Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #766
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalker1015 View Post
Has anyone run the jogging path before sunrise? If so, did you feel it was safe? Seems a silly question to ask about Disney but you never know....
I'm not a runner, but there are usually a few folks out there before sunrise. The pathways are well-lit and very safe. I love wandering around the resort at that sort of time, it's really peaceful.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-07-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #767
awalker1015
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I'm not a runner, but there are usually a few folks out there before sunrise. The pathways are well-lit and very safe. It love wandering around the resort at that sort of time, it's really peaceful. Andre
Awesome- thank you!
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #768
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

I used it 5 mornings in a row back in January 2012, not a problem at all and I was on it from 6 - 630am -- hardly saw anyone else up and about. I felt perfectly safe....until one morning, I rounded a bend and saw a snake slithering across the path Holy heart failure!

Tom
Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #769
RejoyceoverDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
I used it 5 mornings in a row back in January 2012, not a problem at all and I was on it from 6 - 630am -- hardly saw anyone else up and about. I felt perfectly safe....until one morning, I rounded a bend and saw a snake slithering across the path Holy heart failure!

Tom
EWWWWWWWWWWWW I would have screamed!
I hope it was a small snake that slithered.
I'm paranoid about the alligator thoughts.

Oh my February vacation solo is going to be full of interesting stories I'm sure.

2014 - POFQ 26th Anniversary! giggles and yay!
2014 - POR solo trip, 2013 - CSR (25th Anniversary month)
2010 - POFQ (Celebrating my special friend 79th birthday - We adopted each other as daughter/Mother), 2008 - POP (Special vacation with youngest son before high school)
2002 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons), 2000 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons)
1988 - Polynesian (Honeymoon), 1985 - Disney Land visit one day (girlfriends)
1983 - Disney World (girlfriend - don't remember where we stayed)

Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #770
RejoyceoverDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelhp View Post
Yes, but they didn't volunteer the information at check-in. We saw another guest with them and inquired, and then were given them. Others have apparently had the same experience at other resorts.
Oh I hope they don't run out before I get there in 40 days. I like fun things like that.

2014 - POFQ 26th Anniversary! giggles and yay!
2014 - POR solo trip, 2013 - CSR (25th Anniversary month)
2010 - POFQ (Celebrating my special friend 79th birthday - We adopted each other as daughter/Mother), 2008 - POP (Special vacation with youngest son before high school)
2002 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons), 2000 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons)
1988 - Polynesian (Honeymoon), 1985 - Disney Land visit one day (girlfriends)
1983 - Disney World (girlfriend - don't remember where we stayed)

Old 10-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #771
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejoyceoverDisney View Post

Oh my February vacation solo is going to be full of interesting stories I'm sure.
Who says I didn't scream? Don't worry about the alligators -- I only saw one, and it stayed in the water -- looked like stick floating along -- I called the front desk and they sent some guys who looked like they had a lot of fun catching it -- they told me they are licensed by Florida to capture and release the alligators elsewhere -- probably Universal Studios

Tom
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #772
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
EWWWWWWWWWWWW I would have screamed! I hope it was a small snake that slithered. I'm paranoid about the alligator thoughts. Oh my February vacation solo is going to be full of interesting stories I'm sure.
Looking at the way they do the river banks, it seems like it would be difficult for the alligators to climb out. We never saw one on land any of the times we have stayed river view at POR, POFQ, or THV. I did not know that they catch them though. Good to know.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #773
Skampigirl
To all who have come to this happy place, welcome!

Quote:

I saw one when I was there too! It was in the back garden of Acadian House (near the parking lot). It was decidedly NOT small The CM said it was a yellow rat snake - they are quite common! Fortunately it did not slither back into view while I was there. I've never seen an alligator, but did hear there was a small one in the pool at WLV not very long ago! I think I'd rather have ducks in the pool...

September 2012 / Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10 miler and Mickey's Happy Haunted Trail 5K / Port Orleans Riverside -- January 2013 - Tinkerbell Half Marathon & Neverland 5K, Disneyland / Disneyland Hotel -- November 2013 - Jingle Jungle 5K & Wine & Dine Half Marathon - Port Orleans Riverside -- January 2014 - Girlfriend trip, WL CL -- August 2014 - Trip of a Lifetime - Adventures By Disney Paris/Versailles/Normandy and Disneyland Paris !

Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #774
WishnDisney
Mouseketeer

So, I've been perusing the POR threads over the weekend (okay, actually poring over them). Last June was our first trip and we stayed at CSR, business class. It was great. We are booked there for our trip this coming June, but I'm thinking of changing to POR. I'm struggling with deciding on room choices, though. I have 1 teen and one 1 pre-teen son. There will also be DH. I really am not in love with the look of AB rooms. Do you think my boys will die in a Royal Room? As the only female in a home full of men, I am soooo drawn to these rooms. Even if they are "princess" rooms, they are also very Disney and have those cool headboards.

CSR was soooo quiet, we never heard anybody. We were on the back of the building, and we were also very close to everything. I'm toyin with a royal room, river view, but am afraid of getting put at the very end of Paterre so far away from everything.

What to do, what to do...

Lynne
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #775
Ashlander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Who says I didn't scream? Don't worry about the alligators -- I only saw one, and it stayed in the water -- looked like stick floating along -- I called the front desk and they sent some guys who looked like they had a lot of fun catching it -- they told me they are licensed by Florida to capture and release the alligators elsewhere -- probably Universal Studios

Tom
hahaha

Me, DH, DS(11), DD(10), DD(8)

Old 10-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #776
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skampigirl View Post
I saw one when I was there too! It was in the back garden of Acadian House (near the parking lot). It was decidedly NOT small The CM said it was a yellow rat snake - they are quite common! Fortunately it did not slither back into view while I was there. I've never seen an alligator, but did hear there was a small one in the pool at WLV not very long ago! I think I'd rather have ducks in the pool...
OMG, enough with the snake stories! Y'all are making me second guess staying at POR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishnDisney View Post
So, I've been perusing the POR threads over the weekend (okay, actually poring over them). Last June was our first trip and we stayed at CSR, business class. It was great. We are booked there for our trip this coming June, but I'm thinking of changing to POR. I'm struggling with deciding on room choices, though. I have 1 teen and one 1 pre-teen son. There will also be DH. I really am not in love with the look of AB rooms. Do you think my boys will die in a Royal Room? As the only female in a home full of men, I am soooo drawn to these rooms. Even if they are "princess" rooms, they are also very Disney and have those cool headboards.

CSR was soooo quiet, we never heard anybody. We were on the back of the building, and we were also very close to everything. I'm toyin with a royal room, river view, but am afraid of getting put at the very end of Paterre so far away from everything.

What to do, what to do...

Lynne
I can really relate to the bolded -- that's why we're staying in a Royal Room. My boys are younger (10 and 6) and they're really familiar with all Disney movies (princesses and all) and I know they'll love the fireworks on the headboard. So for us, it won't be a big deal. I know your boys are older, but I say they can suck it up for one trip if it makes Mom happy! And as you can read/see from this thread and Andre's website, they really are more "royal" than "princessy".
Old 10-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #777
awalker1015
Mouseketeer

Snakes! Well I'm from TN and am used to running near a large park where coyotes tend to roam after dark so I guess I'll take snakes over that!

Question- we arrive Saturday (woo hoo!). Planning to do RD at MK Sunday. When should we plan to be at the bus depot that morning? Park opens at 9 that day, I believe.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the help these past few months. My kids are still in the dark and I am so relieved I can break my silence in 5 days!!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #778
emilyhuff
Mouseketeer

Man oh man! and I thought all the little lizards that scurry by were enough to give me shivers (I strongly dislike all little creatures!!!) but now to be on the lookout for snakes and gators! yikes!
May 2007 - Senior Trip All Star Sports
Oct 2012 - Mother/Daughter Trip to POR
May 2013 - 1st trip to Disneyland!
Oct 2013 - w/DBF to POR
Nov 2014- Wine & Dine Half (fingers crossed!)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #779
aroundtheriverbend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelhp View Post
Yes, but they didn't volunteer the information at check-in. We saw another guest with them and inquired, and then were given them. Others have apparently had the same experience at other resorts.
Cool, is it free?

Can't believe it's almost finally here! We pick the kids up after school tomorrow (Tuesday) and head straight to the airport. Just a few more hours of work today and a 1/2 day tomorrow!!

Me DH DS10 DD8
Old 10-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #780
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheriverbend View Post
Cool, is it free?
It's Disney World, nothing is free, but yes, there is no additional charge.

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: