Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Twirl Mania question?

Hello! I hope this is an okay place to put this post, but I have a few questions!

My husband directs a college marching band and we've added a Twirler to the band this year. She received an invite to compete at Twirlmania (Twirl-Mania? Twirl Mania?) and we're so proud and excited! In looking over their materials, they also have guard (flag/rifle) events, and so we're considering taking some of our Color Guard members as well- she's a part of the "team" and we want to be able to support her!

So some of my questions are:
  • How much free time would the girls get? Ticket prices are pretty great, but are they really going to have much time to ride rides?
  • Is there any transportation from ASSp and WWoS?
  • If we bought the dining plan, does WWoS accept those credits? I'm thinking the QS plan would be best?

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

I don't have any experience with Twirlmania, but my older daughter did the Americheer competition at Disney and younger daughter did Contest of Champions at Disney. I'm making the assumption that all of these competitions are pretty much the same in certain respects.

We'd fly down on Thursday and fly home Monday, and that gave the girls enough practice time before the competition and plenty of park time.

You'll know what your competition time is at WWoS so you won't have to spend the whole day there. Which is good, because as I recall, the dining credits aren't valid at the Milkhouse (or whatever they're call it these days). The girls used the credits in the parks or at the food court.

The competition provided special buses from the All Stars to the WWoS facility.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Hello! I hope this is an okay place to put this post, but I have a few questions!

My husband directs a college marching band and we've added a Twirler to the band this year. She received an invite to compete at Twirlmania (Twirl-Mania? Twirl Mania?) and we're so proud and excited! In looking over their materials, they also have guard (flag/rifle) events, and so we're considering taking some of our Color Guard members as well- she's a part of the "team" and we want to be able to support her!

So some of my questions are:
  • How much free time would the girls get? Ticket prices are pretty great, but are they really going to have much time to ride rides?
  • Is there any transportation from ASSp and WWoS?
  • If we bought the dining plan, does WWoS accept those credits? I'm thinking the QS plan would be best?
First off, congratulations.
Second, I can't answer exactly for TwirlMania, but I have been once for Pop Warner and once for a baseball tournament. We added extra days to our stay (I think the base was 3 nights, 4 days) so we could have a few extra "just park" days. We stayed at POR and at CBR. A Mears bus was provided for us both times as transportation. We also had a "contact" at WDW/WWOS who was assigned to us if we had any questions, and that could make changes to our basic package. The days the kids had competitions we had little park time, but that would depend on your scheduled time. Cheer was later in the day; baseball was done by noon usually. We headed to the parks as soon as we got back. HTH a little! (And our trips were in 06 and 07/08 so things may have changed a bit)

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post
First off, congratulations.
Second, I can't answer exactly for TwirlMania, but I have been once for Pop Warner and once for a baseball tournament. We added extra days to our stay (I think the base was 3 nights, 4 days) so we could have a few extra "just park" days. We stayed at POR and at CBR. A Mears bus was provided for us both times as transportation. We also had a "contact" at WDW/WWOS who was assigned to us if we had any questions, and that could make changes to our basic package. The days the kids had competitions we had little park time, but that would depend on your scheduled time. Cheer was later in the day; baseball was done by noon usually. We headed to the parks as soon as we got back. HTH a little! (And our trips were in 06 and 07/08 so things may have changed a bit)
Thank you so much! I'm wondering if we could get a better hotel price with the current promo's… Can we book through my regular TA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
I don't have any experience with Twirlmania, but my older daughter did the Americheer competition at Disney and younger daughter did Contest of Champions at Disney. I'm making the assumption that all of these competitions are pretty much the same in certain respects.

We'd fly down on Thursday and fly home Monday, and that gave the girls enough practice time before the competition and plenty of park time.

You'll know what your competition time is at WWoS so you won't have to spend the whole day there. Which is good, because as I recall, the dining credits aren't valid at the Milkhouse (or whatever they're call it these days). The girls used the credits in the parks or at the food court.

The competition provided special buses from the All Stars to the WWoS facility.
Boo! I was really hoping the dining credits were good over there, since they were making the offer to the girls on the info sheet. Oh well, we can still get yummy breakfast food at the hotel! That's great about the transportation! I was really worried about that, since there is a good chance we will be flying in!

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Shameless bump!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Thank you so much! I'm wondering if we could get a better hotel price with the current promo's… Can we book through my regular TA?

Boo! I was really hoping the dining credits were good over there, since they were making the offer to the girls on the info sheet. Oh well, we can still get yummy breakfast food at the hotel! That's great about the transportation! I was really worried about that, since there is a good chance we will be flying in!
I know ours was a base package, including room, park tickets and entrance to WWOS. I thought it was somewhat discounted (I was much more Disney-naive than I am now, though so who knows? ) We added hoppers and as I mentioned extra days. I don't know how much daily entrance to WWOS is but if it's not horribly expensive, maybe booking on your own might be better...especially if you want the dining plan. (But we did this as a team, so maybe the fact that it was a "team" plan makes it different than just going as a single family for an event...kwim?)

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

OP, Twirlmania is a great opportunity! DD did it when she was younger and we had loads of fun! Here's a little about it.

The twirlers start early in the morning, like 8 am, so we were usually up and getting ready about 6 am. Depending on what categories she participates in, there could be more free time. We bought several days tickets and used the magic hours to our advantage to get in park time. We also didn't do the parades but that was because she was on the floor and not able to line up on time due to her participation times.

The only transportation between the resort and WWoS is something you pay extra for. It's directly through TM and not WDW.

The WWoS Grill is included in the quick service dining package.

For discounts, we didn't book through TM because we could get it cheaper without booking with them. You might find the same thing. It wouldn't hurt to check for sure.

Enjoy!! It is a most fun time!!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post
I know ours was a base package, including room, park tickets and entrance to WWOS. I thought it was somewhat discounted (I was much more Disney-naive than I am now, though so who knows? ) We added hoppers and as I mentioned extra days. I don't know how much daily entrance to WWOS is but if it's not horribly expensive, maybe booking on your own might be better...especially if you want the dining plan. (But we did this as a team, so maybe the fact that it was a "team" plan makes it different than just going as a single family for an event...kwim?)
I'm thinking I may could get a better deal with the room only going on right now and then just get my tickets through the program. I'll be booking the "team" so it's kinda my call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmily1 View Post
OP, Twirlmania is a great opportunity! DD did it when she was younger and we had loads of fun! Here's a little about it.

The twirlers start early in the morning, like 8 am, so we were usually up and getting ready about 6 am. Depending on what categories she participates in, there could be more free time. We bought several days tickets and used the magic hours to our advantage to get in park time. We also didn't do the parades but that was because she was on the floor and not able to line up on time due to her participation times.

The only transportation between the resort and WWoS is something you pay extra for. It's directly through TM and not WDW.

The WWoS Grill is included in the quick service dining package.

For discounts, we didn't book through TM because we could get it cheaper without booking with them. You might find the same thing. It wouldn't hurt to check for sure.

Enjoy!! It is a most fun time!!
I haven't read anything about the transportation services on the T.M. site- of course, their website is not very high quality… Did you have to pay as you got on the bus or is it a payment that they add in somewhere??

Thank you for your replies! This is helping me SO much!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

You pay for it up front. It's somewhere in that whole mess of a flyer that they have. I think it's $42 but don't remember for sure.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You pay for it up front. It's somewhere in that whole mess of a flyer that they have. I think it's $42 but don't remember for sure.
Great! I'll read over it AGAIN…

Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

Try page 11.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Try page 11.
Thanks!!!! Honestly, I think I'd do better if it was printed and in front of me… maybe that's what I should do. Of course, I've never done any events like this before, so it's a bit overwhelming!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: