Then at 4 I'll either eat dinner on the beach and race to MVMCP or linger on beach until sunset and then race to MVMCP. Would it be a better use of time to catch sunset on the GF beach, or get into MK at 4?

Day 3 - wake up late, walk around the GF some more (maybe pop over to MK just because I can!) then checkout and head to epcot future world for 3 hours before catching magical express at 3:30.

I know what people always say - you are never completely safe anywhere, but I would feel safe walking by myself from DHS to Epcot. However, we were there two and a half weeks ago and all the lights along the path were completely off all the way from DHS to Boardwalk, probably wouldn't have done that walk alone, but I was with DH (this was right after a thunderstorm - have no idea if that was the cause or not)! But on a normal night, with the lights fully operational, I would feel safe.

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!

Last edited by mrsclark; 09-23-2013 at 07:27 PM.
mrsclark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFave View Post

Will the Osborne lights be going by Veterans Day? You may need to stay a little beyond 6:30 to watch them. If you don't feel safe walking between DHS and Epcot then just take the boat, it's a beautiful ride. Before you take the Epcot monorail back to the TTC at the end of the day verify that the MK monorail is still running.

I really like spending time just relaxing in the lobby @ the GF - so I'd add that to my list of to dos.

I don't think you'll have time to do both MK and Epcot - I'd probably opt for one or the other and allow plenty of time to get back to the GF for DME pick up

My suggestions are in blue. Have a lovely time.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Dh and I will be there at GF the same dates!

We are celebrating our anniversary and first visit to RPC(main building).
( it feels like an alone trip for me because dd just left for college and ds16 will be staying home with friends).

I am keeping my fingers crossed we get good weather

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
trishadono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Chaoticsweetness
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFave

Its not dark on the walk. Its very well lit. Security also monitors it closely at night, my sister & I walked from Epcot to DHS to get to my car after 9pm. So far it sounds good to me. Have a great time!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

I know you want to enjoy the GF since it's your first visit, but if you're paying extra for MVMCP, I would go in MK at 4 to enjoy the party.

We also enjoy spending lots of time in the lobby, listening to the band and piano music, tho I realize you want to get in park time too, so you won't have that luxury. You'll just have to plan a longer stay at the GF next time!

grannyminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
DisneyFave
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Thanks everyone!! I think I will head over to MK at 4 like y'all are suggesting

2014 - Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House
2013 - Grand Floridian / Polynesian
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
2010, 2012 - Hilton WDW
1996, 1998 - Dixie Landings / Poly
1993 - Holiday Inn