Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
emilymad
DIS Veteran

Split Stay and electronics?

We have a split stay booked on our upcoming trip. We always transfer our own luggage after having issues one trip with bell services. What do people do with their electronics? I don't really want to carry around my laptop all day. Leaving it in a locked suitcase with bell services doesn't seem very secure either.
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

If you need Disney to transfer the luggage I don't know that you have much choice. Put it in the luggage and put a lock on it. You do leave the electronics in the room even if locked in the safe. I would be curious to hear a solution.

Maybe take it to the park and put it on a locker there?
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
nkereina
Wendy Darling

You say you transfer your own luggage, so I am assuming you have a car since luggage isn't permitted on the buses. I guess your alternative would be to put it in the trunk, but I'd be concerned about the heat depending on when you're going.

If you leave it with bell services but are not utilizing them to transfer your luggage, that means you would need to go back to resort 1 in order to pick up your items once resort 2 is ready. Or you could go to resort 2 in the morning to check in and have bell services store your items there.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
emilymad
DIS Veteran

Yes, we will have a car. I didn't really want to leave the stuff in the trunk due to heat. I thought about renting a locker but that seemed like a pain but maybe safer?

We used to have Disney transfer our luggage until they lost a bag once. It was eventually found but how they treated the situation was awful. I am not even thrilled to have to leave luggage that I transfer myself with bell services but I don't see a way around that.

In the room we will lock up anything in our luggage that won't fit in the safe. It has less exposure in our room then it does at bell services.

I never feel that locking your luggage keeps things safe. Anyone could just slice the suitcase open if they really wanted to. Not that I think that is really happening.

My parents have had issues, not at Disney, with people rifling through their luggage in hotel rooms so it has made me extra cautious.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I just left my bags with Bell Services. They weren't locked and they contained my iPad and other electronics. I figure I have that claim tag and if something happens, I know who to go after and can prove who was in possession of the bags.

Funny thing is I was more concerned about my Trick or treat candy from MNSSHP.... They assured me the storage room is air conditioned but also offered to put it in the fridge..

Nothing was taken.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

The heat will not harm the electronics. Pack them deep inside the suit case. They probably get warmer while charging than they do sitting Ina car trunk.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
WDWBlaze
Tech Geek by day, Disney Geek by night!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdavis2 View Post
The heat will not harm the electronics. Pack them deep inside the suit case. They probably get warmer while charging than they do sitting Ina car trunk.
This
Oct 07-POP
Jan 09-ASMu
May/June 09-BWI/AKL DisneyMoon!!!!!
Oct 12 Disney Cruise on the Fantasy
May 14 Disneyland Paris
Jan 15 1st Disney Marathon!!!
WDWBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
emilymad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdavis2 View Post
Thanks! We might go with this option.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

We left our luggage in a rental car at DTD for several hours. It was our departure day and our flight wasn't until after 7:00 p.m. We had a laptop, iPad and Kindle stuffed into various bags that were locked in the trunk. Everything was fine, including shampoos and various food items we had packed. It was early August so it was hot!

I would recommend packing the car and going to a park. Then take a break at check-in time so you can drop your bags in your new room.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
DCDisney
On my way...

If you tell Bell Services that you have electronics in a bag they put a special zip tie on it that can only be cut off so you will know if it has been tampered with and then they store it in a more secure area. I personally prefer that to the car but I've done both with no issues.
DCDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Is it true that heat won't harm the electronics? They keep the AC in our AV/IT room set very cold to keep heat out at my work, and whenever we go to the beach my iPhone shuts down due to overheating. I don't think the heat can be good for them
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I don't have a car at wdw, so I take a taxi with my luggage to new resort in the morning, and leave my locked luggage with Bell Service untill my room is ready.

Only issue I had was in August, we were doing a 3 hotel split. Our 1st day while I still had the car rental I went grocery shopping, and drove to the resort we planned on checking into in 3 days to leave groceries. We didn't want to drag groceries around, since we were only at Pop one night, and GF 2. So we dropped off groceries to hold till arrival. Didn't work well. Some groceries went missing
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
WDWBlaze
Tech Geek by day, Disney Geek by night!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Is it true that heat won't harm the electronics? They keep the AC in our AV/IT room set very cold to keep heat out at my work, and whenever we go to the beach my iPhone shuts down due to overheating. I don't think the heat can be good for them

The electronic items would be turned off.
Oct 07-POP
Jan 09-ASMu
May/June 09-BWI/AKL DisneyMoon!!!!!
Oct 12 Disney Cruise on the Fantasy
May 14 Disneyland Paris
Jan 15 1st Disney Marathon!!!
WDWBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
npcougar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBlaze View Post
The electronic items would be turned off.
Exactly this. Electronics while turned on generate much higher temps internally than you would find in Florida. So if it is off, there are no temperature issues.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Never have had any issues doing split stays and having any electronics go missing. we pack it, lock it and forget it.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: