Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
tdbdolphin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDenver

I forgot to ask you, what time did they begin boarding? Being a newbie I want to get on as soon as possible and had planned on getting to the port as soon as they open the doors but I'm hearing it could be as late as 1pm. Thanks again!
We got a boarding time of 11am for our upcoming cruise.

Carinval Cruise 2002 (first and last)
Disney Magic February 2013
Disney Wonder December 2013
Disney Wonder December 2015
tdbdolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDenver View Post
I forgot to ask you, what time did they begin boarding? Being a newbie I want to get on as soon as possible and had planned on getting to the port as soon as they open the doors but I'm hearing it could be as late as 1pm. Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amejiajr8 View Post
Good question..same here..newbie and juat want to get on boat. Once I am on it will be real. I have one job that day...get family on boat....ok two jobs..with luggage
Family of the Day was announced at 11:45 am and they began boarding. They went through the boarding groups quickly and general boarding was opened up by 12:30 pm.

In Galveston you go through the first security check before you check in. That line typically isn't long, but it's where you go through the hand luggage scanner. Once through there a DCL rep hands you the medical form (you fill it in at the counter when you check in) and they guide you to your check in line. They have 2 lines, one for CC members and one for those that are on their first sailing. The CC member line is on the left, the first time cruisers is on the right. Platinum and Concierge check in is on the far right. There are lots of check in counters, and have DCL reps watching to let you know which line to go to, and so those move fairly quickly. Once you have checked in everyone waits in the same area (with the exception of Platinum and Concierge). They do have one spot where there is a character photo op. It has been Mickey & Minnie when we have been there and they swap them out so sometimes there isn't always a character there. They announce Family of the Day to begin boarding and once they call your boarding number you walk past a DCL rep who checks your boarding number and then through a hallway where the photographers have the backdrops for your boarding photos. This hallway is fairly narrow and so you tend to have to wait on people that are in line for their photos, although once you are "next" you can continue walking. I think they have 4 photographers set up. The theory is that you can walk past them on the right if you don't want embarkation photos, but in reality it's a crawl past them. Then you move on to a second security check where they scan your KTTW card. There is an escalator or an elevator that you take up to the level where the gangway is. The gangway has lots of windows so good photo opportunities along the way. From there it's on to the family name announcement and you are ON!!

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

For your luggage, if you are not on a DCL tranfer, there are porters that will take your luggage when you get to the terminal and transfer them directly to the area to be loaded onto the ship. Once you have dropped your luggage you go through the doors further left from the baggage drop area into the area for security and boarding.

We always have our luggage tags on the bags before we get to the port, drop them with a porter at the terminal and then take our car and park. That way we only have to juggle our hand luggage on the parking shuttles. For most of the parking shuttles, if you choose to park first and take your luggage, the porters come to the parking shuttles to get your luggage, so you shouldn't have to juggle them again once they are on the shuttle. We have always had PAT of 11:00 to 11:30 am and usually drop our luggage by 10:45 am and are back by about 11:00 am.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
Old 10-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

Thanks for posting these. I'll be on the same cruise in 3 weeks. Tell me about the entertainment. I've seen Michael Harrison and Max Winfrey, and I've enjoyed both. Tell me about the other 2 guys. Did you enjoy their acts?
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

And another thank you! Glad to see a couple of "singles" functions --didn't know that DCL did those (altho I expect not very many folks will be there). And also glad to see lots of different Trivia opps.
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Thanks for posting these. I'll be on the same cruise in 3 weeks. Tell me about the entertainment. I've seen Michael Harrison and Max Winfrey, and I've enjoyed both. Tell me about the other 2 guys. Did you enjoy their acts?
I have to be honest. We didn't see any of them!! I had promised my DH that this time it was going to be a go-with-the-flow vacation and so the time just never really fit. We heard good things about Magic Dave but didn't see him in person.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #22
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecllap View Post
And another thank you! Glad to see a couple of "singles" functions --didn't know that DCL did those (altho I expect not very many folks will be there). And also glad to see lots of different Trivia opps.
The trivia was a lot of fun. This time was the first time we have done them and we had a great time. We did the adult only ones but that's only because we are so hopeless the kids would have embarrassed us!! LOL.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
Mekamax
Earning My Ears

I noticed there wasn't a Seafood buffet listed. Do they still have it? THANKS! Did you send anything at the Post Office in Castway Cay? How did it work?
Mekamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
GoofyLovingFamily
Mouseketeer

We have mailed a postcard from Castaway. The post office is cash only. It took our postcard 2 months to arrive. I have heard others say theirs took longer than that.
GoofyLovingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekamax View Post
I noticed there wasn't a Seafood buffet listed. Do they still have it? THANKS! Did you send anything at the Post Office in Castway Cay? How did it work?
Yes, there was a seafood buffet on the last at sea day in BBB. At CC you have to have cash to pay for your postage and it takes a LOOOOONGGG time to get there! Also the post office closes at 2 pm, so be sure to get there before then.

Jenny & Scott
Old 10-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
mydisneydream
Earning My Ears

It was a FANTASTIC trip! In fine Disney fashion, everything moved along beautifully! The port may not have the "trappings" of Port Canaveral, but the lines move quickly, and the faces are just as friendly! The comedians/magicians were hilarious (saw them at the WD Theatre). Love how they always bring the kids into what they are doing!

We mailed from Key West. We had mailed from CC previously, and it took 4 months for the postcards to arrive!

I would love to know what the "passenger capacity" was on this sailing! It was no where NEAR full!

Everyone have fun on your upcoming cruises!

The Disney Wonder Sep 28-Oct 5, 2013 (Parents Only Cruise!)
The Disney Fantasy March 16-23, 2013
Port Orleans Riverside March 15, 2013
The Disney Dream (1st cruise) Oct 20-23, 2011
Port Orleans Riverside Oct 19, 2011
WDW/Port Orleans Riverside June 19-24, 2007
mydisneydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for the navigators.

I have a couple questions about the embarkation/debarkation process.

1. Can you check your kids into the clubs in the port or do you have to do that on the ship? What were the lines like?
2. What was the earliest time you could get into the port? I am scheduled for an 11 a.m. arrival time for our cruise in December and was wondering if I should try for an upgrade.
3. For the debarkation did you have to wait for your luggage tag to be called before you could leave the ship or was it setup where you could just walk off when you were finished with breakfast and customs had cleared the ship?
(the reason I ask is we had a horrible debark experience on the Wonder in L.A. because we didn't know we would be the last getting off after having an early breakfast time). I would like to plan ahead and have activities for our kids or something to do if we'll be last.
4. If the luggage tags needed to be called in order to get off the ship does anyone know the order they were called?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #28
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydisneydream View Post
It was a FANTASTIC trip! In fine Disney fashion, everything moved along beautifully! The port may not have the "trappings" of Port Canaveral, but the lines move quickly, and the faces are just as friendly! The comedians/magicians were hilarious (saw them at the WD Theatre). Love how they always bring the kids into what they are doing!

We mailed from Key West. We had mailed from CC previously, and it took 4 months for the postcards to arrive!

I would love to know what the "passenger capacity" was on this sailing! It was no where NEAR full!

Everyone have fun on your upcoming cruises!
We were told several times that our sailing was almost full. I agree it didn't feel like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
Thanks so much for the navigators.

I have a couple questions about the embarkation/debarkation process.

1. Can you check your kids into the clubs in the port or do you have to do that on the ship? What were the lines like?
2. What was the earliest time you could get into the port? I am scheduled for an 11 a.m. arrival time for our cruise in December and was wondering if I should try for an upgrade.
3. For the debarkation did you have to wait for your luggage tag to be called before you could leave the ship or was it setup where you could just walk off when you were finished with breakfast and customs had cleared the ship?
(the reason I ask is we had a horrible debark experience on the Wonder in L.A. because we didn't know we would be the last getting off after having an early breakfast time). I would like to plan ahead and have activities for our kids or something to do if we'll be last.
4. If the luggage tags needed to be called in order to get off the ship does anyone know the order they were called?
1. Can you check your kids into the clubs in the port or do you have to do that on the ship? What were the lines like? Yes, you can check your kids in at the terminal. The kids club check in is to your right once you have cleared security. The check in is behind a wall, so I couldn't tell you what the lines looked like, hopefully someone that had kids on this sailing can help you.
2. What was the earliest time you could get into the port? I am scheduled for an 11 a.m. arrival time for our cruise in December and was wondering if I should try for an upgrade. I think you can begin arriving at about 10:30 am, but really it all depends on how the debarkation has gone for the people just getting back as they won't start letting you drop bags etc if the prior cruise hasn't cleared customs. We have arrived right at 11 am before and there were quite a few people in the terminal already.
(the reason I ask is we had a horrible debark experience on the Wonder in L.A. because we didn't know we would be the last getting off after having an early breakfast time). I would like to plan ahead and have activities for our kids or something to do if we'll be last. If you keep your luggage with you in your stateroom then you can do Express Walkoff and you don't have to wait for a luggage tag color to be called. If you are going to have breakfast on your dining rotation then you have to wait for your luggage tag color to be called. I think once they start calling luggage though, it goes fairly quickly.
4. If the luggage tags needed to be called in order to get off the ship does anyone know the order they were called? I don't know the answer to that. I know that White, Grey and Pink were the first colors to be called on this past sailing.

Jenny & Scott

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: