Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

My kids 9 and 10 don't like the lab and anymore either. My 10 year old was able to move up to the edge(I had to sign a waiver). He loved it I couldn't get him out of there. My 9 year old has lost interest in the lab. I think they really need a separate club for the 9-11 year olds so they don't have to be mixed in with the preschoolers. By age 9 most kids are playing really advanced computer games, and the lab just doesn't cut it. We will be on the Magic next cruise, and I'm hoping the new adventure area will be interesting for my 9 year old.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
lucyem
DIS Veteran

One thing that helped for our boys was being on top of the activities schedules for them. We almost never dropped them off at random times, we aimed for a planned activity. I would go over the navigator with them and see what was going on when and where. Then when I dropped them off I would remind them of the actual activity.
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
My kids 9 and 10 don't like the lab and anymore either. My 10 year old was able to move up to the edge(I had to sign a waiver). He loved it I couldn't get him out of there. My 9 year old has lost interest in the lab. I think they really need a separate club for the 9-11 year olds so they don't have to be mixed in with the preschoolers. By age 9 most kids are playing really advanced computer games, and the lab just doesn't cut it. We will be on the Magic next cruise, and I'm hoping the new adventure area will be interesting for my 9 year old.
Totally agree. We're not going to sail DCL again until our youngest is old enough for the Edge. The wonder was slightly better then the dream, because the 2 'sides' are actually separate. So her club was mostly the older/lab-aged kids. On the dream though it was a free for all. Fortunately for us it these are our 'family time' holidays so we're not too set on alone time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
One thing that helped for our boys was being on top of the activities schedules for them. We almost never dropped them off at random times, we aimed for a planned activity. I would go over the navigator with them and see what was going on when and where. Then when I dropped them off I would remind them of the actual activity.
We do this too. We take a highlighter, one colour for each family member, and then each night before bed we sit, with milk and cookies , and highlight what we want to do the next day. To the OP, it might encourage them to go.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #19
rjlit
Earning My Ears

My girls didn't like the clubs and only went if there was an activity they wanted to participate in. We husband and I were thrilled that they wanted to hang out with their parents and we encouraged them to do so! They grow up so fast that if they would rather be with us then we weren't going to say no!
rjlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
SuperGator6
Earning My Ears

thanks for the ideas! my DD (8) has never cruised but is already refusing the club. I am gonna have her check it out - but won't force her. I hope she finds a few activities she is interested in as I would love a little alone time - but it is a family vacation - so we will see
SuperGator6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #21
ctc917
DIS Veteran

I have a 10 yr old ds who didn't care to go to the clubs during our last few cruises but when we went on our first cruise our son really enjoyed himself especially when he went from the club to the lab but that all ended when they combined both clubs because my son really doesn't enjoy being around kids a lot younger then himself he enjoys himself a lot better hanging out with kids his age or older. So At this point he can't wait until he's old enough to move up to the next level.

Sorry I'm off topic, I agree have your kids pick things they would like to do and take them to do those and when they are over pick them up..it worked well with our son.

ctc917
ctc917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc917 View Post
I have a 10 yr old ds who didn't care to go to the clubs during our last few cruises but when we went on our first cruise our son really enjoyed himself especially when he went from the club to the lab but that all ended when they combined both clubs because my son really doesn't enjoy being around kids a lot younger then himself he enjoys himself a lot better hanging out with kids his age or older. So At this point he can't wait until he's old enough to move up to the next level.

Sorry I'm off topic, I agree have your kids pick things they would like to do and take them to do those and when they are over pick them up..it worked well with our son.

ctc917
He can get into the Edge at age 10. You have to sign a waiver. My 9 and 10 year old say they have outgrown the games in the lab. Two years ago they loved they lab. I really think Disney needs to realize by age 9 kids are not going to be interested in Club Penquin and Mickey mouse games.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: